Raising speed limits for revenue?!

Old July 13th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Default Raising speed limits for revenue?!

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...7/11SPEED.html

If it asks you to register, just go to bugmenot's website to get a
user/pass combo (unless you really want to give personal information out
just to read an article).

Old July 13th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Arif Khokar wrote:
> http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...7/11SPEED.html

> > The contract says that if the speed limit is 80 mph, the upfront
> > payment would be $92 million. At 85 mph, the payment would be $125
> > million.
> >
> > Or the state could choose, rather than taking more upfront, to
> > collect higher percentages of the toll revenue. The higher speed
> > limits would have to be imposed within the road's first six months
> > of operation for the state to get the extra money. The road is
> > expected to open by 2012.

There are some really funky things going on in texas with the roads and
the NAFTA highway and the like. Most of it smells bad.

My guess on this provision is that the state knows that higher speed
limits would bring higher traffic volumes and greater throughput. Thusly
they want a bigger cut.

Question is, are there timed distance speeding tickets between tolls?

IL speed limits and signs Timothy J. Lee Driving 3 June 8th 06 02:20 AM
Kaine Approves 70 MPH for I-85 Scott O. Kuznicki Driving 38 April 13th 06 04:52 AM
Wrong Way MFFY! Dave Driving 28 December 23rd 05 02:35 AM
IN senate backs bill to raise speed limit to 70 mph 223rem Driving 56 February 22nd 05 04:21 PM
Revenue enhancing speed limits. Bill the second Driving 1 February 1st 05 10:52 PM