99 323is hitches when accelerating

Old April 24th 06, 01:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 99 323is hitches when accelerating

I have a '99 323is that hitches or sputters when I am accelerating at
RPMs less than 2000. If I give it a little gas, it is less likely to do
it than if I give it a lot (but what fun is that?) I have put in two
containers of Chevron Techron injection cleaner, but that hasn't seemed
to help. The car has been doing this for several weeks. At one point -
and this has only happened once - the check engine light came on and
the car ran very rough. Normally, the car only sputters when I am in
those low RPMs. It idles fine. This started about three weeks or a
month after I had an inspection 1 in February - that may be unrelated.
Any ideas?

Thank you,
Scott

Old April 24th 06, 09:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a '99 323is that hitches or sputters when I am accelerating at
> RPMs less than 2000. If I give it a little gas, it is less likely to do
> it than if I give it a lot (but what fun is that?) I have put in two
> containers of Chevron Techron injection cleaner, but that hasn't seemed
> to help. The car has been doing this for several weeks. At one point -
> and this has only happened once - the check engine light came on and
> the car ran very rough. Normally, the car only sputters when I am in
> those low RPMs. It idles fine. This started about three weeks or a
> month after I had an inspection 1 in February - that may be unrelated.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thank you,
> Scott

I had a similar problem with my '99 323 and the problem was traced to a
split rubber pipe. Can't remember exactly where the dealer said it was, but
I think at the bottom front of the engine.

Mick.

Old April 25th 06, 01:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thank you, Mick. I was going to have it checked out fairly soon. Do you
remember what the cost of that was, and if it was a quick fix? Sounds
simple and pretty cheap, I just don't want to be in for any surprises.

Old April 25th 06, 10:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thank you, Mick. I was going to have it checked out fairly soon. Do you
> remember what the cost of that was, and if it was a quick fix? Sounds
> simple and pretty cheap, I just don't want to be in for any surprises.

Hi Scott I was not charged as the car was under warranty at the time,
although I doubt whether it would have been that expensive, but who knows
with BMW rates ;-)