Brake fluid flush question

Old April 22nd 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Brake fluid flush question

Norm De Plume > wrote in article
.com>...

> wrote:
>
> > why not try using an ez-out tool?

> I'm not saying that something went wrong when I used an ez-out, but is
> there such a thing as an ez-out ez-out?

So-called "E-Z Outs" should be banned by the American Society for the
Protection of Imbeciles - especially from the hands of amateurs.

Where does it make logical sense that, if I break a 3/8" diameter bolt
trying to remove it, that a hardened, easy-to-snap, "E-Z Out" of lesser
diameter will, somehow, NOT break and remove the broken bolt?

If the bolt was rusted/corroded/etc. bad enough to break its full diameter,
a lesser diameter "E-Z Out" is, certainly, NOT the answer.

Most "E-Z- Outs" are tapered to aid in "biting" the fastener - which forces
the bolt threads even harder against the hole's inside diameter - much like
those "universal box wrenches" that squeeze a nut tighter on a bolt,
galling the threads IF they actually remove the nut!

I'm guessing that people who recommend - and attempt to use "E-Z- Outs"
also own a set of these "Universal Box Wrenches".

Anybody suggesting the use of an "E-Z Out" is, in my opinion, exhibiting
their total lack of practical experience, and should not be trusted for any
advice - especially on fasteners.

Now, as far as removing a broken "E-Z- Out" goes, your probably looking at
a trip to a machine shop where a spade drill set up in a milling machine
will accurately cut the hardened "E-Z- Out" out easily.

I believe you are beyond hand-held drills at this point - unless, of
course, an oversized hole tapped to a different thread - or a helicoil -
will work for you.

Old April 30th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.bmw

Nate Nagel wrote:
> wrote:
> > Today I was doing my every-2-year brake fluid flush on my BMW.
> > I had finished with the two back wheels, and was starting on
> > the front passenger side wheel, when I sheared off the bleed
> > screw on the caliper DAMMIT! So, now, there's no part of
> > it above the caliper housing as it sheared evenly at about the
> > housing level. What really annoys is that I was leaving for
> > Florida in the morning in the car, but I wanted to finish the
> > flush first. I'm gonna try to find a shop that'll get the thing
> > out and put a new one in in the morning but may be unalbe
> > to on such short notice. (I tried for a while doing this myself,
> > but have finished with that attempt.)
> >
> > This may seem like a stupid question, but it's not something
> > I've thought much about: If I use the car for a couple of weeks
> > with the front lines un-flushed, would the fluid in those lines
> > affect the nice clean fluid in the lines to the back wheels?
> > IOW, if I flush the front lines in a couple of weeks, will it
> > be as good as if I'd been able to do them all today? Thanks.
> >
> > --F
> >

> I'd just drive the car and not worry about it,

Yep Nate, that's exactly what I did. I'm back now after
10 days of no Web access and no phones...bliss.

I couldn't find a shop that could fix the thing on short notice,
but now that I'm back, I'm thinking of trying to get it
out myself. I've got a drill, but I need a little bit that will bite
into the metal, just enough to perhaps makes a couple of little
notches so I could try and use a little screw driver to back the
bleeder out. It's hard to believe I put it in so tight 16 months
ago when I replaced pads and rotors on that car. The bits I
have supposedly can be used with metal, but I can't get
it to bite at all. Are there any special bits I could get that
would bite?

Another thing, this bleeder is officially called a "ventilation
valve" and is VERY hard to find. Dealerships don't carry them
and I haven't found any on line after briefly searching. I'm surprised
that they're not needed enough for them to be in stock.

> just curious, does your BMW have those little rubber caps on the
> bleeders? I've found those to be quite useful; at least I've never
> owned a car that still had them that I had any problems bleeding.

Yes, they do have those little rubber caps. I guess they are to
provide redundancy in case a bleeder somehow got loose,
causing no brakes without one. I think that's the cause of my
problem. Even though I thought I was being careful not to
overtighten those little things, I did. I always have this nightmare
thought of one coming loose while driving.