Seeking A1 Rabbit speedometer tech

Old June 14th 05, 02:49 AM
Whole Lotta Tom

Default Seeking A1 Rabbit speedometer tech

I have a 1982 Caddy with a 1.6 diesel/5 speed. The odometer gear is
cracked. This weekend I pulled the instrument cluster from a Rabbit diesel.
Not sure if it was an 81 or 82. The cluster was almost the same as mine.
Both have the clock with the temp gauge and fuel gauge above and below it.

The junk yard cluster came from a 4 speed car, and the speedo reads fast,
like 10 mph.

What are the differences in Rabbit speedos? Is it related to what trans they
use? How can I make sure I get the right one from a JY? Can one that reads
fast be reset? Any info would be helpful.

I plan to fix the gear on my old one, just wanted something to use in the
meantime.

Thanks!

--

Tom

http://www.geocities.com/styleline58/

Visit the Cleveland Engine Forum
http://www.351cleveland.net

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment
insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of
that party again.... There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that
believes you can do these things. Among them are H.L. Hunt...a few other
Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from
other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."

--President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Old June 14th 05, 12:37 PM
Joseph Meehan

Whole Lotta Tom wrote:
>I have a 1982 Caddy with a 1.6 diesel/5 speed. The odometer gear is
> cracked. This weekend I pulled the instrument cluster from a Rabbit
> diesel. Not sure if it was an 81 or 82. The cluster was almost the
> same as mine. Both have the clock with the temp gauge and fuel gauge
> above and below it.
>
> The junk yard cluster came from a 4 speed car, and the speedo reads
> fast, like 10 mph.
>
> What are the differences in Rabbit speedos? Is it related to what
> trans they use? How can I make sure I get the right one from a JY?
> Can one that reads fast be reset? Any info would be helpful.
>
> I plan to fix the gear on my old one, just wanted something to use in
> the meantime.
>
> Thanks!

Generally a local speedometer shop can fix that up for you. I don't
believe it is cheap however.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old June 14th 05, 02:05 PM
N8N

Whole Lotta Tom wrote:
> I have a 1982 Caddy with a 1.6 diesel/5 speed. The odometer gear is
> cracked. This weekend I pulled the instrument cluster from a Rabbit diesel.
> Not sure if it was an 81 or 82. The cluster was almost the same as mine.
> Both have the clock with the temp gauge and fuel gauge above and below it.
>
> The junk yard cluster came from a 4 speed car, and the speedo reads fast,
> like 10 mph.
>
> What are the differences in Rabbit speedos? Is it related to what trans they
> use? How can I make sure I get the right one from a JY? Can one that reads
> fast be reset? Any info would be helpful.
>
> I plan to fix the gear on my old one, just wanted something to use in the
> meantime.
>
> Thanks!

Unlike most American cars where speedos were all calibrated the same,
VW seems to use one drive gear for the speedo cable and all the
calibration is done in the speedo head. What you need to do, if this
really bothers you, is go back to the boneyard and find a speedo that
has the same numbers printed on the face as the original one for your
car. That code relates to the revs/mile or revs/KM of the speedo
cable. (I think all American speedos are calibrated for 1000 revs/mile
or something like that IIRC)

nate

Old June 15th 05, 02:28 AM
Whole Lotta Tom

Joseph Meehan wrote:
> Whole Lotta Tom wrote:
>> I have a 1982 Caddy with a 1.6 diesel/5 speed. The odometer gear is
>> cracked. This weekend I pulled the instrument cluster from a Rabbit
>> diesel. Not sure if it was an 81 or 82. The cluster was almost the
>> same as mine. Both have the clock with the temp gauge and fuel gauge
>> above and below it.
>>
>> The junk yard cluster came from a 4 speed car, and the speedo reads
>> fast, like 10 mph.
>>
>> What are the differences in Rabbit speedos? Is it related to what
>> trans they use? How can I make sure I get the right one from a JY?
>> Can one that reads fast be reset? Any info would be helpful.
>>
>> I plan to fix the gear on my old one, just wanted something to use in
>> the meantime.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Generally a local speedometer shop can fix that up for you. I
> don't believe it is cheap however.

Thanks for the post, however I failed to inform you that I am a cheap
*******. ;-)

Old June 15th 05, 02:30 AM
Whole Lotta Tom

N8N wrote:
> Whole Lotta Tom wrote:
>> I have a 1982 Caddy with a 1.6 diesel/5 speed. The odometer gear is
>> cracked. This weekend I pulled the instrument cluster from a Rabbit
>> diesel. Not sure if it was an 81 or 82. The cluster was almost the
>> same as mine. Both have the clock with the temp gauge and fuel gauge
>> above and below it.
>>
>> The junk yard cluster came from a 4 speed car, and the speedo reads
>> fast, like 10 mph.
>>
>> What are the differences in Rabbit speedos? Is it related to what
>> trans they use? How can I make sure I get the right one from a JY?
>> Can one that reads fast be reset? Any info would be helpful.
>>
>> I plan to fix the gear on my old one, just wanted something to use
>> in the meantime.
>>
>> Thanks!

> Unlike most American cars where speedos were all calibrated the same,
> VW seems to use one drive gear for the speedo cable and all the
> calibration is done in the speedo head. What you need to do, if this
> really bothers you, is go back to the boneyard and find a speedo that
> has the same numbers printed on the face as the original one for your
> car. That code relates to the revs/mile or revs/KM of the speedo
> cable. (I think all American speedos are calibrated for 1000
> revs/mile
> or something like that IIRC)
>
> nate

Ahh. Excellent info, something I can take with me. Thanks! If I fix the
odometer gear on the original speedo, then life will be good. So far, I
have not found anyone who makes a replacement. I understand that they
frequently split. Thanks again.

Old June 15th 05, 02:31 AM
Nate Nagel

Whole Lotta Tom wrote:
> N8N wrote:
>
>>Whole Lotta Tom wrote:
>>
>>>I have a 1982 Caddy with a 1.6 diesel/5 speed. The odometer gear is
>>>cracked. This weekend I pulled the instrument cluster from a Rabbit
>>>diesel. Not sure if it was an 81 or 82. The cluster was almost the
>>>same as mine. Both have the clock with the temp gauge and fuel gauge
>>>above and below it.
>>>
>>>The junk yard cluster came from a 4 speed car, and the speedo reads
>>>fast, like 10 mph.
>>>
>>>What are the differences in Rabbit speedos? Is it related to what
>>>trans they use? How can I make sure I get the right one from a JY?
>>>Can one that reads fast be reset? Any info would be helpful.
>>>
>>>I plan to fix the gear on my old one, just wanted something to use
>>>in the meantime.
>>>
>>>Thanks!

>>Unlike most American cars where speedos were all calibrated the same,
>>VW seems to use one drive gear for the speedo cable and all the
>>calibration is done in the speedo head. What you need to do, if this
>>really bothers you, is go back to the boneyard and find a speedo that
>>has the same numbers printed on the face as the original one for your
>>car. That code relates to the revs/mile or revs/KM of the speedo
>>cable. (I think all American speedos are calibrated for 1000
>>revs/mile
>>or something like that IIRC)
>>
>>nate

> Ahh. Excellent info, something I can take with me. Thanks! If I fix the
> odometer gear on the original speedo, then life will be good. So far, I
> have not found anyone who makes a replacement. I understand that they
> frequently split. Thanks again.

why not use the odo gear from the boneyard speedo?

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 15th 05, 03:50 AM
Whole Lotta Tom

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Whole Lotta Tom wrote:
>> N8N wrote:

>>> Unlike most American cars where speedos were all calibrated the
>>> same,
>>> VW seems to use one drive gear for the speedo cable and all the
>>> calibration is done in the speedo head. What you need to do, if
>>> this really bothers you, is go back to the boneyard and find a
>>> speedo that
>>> has the same numbers printed on the face as the original one for
>>> your car. That code relates to the revs/mile or revs/KM of the
>>> speedo
>>> cable. (I think all American speedos are calibrated for 1000
>>> revs/mile
>>> or something like that IIRC)
>>>
>>> nate

>> Ahh. Excellent info, something I can take with me. Thanks! If I
>> fix the odometer gear on the original speedo, then life will be
>> good. So far, I have not found anyone who makes a replacement. I
>> understand that they frequently split. Thanks again.
>>

> why not use the odo gear from the boneyard speedo?
>
> nate

Alas, it's cracked. Still working, but it's not much better than the split
one. Since the problem seems to be shrinkage of the gear over time, I think
I will just remove some material from the inside of the gear until it will
fit on the shaft and secure the pieces with some JB Weld. Not a great
solution, but it should work.

Old June 15th 05, 04:21 AM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Whole Lotta Tom wrote:

>Joseph Meehan wrote:
>> Whole Lotta Tom wrote:
>>> I have a 1982 Caddy with a 1.6 diesel/5 speed. The odometer gear is
>>> cracked. This weekend I pulled the instrument cluster from a Rabbit
>>> diesel. Not sure if it was an 81 or 82. The cluster was almost the
>>> same as mine. Both have the clock with the temp gauge and fuel gauge
>>> above and below it.
>>>
>>> The junk yard cluster came from a 4 speed car, and the speedo reads
>>> fast, like 10 mph.
>>>
>>> What are the differences in Rabbit speedos? Is it related to what
>>> trans they use? How can I make sure I get the right one from a JY?
>>> Can one that reads fast be reset? Any info would be helpful.
>>>
>>> I plan to fix the gear on my old one, just wanted something to use in
>>> the meantime.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Generally a local speedometer shop can fix that up for you. I
>> don't believe it is cheap however.

>Thanks for the post, however I failed to inform you that I am a cheap
>*******. ;-)

Get a cheap GPS?

Old June 15th 05, 04:58 AM
Whole Lotta Tom

Tom's VR6 wrote:
> In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Whole Lotta Tom wrote:
>
>> Joseph Meehan wrote:

>>> Generally a local speedometer shop can fix that up for you. I
>>> don't believe it is cheap however.

>> Thanks for the post, however I failed to inform you that I am a cheap
>> *******. ;-)

> Get a cheap GPS?

I know where I am, at least most of the time. But I would like to get some
fairly accurate fuel mileage info before I run it on veg oil.

Old June 15th 05, 11:42 AM
Joseph Meehan

Whole Lotta Tom wrote:
> Tom's VR6 wrote:

>>> Thanks for the post, however I failed to inform you that I am a

>> Get a cheap GPS?

> I know where I am, at least most of the time. But I would like to
> get some fairly accurate fuel mileage info before I run it on veg oil.

GPS will also display total distance and trip mileages as well as MPH or
KPH if you like.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit