Relocate distributor condenser

Old July 12th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
luftgekuhlten

Default Relocate distributor condenser

Although I like the timing curve on the new SVDA -- which I recently
installed -- this distributor has been eating the condensers on a too
frequent basis. Possibly because the SVDA appears to be using the
condenser as a heat sink. (BTW: Possible engine over-heating issues
were previously addressed).

As a test I thought I would relocate the condenser away from the usual
location on the side of the distributor. Any reason I cannot solder
~6" (15cm) of wire and move it? Does the condenser require grounding?

Thanks.

Old July 12th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

luftgekuhlten wrote:

> Although I like the timing curve on the new SVDA -- which I recently
> installed -- this distributor has been eating the condensers on a too
> frequent basis. Possibly because the SVDA appears to be using the
> condenser as a heat sink. (BTW: Possible engine over-heating issues
> were previously addressed).
>
> As a test I thought I would relocate the condenser away from the usual
> location on the side of the distributor. Any reason I cannot solder
> ~6" (15cm) of wire and move it? Does the condenser require grounding?
>
> Thanks.

Perfectly acceptable. You could make the connection
right on the Coil (-) terminal.

Yes, it needs to be grounded. The mounting screw for
the condensor bracket will take care of that.
Maybe screw it to the fan housing?
For an extra measure, run a Ground wire from the
mounting screw to the engine case...

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old July 12th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Postman's Holiday

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Perfectly acceptable. You could make the connection
> right on the Coil (-) terminal.

> Yes, it needs to be grounded. The mounting screw for
> the condensor bracket will take care of that.
> Maybe screw it to the fan housing?
> For an extra measure, run a Ground wire from the
> mounting screw to the engine case...

> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Thanks for answering that. As I have had the same problem. The SVDA
on my stock 1600 engine seems to be going through condensers at an
unusually fast pace. I popped open the deck lid to check the heat from
the distributor after a run home for lunch. Maybe it is a difference
in distributor casting, but the SVDA seems to be much hotter than I
recall with either the stock distributor or even with the 009.

This evening I am relocating that condenser.

Old July 13th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Crusader george

In article . com>,
"Postman's Holiday" > wrote:

> Speedy Jim wrote:
> > Perfectly acceptable. You could make the connection
> > right on the Coil (-) terminal.

> > Yes, it needs to be grounded. The mounting screw for
> > the condensor bracket will take care of that.
> > Maybe screw it to the fan housing?
> > For an extra measure, run a Ground wire from the
> > mounting screw to the engine case...

> > Speedy Jim
> > http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

> Thanks for answering that. As I have had the same problem. The SVDA
> on my stock 1600 engine seems to be going through condensers at an
> unusually fast pace. I popped open the deck lid to check the heat from
> the distributor after a run home for lunch. Maybe it is a difference
> in distributor casting, but the SVDA seems to be much hotter than I
> recall with either the stock distributor or even with the 009.
>
> This evening I am relocating that condenser.

yes, heat is the enemy of condensers. I always lost them in the summer.
Moved mine to the manifold.

--
"In the future you may be here, but will your dreams?"
Old July 13th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
luftgekuhlten

Speedy Jim wrote:

> Perfectly acceptable. You could make the connection
> right on the Coil (-) terminal.
>
> Yes, it needs to be grounded. The mounting screw for
> the condensor bracket will take care of that.
> Maybe screw it to the fan housing?
> For an extra measure, run a Ground wire from the
> mounting screw to the engine case...

Terrific. Thanks much for providing me with the answer. Although I
believe I may need to follow-up on the suggestion of Mr. Hoover and
investigate the distributor drive-pinion.

Speedy Jim, again my thanks.

-LK

Old July 14th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

luftgekuhlten wrote:
> Although I like the timing curve on the new SVDA -- which I recently
> installed -- this distributor has been eating the condensers on a too
> frequent basis. Possibly because the SVDA appears to be using the
> condenser as a heat sink. (BTW: Possible engine over-heating issues
> were previously addressed).
>
> As a test I thought I would relocate the condenser away from the usual
> location on the side of the distributor. Any reason I cannot solder
> ~6" (15cm) of wire and move it? Does the condenser require grounding?
>
> Thanks.

Why not get a Pertronix drop in ignition and do away with the condensor?

Old July 14th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Ben Boyle[_1_]

What about a Compufire or Pertronix and get rid of a condensor all together?
oups.com...

Old July 14th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
luftgekuhlten

> What about a Compufire or Pertronix and get rid of a condensor all together?

I went back to points / condenser in order for the CDI system to work
properly.

Old July 14th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Ben Boyle[_1_]

Which CDI system?

I know that many will work Pertronix/Compufire

Old July 15th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg[_1_]

luftgekuhlten wrote:
>> What about a Compufire or Pertronix and get rid of a condensor all together?

> I went back to points / condenser in order for the CDI system to work
> properly.

I run a Pertronix with my Tiger CDI, works fine..

J.