4 Bolt Drums on early axles

Old June 26th 05, 11:35 PM
jtbartlett

Default 4 Bolt Drums on early axles

Has anyone here replaced their 5 lug drums in the rear with 4 lug drums
and hardware? I know the backing plates will bolt directly onto the
axle tubes with no problem. My concern is with the axle length. When
did VW (beetle) to a longer Axle? I currently have 65 axles and 1969+
rear drums which are wider. I am currently replacing the transmission
(new) and have used my original axles as donors. I do have a spare 67
axles as well. Can anyone help out with the 'what fits' question?
Thanks for your time.

Joel Bartlett

Old June 27th 05, 12:43 PM
Jan

jtbartlett wrote:
> Has anyone here replaced their 5 lug drums in the rear with 4 lug drums
> and hardware? I know the backing plates will bolt directly onto the
> axle tubes with no problem. My concern is with the axle length. When
> did VW (beetle) to a longer Axle? I currently have 65 axles and 1969+
> rear drums which are wider. I am currently replacing the transmission
> (new) and have used my original axles as donors. I do have a spare 67
> axles as well. Can anyone help out with the 'what fits' question?
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Joel Bartlett

I have done this multiple times. The drums are different too.
You have to have about 1.5 - 2" of the drum "snout" machined off to be
able to use them with the short axles. Then it's not a problem.
You can do vice-versa too, if the axle comes out too far from the drum,
you just use a tight fitting spacer. (have one made, it has to be real
thick material). I have done this too with success. Neither mods had
problem with stripping or anything, up to 100hp. Keep the axle nuts
TIGHT and axles greased where they go through the drum.

Jan
Old June 27th 05, 04:17 PM
bill may

in the usa you machine 5/8" to use 68 and newer 4 lug or typeIII rear
drums(5 lug) or the 4 lug type III hat.. to use on short spline 67 and
older.. 1 1/2 -2" is alot in my opinion.

Old June 27th 05, 04:58 PM
Jan Andersson

bill may wrote:

> in the usa you machine 5/8" to use 68 and newer 4 lug or typeIII rear
> drums(5 lug) or the 4 lug type III hat.. to use on short spline 67 and
> older.. 1 1/2 -2" is alot in my opinion.

My conversion may have been way off
Certainly closer to 1 inch.
Jan