2006 civic; MPG seeing and amount paid.

Old May 31st 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 2006 civic; MPG seeing and amount paid.

Seth > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > A co-worker purchased a Prius not long ago and has been playing with
> > speed vs. fuel economy. At 70-75 mph the Prius doesn't make sense as it
> > delivers only about 42-43 mpg. However, at 60-65 mph my co-worker
> > reports 56 to 58 mpg (consistent with my cousin who reports even better
> > mpg (over 60 mpg) at 55-60 mph). Both reports of great mpg were
> > obtained on pretty flat ground with just the driver aboard.
> >
> > How fast do you want to drive?

> I set the cruise at 71 in a 65. The mileage you report above doesn't seem
> consistent with all the other owners reporting their mileage in this very
> forum.

Which way do think those numbers should differ? Up or down?

70mph cruise... that's hard to do. And that's the problem. If I can
cruise at 70, I can get 50mpg, but more often, attempting to cruise at 70
requires a lot of acceleration, and the mileage drops to mid-40's.
If I think I'm crusing at 70, it's more likely that I'm fluctuating between
60-75 with traffic snarls, and driving hard.

My 2003 Civic Hybrid CVT, for a distance of 60 miles or mo
42 MPG at 80MPH, San Jose to Sacramento, I-680/205/5
50 MPG at 70MPH, San Jose to Benicia, I-680
59 MPG at 60MPH, San Jose to Benicia, I-680
65 MPG at 50MPH, Lake County to Napa County, country road.

> Me, I'm not buying anything till my current car dies. I have an '01 V6
> Accord and I'm currently getting 28mpg.

My neighbor does about 130 miles a day. 90-something Honda Accord,
purchased new, 350k+ miles, no major repairs.

Don't forget comfort. I think you're right that a highway commute reduces
the difference between big and small. It also reduces what I consider the
handling factor, where I prefer a smaller car on winding roads.

A friend was doing a long commute in a Honda Insight, and gave it up. The
ride was too harsh.

Another friend, doing a _long_ commute, bought nothing but used taxis.
He never did any repairs. If something broke, he'd sell/dump it and buy a
new one.

--
---
Old May 31st 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Used is definitely not out of the question. I have never bought a new
> car and with my experiences with the new car salesmen... i probably
> never will. I just got tired of seeing 14 to 15k used civics and
> figured maybe it might be worth paying a little more up front. Also
> with the mileage I'm looking at, a 100k warranty caused me to think a
> little. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards used.
> It's just a pain finding one that is in great shape and a value. I
> can't tell you how many I've called on only to find out they were
> already sold. (Thanks to the gas prices) Or to find what appears to
> be a steal only to see that the car was registered in Louisiana. I am
> tennacious though.
>
> The commute is going to be for the next 4 years. Not looking forward
> to it, but at this time I can't see reason to uproot the family. I
> wish they had trains here. I do have friends and family to stay
> with so the commute will not have to be every day. However, I do plan
> to be home as much as possible.... baseball, soccer... and plenty of
> other honey do lists : )
>
> I just want to hear a few opinions and maybe hear from some who
> currently have a long commute.
>
> BTW: I really liked the rec of good tunes and cold ac. The later
> beeing a must since it was 95 here today.
>
> Thanks again,
> Paul
>
> Keep the posts comming

You really do get value out of a used car but here's something else to think
about. I've always bought used, but after a while they do need repairs.
Another question to ask yourself: Are you able to spare the down time in
the shop or do you have a 2nd car when it goes to the shop? Of course, some
used cars will need more repairs than others. New cars will eventually need
maintenance done too. Question is, how frequently and how much? With the
amount of driving you'll be doing it doesn't sound like you would have much
time taking it in for repairs.

-Dave

Old May 31st 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

if it were me, I would buy new with the Honda care zero deductible 8
year/120k warranty for about a grand. He may have worries but there won't
be car worries with that for quite a while.

Old May 31st 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wrote:

> Right now Nissan dealers are selling
> new base Sentras for well under $11K (to make way for the 2007s).

Unfortunately, the current Sentra hasn't been as reliable as previous
versions. Not to mention the seats are rock hard.
Old June 1st 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dave L" > wrote:
>
>> Another question to ask yourself: Are you able to spare the down time in
>> the shop or do you have a 2nd car when it goes to the shop?

> Excellent questions to ask, yes.
>
> I'm fortunate in that I myself have two great source for repair: the
> only Honda mechanic I'll let touch my car works evening shift at the
> dealership that has service until midnight, and all my non-Honda work
> goes to the local service station 2 blocks away. He takes me right in
> and gets me right out, no hassles. I'm happy to leave the car on
> Saturday while I do something else.

Service at a dealership open 'till MIDNIGHT??? Never heard that one before.
Used to be a place up the street which stayed open 'till 9pm and even they
cut back. I happened to find a Honda mechanic that does side work in the
evenings and weekends so I can go there.

> But if you don't have a good support team, take that into account. Also
> understand that even a new car can require time in the shop. You *hope*
> to minimize or eliminate that by buying a Honda (or Toyota).
>
> In fact, *the* way to absolutely minimize that possibility is to buy a
> new, basic, 4 cylinder manual transmission Honda or Toyota--a Civic or a
> Corolla, or even a 4 banger Accord. Japanese 4 cylinder/manual trans
> drivetrains are jewels to behold, and are utterly bulletproof.

Good to hear since I now have a manual 4-cylinder '05 Accord. :-)

Old June 1st 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> wrote in message
> Seth > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> > A co-worker purchased a Prius not long ago and has been playing with
>> > speed vs. fuel economy. At 70-75 mph the Prius doesn't make sense as it
>> > delivers only about 42-43 mpg. However, at 60-65 mph my co-worker
>> > reports 56 to 58 mpg (consistent with my cousin who reports even better
>> > mpg (over 60 mpg) at 55-60 mph). Both reports of great mpg were
>> > obtained on pretty flat ground with just the driver aboard.
>> >
>> > How fast do you want to drive?

>> I set the cruise at 71 in a 65. The mileage you report above doesn't
>> seem
>> consistent with all the other owners reporting their mileage in this very
>> forum.

> Which way do think those numbers should differ? Up or down?

Down based on previous reports here of Hybrid mileage.

> 70mph cruise... that's hard to do. And that's the problem. If I can
> cruise at 70, I can get 50mpg, but more often, attempting to cruise at 70
> requires a lot of acceleration, and the mileage drops to mid-40's.
> If I think I'm crusing at 70, it's more likely that I'm fluctuating
> between
> 60-75 with traffic snarls, and driving hard.
>
> My 2003 Civic Hybrid CVT, for a distance of 60 miles or mo
> 42 MPG at 80MPH, San Jose to Sacramento, I-680/205/5
> 50 MPG at 70MPH, San Jose to Benicia, I-680
> 59 MPG at 60MPH, San Jose to Benicia, I-680
> 65 MPG at 50MPH, Lake County to Napa County, country road.

But what kind of mileage would you get driving the same roads the same way
in a non-Hybrid Civic? That's the major question in determining if it is
worth it or not. They seem very worth the extra expense for city drving.
Not so much on highway driving.

>> Me, I'm not buying anything till my current car dies. I have an '01 V6
>> Accord and I'm currently getting 28mpg.

> My neighbor does about 130 miles a day. 90-something Honda Accord,
> purchased new, 350k+ miles, no major repairs.
>
> Don't forget comfort. I think you're right that a highway commute reduces
> the difference between big and small. It also reduces what I consider the
> handling factor, where I prefer a smaller car on winding roads.

Comfort will vary from person to person. I like a "tight" vehicle, others
prefer cushy.

Old June 1st 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >,
> SoCalMike > wrote:
>
>> the xB is nice, but seems to be the hot ride for
>> the trendy kids.

> And grandmothers.
>
> Don't be suckered in by the marketing. Look at the people actually
> driving it.

heh. i steered my mom toward an xA in '03. shes over 60. loves the car,
though. shes never owned a car with power windows and locks. come to
think of it, neither have i.

their marketing *is* pretty slick, but theyre just a plain good value.
solid, reliable drivetrain, no timing belt, VVT-i, good mileage, and the
underhood packaging is a work of art.

honda came late to the party with the jazz, and itll still do well, im
sure. but its too close in price to a regular civic, IMO. especially
optioned out halfway decent.
Old June 1st 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> I am seriously thinking the next time will be a high mile Lexus...

ive got a co-worker that paid $9000 a few years ago for a 1991 LS400.
had 200k miles on it. he put another 100k on it with no major repairs to
speak of.

it IS starting to look its age, though. the burgundy leather is really
worn, the paints starting to chalk in places, and the steering wheel is
worn through to the core.
Old June 1st 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
> In my life, I have only bought one new car, a 1961 VW beetle. Never
> again did I get into the payment trap...

i hear that. this time around, ill be able to write a check for the
whole amount.