Gauges & Electric Windows on the Blink: Solution? -JGC-

Old July 15th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Default Gauges & Electric Windows on the Blink: Solution? -JGC-

Based on the manual, doesn't seem to be a directory for a specific fuse
accounting for this. Check all the fuses anyway, they all are fine.
Plus...when it first started happening, I would give the top of the
dash on the drivers side a good "smack" and presto, the might pop on.
Perhaps I would hit a pop hole and that would trigger them to
"activate" or "deactivate".

Loose wire, contact, short, etc.? Am I going to have to remove and
get behind the gauges, etc. to fix this? Any clues, tips or hints
appreciated. In my lay-man's mind I can only imagine there is a nexus
point wherein the gauges & windows electrical connections are sharing
the same contact point or something right under the dash above the
gauges?....

Thanks In Advance
Andrew

Old July 15th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

-one more thing. in the last 3 weeks 4-5 times the JGC would not start
due to poor cable connection on the battery. I removed the cables,
cleaned the terminals and reapplied the cables and the JGC started
immediately. Could a low cell or poor connection cause this problem?
I am going to replace the cables this weekend, been meaning to,
finally have time.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Old July 15th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Remember that cables have two ends when cleaning. If you get replacement
cables please remember that the factory cables were marginal and a lot of
the 'standard duty' stuff you find at Auto-Zone (etc) is smaller than that!

Pay attention to the cleanliness of your ground strap terminals (both ends)
and please note that they sometimes rot from the inside and will
disintegrate is you 'squeeze' them.

If you peep under the hood you will find a lot of grounds
Battery to body, battery to block, head to firewall, plus one for all the
electrical stuff found there.

The problem with the lights that get corrected with a slap to the dash is
also probably a poor ground.

It shouldn't be surprising that the vague and sometimes bizarre electrical
problem are most often due to poor grounds or corroded connectors that just
need to be cleaned and greased

I'd recommend that you coat the battery terminals and cable ends with a
light coating of dielectric grease.

If your battery is fully charged you can get a charging system and battery
load test for free at Auto Zone, Advance Auto, and most other auto-parts
stores.

Auto Zone (at least) will charge your battery if needed at no charge...

ups.com...

Old July 15th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

The only problem I've ever had with electric windows was probably about a
decade ago and turned out to be a bad $20 switch in my daughter's '88
Cougar.

Unfortunately Jeep door and window switches are a unit and are considerable
more expensive, front switches are $200+, rear switches are cheap.... $20+

ups.com...