OT SUV's

Old January 12th 05, 03:21 AM
Max Welton

SUV == Sport Utility Volkswagon

http://66.225.214.60/baja/MVC-115F.JPG

Max

Old January 13th 05, 01:03 AM
Charles Fregeau

"Bill Berckman" > wrote in message
> You either like them or you don't. If you don't click on the link.
> http://www.infoshop.org/inews/articl...50110075012686
> Bill Berckman
> 67 Beetle

I often said in order to get a license to drive an Stupid Useless Vehicle,
one had to fail one's IQ test. <g>

Charles of Kankakee

Old January 13th 05, 01:38 AM
Shag

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:03:30 -0600, "Charles Fregeau"
> wrote:

>"Bill Berckman" > wrote in message
>> You either like them or you don't. If you don't click on the link.
>> http://www.infoshop.org/inews/articl...50110075012686
>> Bill Berckman
>> 67 Beetle
>>

>I often said in order to get a license to drive an Stupid Useless Vehicle,
>one had to fail one's IQ test. <g>
>
>Charles of Kankakee

Just to stir the pot (imagine that) I think that article is unfair.
Not all SUVs pollute the hell out of the planet. There are several
"sports cars" that do a better job of that. I'm SURE that *some* (not
all) SUVs sold today pollute less than typical passenger cars of the
not-so-distant past. Even less than our beloved air-cooled VW. I
have a "ULEV" sticker on my car so I'm more innocent (in the
pollution-contributing regard) than most. *batting eyelashes* That's
my story and I'm stickin' to it.

---

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum."
-"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live!
Old January 13th 05, 01:49 AM
Neil

The dateline on the story explains it all: San Francisco, CA

Neil

Old January 13th 05, 02:48 AM
jjs

You guys win. I'm taking bug and trasport tow bars out of the SUV. No more
free tows.

Old January 13th 05, 04:30 AM
Charles Fregeau

"Shag" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:03:30 -0600, "Charles Fregeau"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bill Berckman" > wrote in message
>>> You either like them or you don't. If you don't click on the link.
>>> http://www.infoshop.org/inews/articl...50110075012686
>>> Bill Berckman
>>> 67 Beetle
>>>

>>I often said in order to get a license to drive an Stupid Useless Vehicle,
>>one had to fail one's IQ test. <g>
>>
>>Charles of Kankakee
>>

> Just to stir the pot (imagine that) I think that article is unfair.
> Not all SUVs pollute the hell out of the planet. There are several
> "sports cars" that do a better job of that. I'm SURE that *some* (not
> all) SUVs sold today pollute less than typical passenger cars of the
> not-so-distant past. Even less than our beloved air-cooled VW. I
> have a "ULEV" sticker on my car so I'm more innocent (in the
> pollution-contributing regard) than most. *batting eyelashes* That's
> my story and I'm stickin' to it.
>
> ---
>
> "I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of
> bubblegum."
> -"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live!

But as a genre, the SUV drivers up here have attitude. They can't even see
my Corolla. One of them backed up into my brother's Miata in a parking lot,
with the attendant yelling all the while to STOP! She didn't even stop when
she heard the crunch. Thank God, he was moving in reverse a little, she
only crunched his front plate.

I'm afraid what they would do around our favorite Type 1's, 3's and 4's.

Charles of Kankakee

Old January 13th 05, 06:55 AM
Hairy

"Charles Fregeau" > wrote in message

> "Bill Berckman" > wrote in message
> > You either like them or you don't. If you don't click on the link.
> > http://www.infoshop.org/inews/articl...50110075012686
> > Bill Berckman
> > 67 Beetle
> >

> I often said in order to get a license to drive an Stupid Useless Vehicle,
> one had to fail one's IQ test. <g>
>
> Charles of Kankakee

Yep, I guess that Corolla qualifies. You too...

Old January 13th 05, 03:24 PM

I don't think the aircooled VW pollutes as much as they say it does
because all the data I've seen is relative to the volume of emissions
but I've never seen what the actual volumes are per car. Logically it
would be proportional to mpg. So a properly tuned ACVW probably
pollutes more than any newer car with the *same* gas mileage, but it
may be better than most newer vehicles with *worse* gas mileage, like
pickups, SUVs, large Mercedes, high performance cars, etc.

Besides, since the longevity of ACVWs is so high, if more people drove
more cars with equal longevity, less cars would have to be
manufactured, which means less resources would be consumed to make
them. I wonder how much oil goes into manfacturing a new car? Not only
does it take energy to run the assembly line, but it takes oil to
produce the additional plastic, fluids, chemicals, paints, etc. used in
newer cars. Consider even seat cushions. VW made them out of horsehair,
which I assume literally was *horsehair*. Modern cars use foam rubber,
which must be derived from petroleum.
I think ACWS are "greener" than we think.

Ted Bogart

Old January 14th 05, 01:27 AM
Charles Fregeau

"Hairy" > wrote in message

> "Charles Fregeau" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill Berckman" > wrote in message
>> > You either like them or you don't. If you don't click on the link.
>> > http://www.infoshop.org/inews/articl...50110075012686
>> > Bill Berckman
>> > 67 Beetle
>> >

>> I often said in order to get a license to drive an Stupid Useless
>> Vehicle,
>> one had to fail one's IQ test. <g>
>>
>> Charles of Kankakee
>>

> Yep, I guess that Corolla qualifies. You too...

How does a Corolla qualify? It's a subcompact. I don't get blown around so
badly in the wind, and I can see smaller cars and don't pretend they're not
there! Plus I get 30 mpg (US) with the driving I do in winter.

Charles of Kankakee.