93 Grand Cherokee Tranny Question

Old July 8th 05, 12:54 PM

Default 93 Grand Cherokee Tranny Question

Hi Guys,
You all have been so much help.
My 93 Grand Cherokee is starting to miss/shift a bit. After 255K miles, I
guess it's allowed.
I heard somewhere that if you change the filter and fluid in a high mileage
tranny, you can stir up some gunk and cause more problems than you had. Is
this true?
Would changing the fluid and filter help with the problem?
I have no slippage, it just seems to want to shift down at different times
than it used to. It sits behind the good old 4 liter 6 by the way.
Thanks a lot guys.
Denny.

Old July 8th 05, 02:23 PM
DougW

D did pass the time by typing:
> Hi Guys,
> You all have been so much help.
> My 93 Grand Cherokee is starting to miss/shift a bit. After 255K miles, I
> guess it's allowed.
> I heard somewhere that if you change the filter and fluid in a high mileage
> tranny, you can stir up some gunk and cause more problems than you had. Is
> this true?

No.

> Would changing the fluid and filter help with the problem?

Yes.

> I have no slippage, it just seems to want to shift down at different times
> than it used to. It sits behind the good old 4 liter 6 by the way.

Going by the book, transmission fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles.
I believe 50-60K is more reasonable. At any rate unless your changing the
filter all it takes is a suction gun down the filler tube to get most of it.
Even dumping the pan doesn't get all the fluid, quit a bit is trapped in
the torque converter.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old July 8th 05, 07:47 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Doug,
Next time you're thirty, smell the oil, it will smell burnt, put it
between your fingers you will be able to feel the grit like fiction.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 9th 05, 12:58 PM

Thanks Doug. You've never steered me wrong.
Yep, I'm doing the filter too.
Have a great one, and belated Happy Independence Day.
Denny

Good to hear from you too Bill.

"DougW" > wrote in message
> D did pass the time by typing:
> > Hi Guys,
> > You all have been so much help.
> > My 93 Grand Cherokee is starting to miss/shift a bit. After 255K miles,

> > guess it's allowed.
> > I heard somewhere that if you change the filter and fluid in a high

mileage
> > tranny, you can stir up some gunk and cause more problems than you had.

Is
> > this true?

> No.
>
> > Would changing the fluid and filter help with the problem?

> Yes.
>
> > I have no slippage, it just seems to want to shift down at different

times
> > than it used to. It sits behind the good old 4 liter 6 by the way.

> Going by the book, transmission fluid should be changed every 30,000

miles.
> I believe 50-60K is more reasonable. At any rate unless your changing the
> filter all it takes is a suction gun down the filler tube to get most of

it.
> Even dumping the pan doesn't get all the fluid, quit a bit is trapped in
> the torque converter.
>

> --
> -- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
> HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks
> Gibson Exhaust - rear DCpower - custom gauge install - Stillen Rotors
> Banks Header - and BEER, in the fridge!

Tranny issues with vans question snow Dodge 2 March 28th 05 11:45 AM
Tranny Mounts Anyone? TerryB VW air cooled 0 March 14th 05 02:59 AM
Tranny question HomeBrewer Jeep 3 December 31st 04 03:11 AM
Off topic CVT tranny question for Jim Warman or others... CRAngelo Ford Explorer 6 November 19th 04 02:49 PM