Oil Pressure Fluctuation

Old June 17th 05, 08:21 AM
Neil Currey

Default Oil Pressure Fluctuation

I have a 1994 Cherokee 4.0 l which the dash oile pressure gauge seems to
fluctuate.
I have checked the oil and that is at the right level . I get the oil
changed every 10,000 k and there is still 2,000 to go till the next change
.. what do you guys think could be wrong ?.The oil pump need work ?.
Thanks in advance
Neil in NZ

Old June 17th 05, 09:06 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Fram: "Pay me now or pay them later." Well it's time to pay up.
http://www.billhughes.com/lubeschedule.pdf
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 17th 05, 01:05 PM
Neil Currey

I take it that it is time for an oil and filter change then Bill.

Old June 17th 05, 04:18 PM
Jerry Bransford

What do you mean it fluctuates? The oil pressure will go up and down in
step with the engine rpms which is normal. If that's not it, maybe you
just have a defective oil pressure sender which is mounted just above
the oil filter.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old June 17th 05, 06:42 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's like closing the barn door after the horse has be stolen.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 18th 05, 04:22 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

The oil pressure senders on the 4.0L's are notorious for failing. Hook up a
mechanical gauge to the oil sender port to check if you have adequate
pressure. Or just get a new sender (not the switch, that's for the
non-gauge idiot light version) and install it, see if it helps...they aren't
expensive.

How is it fluctuating? Does it jump down to 0 or up to Max? If it jumps up,
the sender is shorting to ground. I had a 93 XJ with this problem, replaced
the sender, no more jumpy gauge.

Old June 18th 05, 04:24 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

10000 k= about 6200 miles...yikes...

Old June 18th 05, 04:45 AM
Earle Horton

That's the recommended change interval, for most modern gasoline engine
vehicles, for "normal" operating conditions. "Three months or 3,000 miles,
whichever comes first" is not necessary unless you want to make oil
companies rich. Also, people in the rest of the world pay a bit more for
petroleum products than we do.

Now if you play in sand, like Bill does, or take frequent short trips in
cold weather or race then you would want to consider a shorter change
interval. And if you are considering going to 10,000 k, like the rest of
the world does, then use high quality oil and a decent filter. I like a
Mobil 1 filter, Valvoline 10W30 petroleum based oil, and oil changes once a
year whether needed or not. (I have four vehicles and rarely get 10,000 k
on any of them before an oil change.)

Earle

Old June 18th 05, 11:41 PM
Neil Currey

My gauge is doing just that . I will change it out when iI get the oil
changed tomorrow .
10,000 k oil change is the recommened period here , I have them done even if
I I haven't done that .

Neil in NZ