Stability control: What do you think?

Old November 8th 04, 11:58 PM

Default Stability control: What do you think?

OK, folks: Threat, or menace?

Automotive News reports that suppliers of stability control systems got a
boost from an insurance industry study that concludes that the technology
could save 7,000 lives a year.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety compared fatality rates of
similar vehicles with and without the technology. It said the technology
cuts one-vehicle fatal crashes by 56 percent and all one-vehicle crashes by
41 percent.

Suppliers hope the data will encourage consumers to buy vehicles equipped
with stability control, which typically costs $500 or more.

More details at
http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2004/pr102804.htm

Old November 9th 04, 12:34 AM
James C. Reeves

Sounds like the same thing they once said about ABS. Look what they're saying
now...

http://www.hwysafety.org/safety_fact...antilock.htm#5

....might explain one reason why ABS is becoming more of a option these days
when once they were standard equipment.

Old November 9th 04, 03:41 PM
Dave Gower

> wrote

> Automotive News reports that suppliers of stability control systems got a
> boost from an insurance industry study that concludes that the technology
> could save 7,000 lives a year.

Maybe these kind of things help when the car is new, but I worry about this
kind of sophisticated technology after a few years in the big bad world.

Old November 9th 04, 03:41 PM
Dave Gower

> wrote

> Automotive News reports that suppliers of stability control systems got a
> boost from an insurance industry study that concludes that the technology
> could save 7,000 lives a year.

Maybe these kind of things help when the car is new, but I worry about this
kind of sophisticated technology after a few years in the big bad world.

1971 Alfa Spider 1750 - Front upper control arm locating washers... SteveC Alfa Romeo 11 December 2nd 04 03:52 PM
BMW series 5 disables Dynamic Stability Control and ABS [email protected] BMW 6 December 1st 04 06:02 PM
traction control adder BMW 1 November 3rd 04 05:42 PM
2004 Durango Limited Automatic Temp Control (ATC) Sven Dodge 22 May 23rd 04 07:26 PM