shift knob?

Old July 27th 05, 08:22 AM
Ersin Deger

Default shift knob?

This is a question about a characteristic difference in --manual tranny--
shift knobs.

What makes the difference (in feeling) between a shift knob in a Civic
versus the one in an Accord? The (1998 LX) Accord shift knob does not
allow any vibrations (when you rest your hand on it) while you clearly get
the vibrations and the "buzz"es when you rest your hand on a (1994 EX) Civic
shift knob?

Is there any way to take care of the vibrations and make it feel smooth? A
friend just bought a used Protege and i noticed the same silly
uncomfortable vibrations on the shift knob in his when i test-drove it,
while i remember another Protege feeling perfectly smooth in that regard.

Any way to stop the vibrations and make the shift knob feel better? Thanks
a buch in advance,

--e.d.

Old July 27th 05, 01:42 PM
TeGGeR®

Ersin Deger > wrote in
:

> This is a question about a characteristic difference in --manual
> tranny-- shift knobs.
>
> What makes the difference (in feeling) between a shift knob in a Civic
> versus the one in an Accord? The (1998 LX) Accord shift knob does not
> allow any vibrations (when you rest your hand on it) while you clearly
> get the vibrations and the "buzz"es when you rest your hand on a (1994
> EX) Civic shift knob?

Shifter bushings are probably worn. Old engine mounts will transmit more
vibration as well.

Also, you're not supposed to rest your hand on the shift lever. This places
lots of extra stress on the shift forks inside the transmission.

Place your hand on the shift knob only to shift, then remove it until
needed again.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 28th 05, 12:33 AM
Ersin Deger

Hi again,

If you'd recommend me to replace the sihfter bushings, i can try. How do i
do it? sitting inside the car? or do i need to go under it? Meanwhile,
how much would it cost to have those done for a Civic?

Thank you,