grumpf! how to reach *that* engine bolt

Old April 24th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default grumpf! how to reach *that* engine bolt

Hi there

Little out of ideas trying to reach the upper left (driver's side)
engine-transaxle bolt.

Its that type without NUT (crankcase has a fixed round bolt). So its
meant to be reached from down under...but gosh...the bolt is so close
to the clutch lever...and there is the heat exchanger in
between...can't put any of my ratchets there...

you think that the heat exchanger can be removed? looks like dificult
to me...boh

somebody can enlighten me?

cheers

Old April 24th 06, 12:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Kuebel Guy wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Little out of ideas trying to reach the upper left (driver's side)
> engine-transaxle bolt.
>
> Its that type without NUT (crankcase has a fixed round bolt). So its
> meant to be reached from down under...but gosh...the bolt is so close
> to the clutch lever...and there is the heat exchanger in
> between...can't put any of my ratchets there...
>
> you think that the heat exchanger can be removed? looks like dificult
> to me...boh
>
> somebody can enlighten me?
>
> cheers

LONG extension, 17mm socket, and a ratchet will do the trick. Skinny
little arms would help Luckily I'm equipped with both
There is no need to remove the heat exchanger. You may want to yank the
plastic accordeon tube out to gain more room.

Jan

Old April 24th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

yum

you mean that looking from top side, the extension will not interfere
with anyting? yep, accordeon is out already

humm humm never thought about that one...

thanks Jan as usual!

Old April 24th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Kuebel Guy wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Little out of ideas trying to reach the upper left (driver's side)
> engine-transaxle bolt.
>
> Its that type without NUT (crankcase has a fixed round bolt). So its
> meant to be reached from down under...but gosh...the bolt is so close
> to the clutch lever...and there is the heat exchanger in
> between...can't put any of my ratchets there...
>
> you think that the heat exchanger can be removed? looks like dificult
> to me...boh
>
> somebody can enlighten me?
>
> cheers

It helps if you jack up that side and remove the rear wheel. Then you can loosen
the 17mm bolt while kneeling outside the fender. Otherwise you have to lie on
your back underneath the car and reach up.

Some sockets don't allow enough clearance between the bolt and the tranny
case. Every time I install a different tranny I grind off material on the case
where it surrounds the bolt.

Randall

Old April 25th 06, 09:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

extension worked smoothly owe you a beer Jan

Old April 25th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Kuebel Guy wrote:

> extension worked smoothly owe you a beer Jan

Make that a Cuba Libre

Jan

Old April 25th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I used a bunch of ratchet 3/8 extensions, universals etc..gotta get both
arms up and hads up near clutch lever..make sure engine is cool. Howie

Old April 26th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I was shown a little trick by an old VW mechanic in my home town to
reach that stubborn bolt on my '65 bug. He has a ratchet wrench
that is offset on both ends with a 17mm on one side. The offset
allows me to reach it and the ratchet end allows me to move it
about 10 degrees each pull without having to reseat the wrench
after each pull.

Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 beta 25
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet