another grease question: bolt threads

Old November 21st 04, 05:28 PM
Abeness

Grumpy au Contraire wrote:
> If you lubricate bolts, torque specs will change to a lower setting.

That does seem to be the consensus of this discussion.
Old November 21st 04, 05:28 PM
Abeness

Old November 22nd 04, 03:25 AM
Net-Doctor

I can supply you with some:

1.2 Kgf-m +/- 0.2
1.4 Kgf-m +/- 0.2
1.75 Kgf-m +/- 0.25
2.0 Kgf-m +/- 0.2
2.2 Kgf-m +/- 0.2
2.7 Kgf-m +/- 0.3
3.1 Kgf-m +/- 0.4
5.0 Kgf-m +/- 0.5
5.5 Kgf-m +/- 0.5
6.5 Kgf-m +/- 0.5
10.25 Kgf-m +/- 0.25 Steel

Note that these are transmission specs, probably taken from HES (Honda
Engineering Standards). All are for Honda (unspecified grade) steel bolts
into aluminum threads except where otherwise noted. These may or may not
apply to other applications for Honda and are meant to serve as guidelines
only. Unfortunately, I can't convert these to SAE specs, or into N-m.
Also, my $0.02 worth regarding torque of lubricated bolts.....
Oil or grease on your bolt will play havoc with accuracy of final torque. It
affects stretch as well. Many times have I seen steel bolts break off in
aluminum threads because our bolts had oil on them. How much is too much; I
couldn't say.
Doc

"Abeness" > wrote in message
> Caroline wrote:
> > The distinction I was attempting to draw is that this problem
> > of overtorquing spark plugs arguably is related to the fact that the

spark
> > plug threads are brand new, never been used.

> And because they have been precoated, acc. to the GM quote, presumably
> with a lubricant since the quote goes on to refer to the antiseize
> compound as "added insurance". I don't know that other types of new
> bolts are precoated. But I really know very little about bolts and
> threads...
>
> > Here (to be a total ass), but I flubbed this one.

> Mistakes happen, few admit them. No "total asshood" witnessed here. I
> should've specified "bolt torque expert". ;-))
>
> > to a site where someone had a lab that could measure bolt tension (not

for

Old November 22nd 04, 03:25 AM
Net-Doctor

Old November 22nd 04, 03:35 AM
Net-Doctor

Having said all of that, what is the concensus on tightening lugnuts with
alloy rims? How many times have you had lugnuts loosen after having been
remove to service a tire? It's a common problem with Honda alloys. Even to
the point where service shops include a disclaimer in their invoices to
inform you that lugnuts on alloy rims are known to loosen up after 25 miles
or so of driving, even after having been properly torqued, and recommend
that you check them periodically. My experience tells me to lean on that
wrench; damn the rotors!
Doc

> > > I suspect dealer and independent shop technicians do the same. Torque
> > > wrenches are rarely broken out. Yet cars get repaired, and only once
> > > in a while does one here of a bolt not properly tightened.

> > That's because they tighten until it "feels right". It's learned by
> > experience.

> I believe this "experience" of which you speak has no relation to actually
> testing the feel of, say, 26 ft-lbs. of torque. Instead, it's "Feels

tight.
> Must be right." I have a vague recollection of a study that showed what
> numerical torque people hoped to achieve and what they actually achieved
> were widely different.
>
> One data point: The many anecdotes about lug nuts not torqued to spec, but
> to what the operator felt was right, and the warped rotor etc. outcomes of
> this.
>
> Sorry, but I had a chance to watch a gaggle of shadetree mechanics
> (self-decribed "experts") over the course of several weeks not long ago,
> and watching them wrap their ego around their wrong-headedness was
> fascinating.
>
> (For the record, I don't find a shadetree mechanic approach here at the
> group, for the most part. And yup, I still find the typical, say five

years
> of experience, shadetree mechanic smarter than an MD. Which is a comment

on

Old November 22nd 04, 03:35 AM
Net-Doctor

Old November 24th 04, 06:12 PM