BS or not BS?

Old June 17th 05, 04:56 AM
The Man Behind The Curtain (formerly The Lindbergh

Default BS or not BS?

My local oil changing shop is all in a dither. Why? Seems I'm overdue
for "Pure Power Plus," a treatment where they fill my gas tank with some
kind of Drano and clean the fuel injectors, blowing deposits, soot and
resident squatters out my tailpipe. My car is running fine. Should I
get this treatment or just ignores the pleas of the grease monkeys? I'm
skeptical but also want to keep my car running well.

Thanks,

John

Old June 17th 05, 05:17 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, The Man Behind The Curtain (formerly The Lindbergh Baby) wrote:

> My local oil changing shop is all in a dither. Why? Seems I'm overdue
> for "Pure Power Plus," a treatment where they fill my gas tank with some
> kind of Drano and clean the fuel injectors, blowing deposits, soot and
> resident squatters out my tailpipe.

No, it's a treatment where they fill your gas tank with a dollar's worth
of solvent and extract money from your wallet. You're not "overdue" for
their magic monkey ****, because you were never due for it.
Old June 17th 05, 05:29 AM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"The Man Behind The Curtain (formerly The Lindbergh Baby)"
> wrote in message
> My local oil changing shop is all in a dither. Why? Seems I'm overdue
> for "Pure Power Plus," a treatment where they fill my gas tank with some
> kind of Drano and clean the fuel injectors, blowing deposits, soot and
> resident squatters out my tailpipe. My car is running fine. Should I
> get this treatment or just ignores the pleas of the grease monkeys? I'm
> skeptical but also want to keep my car running well.

I wouldn't recommend it, especially not from a quick lube place.

Best case scenario, your (probably) already clean engine runs clean, but
that's still money wasted. Worst case scenario, fouled plugs, catalytic
converter failure, or other engine sensor or mechanical issues caused by the
cleaning.

This is the one treatment that, if actually needed, I would probably say to
go to the dealer to have done, even if it costs more. That way they at least
use the correct system cleaner and then there's also paperwork that the
dealership did the treatment should issues occur later on.

But if the car's running fine, then the treatment more than likely isn't
needed. Generally, I find that this fuel system cleaning treatment only
seems to be recommended for issues like excessive carbon build-up.

Old June 17th 05, 05:35 AM
Paul

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:56:30 GMT, The Man Behind The Curtain (formerly
The Lindbergh Baby) , said the following in rec.autos.driving...

> My local oil changing shop is all in a dither. Why? Seems I'm overdue
> for "Pure Power Plus," a treatment where they fill my gas tank with some
> kind of Drano and clean the fuel injectors, blowing deposits, soot and
> resident squatters out my tailpipe. My car is running fine. Should I
> get this treatment or just ignores the pleas of the grease monkeys? I'm
> skeptical but also want to keep my car running well.

IMO, its BS. They are just trying to sell you something.
Old June 17th 05, 06:01 AM
The Real Bev

"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." wrote:

> But if the car's running fine, then the treatment more than likely isn't
> needed. Generally, I find that this fuel system cleaning treatment only
> seems to be recommended for issues like excessive carbon build-up.

Old mechanics used to swear by pouring a little water into the carb while the
engine is running in order to blow out carbon deposits. Outmoded or frugal
secret in need of revival?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old June 17th 05, 06:02 AM
Ashton Crusher

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:56:30 GMT, "The Man Behind The Curtain
(formerly The Lindbergh Baby)" > wrote:

>My local oil changing shop is all in a dither. Why? Seems I'm overdue
>for "Pure Power Plus," a treatment where they fill my gas tank with some
>kind of Drano and clean the fuel injectors, blowing deposits, soot and
>resident squatters out my tailpipe. My car is running fine. Should I
>get this treatment or just ignores the pleas of the grease monkeys? I'm
>skeptical but also want to keep my car running well.
>
>Thanks,
>

>John

If your car is running well it's BS. If you are willing to spend $5
twice a year buy a pint of Chevron Techroline Fuel Injector Cleaner at
the auto parts store or KMart and put that in a couple weeks before an
oil change. Most name brand gas will be adequate but the Techroline
will make sure. I've seen it help many cars with slightly dirty
injectors run much smoother. Since your's is running OK it would just
be preventive maintenance so you never need the $100 "fuel system
cleaning" they are trying to sell you and that you don't currently
need.
Old June 17th 05, 07:01 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

The Real Bev wrote:
> "Daniel W. Rouse Jr." wrote:
>
> > But if the car's running fine, then the treatment more than likely isn't
> > needed. Generally, I find that this fuel system cleaning treatment only
> > seems to be recommended for issues like excessive carbon build-up.

> Old mechanics used to swear by pouring a little water into the carb while the
> engine is running in order to blow out carbon deposits. Outmoded or frugal
> secret in need of revival?

Water?? I never heard of that. Gumout down the carb throat with
engine running would clean out the cylinders - though it was hell on
exhaust systems. I've never done it to an FI car.

Old June 17th 05, 10:39 AM
Nate Nagel

The Man Behind The Curtain (formerly The Lindbergh Baby) wrote:
> My local oil changing shop is all in a dither. Why? Seems I'm overdue
> for "Pure Power Plus," a treatment where they fill my gas tank with some
> kind of Drano and clean the fuel injectors, blowing deposits, soot and
> resident squatters out my tailpipe. My car is running fine. Should I
> get this treatment or just ignores the pleas of the grease monkeys? I'm
> skeptical but also want to keep my car running well.
>
> Thanks,
>

> John

Unless you've got a lot of miles or your engine has a known problem with
either fuel injectors clogging or valves/chambers carboning up, I'd skip it.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 17th 05, 10:42 AM
Nate Nagel

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>>"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." wrote:
>>

>>>But if the car's running fine, then the treatment more than likely isn't
>>>needed. Generally, I find that this fuel system cleaning treatment only
>>>seems to be recommended for issues like excessive carbon build-up.

>>Old mechanics used to swear by pouring a little water into the carb while the
>>engine is running in order to blow out carbon deposits. Outmoded or frugal
>>secret in need of revival?

> Water?? I never heard of that. Gumout down the carb throat with
> engine running would clean out the cylinders - though it was hell on
> exhaust systems. I've never done it to an FI car.

No, Gumout just cleans the carb and intake tract; the water actually
breaks up carbon deposits inside the cylinders. It really works; an old
timer showed it to me on my dad's '73 Chevy pickup after years of
occasional mild use - in among the huge clouds of steam that came out
the tailpipe you wouldn't believe the (sometimes glowing) chunks of
black crap that came out.

nate

Old June 17th 05, 05:57 PM
C. E. White

wrote:

> My local oil changing shop is all in a dither. Why? Seems I'm overdue
> for "Pure Power Plus," a treatment where they fill my gas tank with some
> kind of Drano and clean the fuel injectors, blowing deposits, soot and
> resident squatters out my tailpipe. My car is running fine. Should I
> get this treatment or just ignores the pleas of the grease monkeys? I'm
> skeptical but also want to keep my car running well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Ignore them.

Ed