extra power cable through firewall

Old June 27th 04, 11:54 PM
Ralph Blach

Default extra power cable through firewall

How do I run an extra power cable through a 1996 dodge caravan's fire
wall? I really do not want to drill a hole through the file wall for
obvious reasons and
I want this to be a safe installation.

I want to run a high power ham radio and other equimement.

Thanks

Chip
Old June 28th 04, 10:39 PM
Wesley

I don't know for sure about the 96, but in my 92 as I recall there was a
rubber boot around a cable near the drivers side that I was able to cut a
slit and force it thru (it tightened back up around it pretty good after it
went thru). I've done the same basic thing on an Isuzu Trooper, so I'd bet
there's some place like that on your 96 that you can slide it thru.

Good luck!

Wesley

Old June 28th 04, 10:39 PM
Wesley

Old June 28th 04, 11:54 PM
Kamus of Kadizhar

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:39:30 -0400, Wesley wrote:

> I don't know for sure about the 96, but in my 92 as I recall there was a
> rubber boot around a cable near the drivers side that I was able to cut a
> slit and force it thru (it tightened back up around it pretty good after it
> went thru). I've done the same basic thing on an Isuzu Trooper, so I'd bet
> there's some place like that on your 96 that you can slide it thru.

Yup. With a bit of WD-40, you can usually stuff an extra wire through
where the main wiring harness goes.

--Kamus

--
o |
o__ >[] | A roadie who doesn't ride a mountain bike has no soul.

Old June 28th 04, 11:54 PM
Kamus of Kadizhar

Old July 2nd 04, 10:10 PM
Doug

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:54:13 -0400, Kamus of Kadizhar
> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:39:30 -0400, Wesley wrote:
>
>> I don't know for sure about the 96, but in my 92 as I recall there was a
>> rubber boot around a cable near the drivers side that I was able to cut a
>> slit and force it thru (it tightened back up around it pretty good after it
>> went thru). I've done the same basic thing on an Isuzu Trooper, so I'd bet
>> there's some place like that on your 96 that you can slide it thru.
>>

>Yup. With a bit of WD-40, you can usually stuff an extra wire through
>where the main wiring harness goes.
>
>--Kamus

It might be difficult for him.
To run a 100 watt ham radio transmitter he'll need 2 , 12-14 gauge
wires. In my experience, it's hard to stuff two of those through the
grommets/boots

He might be able to get by with sliding in only one 12 gauge wire,
connected to the positive battery terminal and then finding a local
ground point within the passenger compartment for the negative cable..

Doug

Old July 2nd 04, 10:10 PM
Doug

Old July 2nd 04, 10:51 PM
Wesley

Don't go thru the middle with the other wires, cut your own new hole...or is
that what you meant?

Wesley

Old July 2nd 04, 10:51 PM
Wesley

Old July 3rd 04, 02:13 AM
seabringlx2003

there is probably a conduwit threw the fenders

power steering fluid type? Gilbert M. Kowie BMW 6 December 28th 04 09:03 PM
BMW E34 520i Power 8unker BMW 1 November 28th 04 12:12 PM
lack of power with the old style 156 JTS Steve Drake Alfa Romeo 1 August 3rd 04 10:27 PM
Caravan power window not working BV Dodge 4 June 16th 04 09:39 PM
Loss of Power Whilst Towing Caravan Stuart Thomson Audi 6 June 1st 04 09:46 PM