Changing transmission lube

Old April 22nd 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Changing transmission lube

I've got a Rubicon with an NV1500 5 sp transmission. I need to change the
lube. Pennzoil has some "Synchromesh Fluid" it states it's for Chrysler
products. Part number 12345577. The question is, is this stuff any better
than the dealer's stuff? Or, is there anything better than the Pennzoil? Any
recommendations for the front and rear axles? These are limited slip
differentials. Also, the service manual says to add 4 oz. of Limited Slip
additive. Again, anybody have any recommendations aside from Chrysler?
The service manual just doesn't have that much information.

Thanks

Lloyd Hanning

Old April 22nd 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I believe that synthetic fluids are worth the extra expense.

If you perform all the suggested maintenance exactly on schedule the extra
protective properties are probably not needed.

But that is just my opinion.

om...

Old April 24th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Lloyd, if you have a 5-speed in your Rubicon you have the NV3550. The
Pennzoil is the same stuff you get at the dealer but in a different bottle;
the dealer will charge you through the nose for it.

Old April 26th 06, 11:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Do Rubicons have limited slip?? I thought they just had air actuated
lockers??

Jeff

Old April 26th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Yes and no. They are not clutch activated ltd slips, but are not true
lockers either.

tw
2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton
capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.

Old April 26th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Not true lockers in what way?

. net...

Old April 26th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I misread his question. I was refering to the ltd. slip. They are a gear
ltd. slip, not a clutch activated version. I re-read Jeff's question and
to answer correctly, they have both, ltd. slip and the switchable lockers.

Old April 27th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Both: http://www.billhughes.com/temp/Tru-Lok.jpg Gear type limited
slip.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old April 27th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Kool info guys...I had just figured they were open till you switch them
on...I'm learning more everyday =)
Damn I wish I knew more when I bought my TJ...those new Rubi's look pretty
good but my heep may be too beat to sell =( lol...

Jeff - '03 TJ