Rubber brake lines

Old May 30th 05, 09:27 AM
Kevin Holzer

Default Rubber brake lines

Okay, I've gotten new rubber lines all around and am trying to get the
old jobbies off, but I'm running into a bit of trouble. The Haynes
manual was kind of vague with regards to getting the lines out of the
tabs on the body. I see there is the tab which is welded to the car and
another sheet in there.

What I think is whats going on:

Tab2 >||
Mtl.Ln_____||_____ < Brake Line (rubber)
|| < Tab1
_____ |________ < Car

wheel hookup here suspension hookup over here
_________________

Am I supposed to pull out tab2 in order to get the rubber brake line
off? I've gotten the bolt disconnected, and stripped some of my
trailing arm's paint with the brake fluid that leaked out
This is on the female end of the rubber line nearest the rear wheel.
-Kevin
Old May 30th 05, 09:35 AM
Kevin Holzer

Kevin Holzer wrote:
> Okay, I've gotten new rubber lines all around and am trying to get the
> old jobbies off, but I'm running into a bit of trouble. The Haynes
> manual was kind of vague with regards to getting the lines out of the
> tabs on the body. I see there is the tab which is welded to the car and
> another sheet in there.
>
> What I think is whats going on:
>
> Tab2 >||
> Mtl.Ln_____||_____ < Brake Line (rubber)
> || < Tab1
> _____ |________ < Car
>
> wheel hookup here suspension hookup over here
> _________________
>
> Am I supposed to pull out tab2 in order to get the rubber brake line
> off? I've gotten the bolt disconnected, and stripped some of my
> trailing arm's paint with the brake fluid that leaked out
> This is on the female end of the rubber line nearest the rear wheel. Any
> advice would be greatly appreciated.
> -Kevin

When I said wheel hookup here, I meant in that direction. Not right
there. Sorry. Unclear? I can maybe upload a picture...
Old May 30th 05, 11:15 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Kevin Holzer" > wrote in message
> Okay, I've gotten new rubber lines all around and am trying to get the old
> jobbies off, but I'm running into a bit of trouble. The Haynes manual was
> kind of vague with regards to getting the lines out of the tabs on the
> body. I see there is the tab which is welded to the car and another sheet
> in there.
>
> What I think is whats going on:
>
> Tab2 >||
> Mtl.Ln_____||_____ < Brake Line (rubber)
> || < Tab1
> _____ |________ < Car
>
> wheel hookup here suspension hookup over here
> _________________
>
> Am I supposed to pull out tab2 in order to get the rubber brake line off?
> I've gotten the bolt disconnected, and stripped some of my trailing arm's
> paint with the brake fluid that leaked out
> This is on the female end of the rubber line nearest the rear wheel. Any
> advice would be greatly appreciated.
> -Kevin

if i follow you correctly you are refering to the junction of hardline to
soft hose? if so the hardline has a swivel end on it....11mm i think...could
be 13 but i think 11...you need to break that fitting loose while backing it
up on the rubberline side(larger fitting, maybe 15 mm again, can't remember
for sure)...after you get the fitting loose, pull the metal "clip" that
wedges between the bracket and the rubber hose fitting...this forked wedge
holds it to the bracket with spring pressure...once you have that junction
loose you can twist the rubber line off at the wheel end(no swivel here)...
can probably get you a pic if need....this is the rear? "irs" or swing
application?

Old May 30th 05, 07:20 PM
Kevin Holzer

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Kevin Holzer" > wrote in message
>
>>Okay, I've gotten new rubber lines all around and am trying to get the old
>>jobbies off, but I'm running into a bit of trouble. The Haynes manual was
>>kind of vague with regards to getting the lines out of the tabs on the
>>body. I see there is the tab which is welded to the car and another sheet
>>in there.
>>
>>What I think is whats going on:
>>
>> Tab2 >||
>>Mtl.Ln_____||_____ < Brake Line (rubber)
>> _____ |________ < Car
>>
>> wheel hookup here suspension hookup over here
>> _________________
>>
>>Am I supposed to pull out tab2 in order to get the rubber brake line off?
>>I've gotten the bolt disconnected, and stripped some of my trailing arm's
>>paint with the brake fluid that leaked out
>>This is on the female end of the rubber line nearest the rear wheel. Any
>>advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>-Kevin

> if i follow you correctly you are refering to the junction of hardline to
> soft hose? if so the hardline has a swivel end on it....11mm i think...could
> be 13 but i think 11...you need to break that fitting loose while backing it
> up on the rubberline side(larger fitting, maybe 15 mm again, can't remember
> for sure)...after you get the fitting loose, pull the metal "clip" that
> wedges between the bracket and the rubber hose fitting...this forked wedge
> holds it to the bracket with spring pressure...once you have that junction
> loose you can twist the rubber line off at the wheel end(no swivel here)...
> can probably get you a pic if need....this is the rear? "irs" or swing
> application?

IRS. I think all I need to do is get that clip off. It doesnt want to
go, so now the needle nosed pliers are going to have a word with it.
I'll come back if I have any troubles.
-Kevin
Old May 30th 05, 08:24 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Kevin Holzer" > wrote in message news:OfWdnX-I66LtxAbfRVn-

> IRS. I think all I need to do is get that clip off. It doesnt want to
> go, so now the needle nosed pliers are going to have a word with it.
> I'll come back if I have any troubles.
> -Kevin

i like to get just under the "lip" of the spring clip with a wide flat screw
driver, then twist the screw driver...will pull the clip outward enough to
get it with pliers....

Old May 31st 05, 04:11 AM
Jim Adney

On Mon, 30 May 2005 01:27:39 -0700 Kevin Holzer >
wrote:

>What I think is whats going on:
>
> Tab2 >||
>Mtl.Ln_____||_____ < Brake Line (rubber)
> || < Tab1
> _____ |________ < Car
>
> wheel hookup here suspension hookup over here
> _________________
>
>Am I supposed to pull out tab2

Yes, tab 2 is a U-shaped clip which holds everything in place. You can
pull it up with pliers or pry it up with a screwdriver. Make sure to
put it back when you're done.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old June 1st 05, 08:31 AM
Kevin Holzer

Jim Adney wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 01:27:39 -0700 Kevin Holzer >
> wrote:
>

>>What I think is whats going on:
>>
>> Tab2 >||
>>Mtl.Ln_____||_____ < Brake Line (rubber)
>> _____ |________ < Car
>>
>> wheel hookup here suspension hookup over here
>> _________________
>>
>>Am I supposed to pull out tab2

> Yes, tab 2 is a U-shaped clip which holds everything in place. You can
> pull it up with pliers or pry it up with a screwdriver. Make sure to
> put it back when you're done.
>
> -
> Jim Adney
> Madison, WI 53711 USA

Thanks! Got it done. Another question -- it ought not hurt to have no
(rather very limited) brake fluid in there for the moment...would it?
Am I risking rust or anything serious? The car is not going to be
driven. I'd prefer to rebuild the wheel cylinders and have the brakes
lathed (and new shoes in rear, pads in front--discs on my ghia) before I
put new fluid in. Since the rubber hasn't seen brake fluid yet, I
oughtta be alright for a week or two, yeah?
Thanks!
-Kevin
Old June 1st 05, 03:30 PM
Lynn Martin

Probably would be a good idea not to put fluid in just yet, unless the
entire system is closed to the atmosphere (No open lines, etc). Brake fluid
is very hygroscopic (water loving), so it absorbs the water that is in the
air. Not good, especially if it is humid.

Lynn
1974 Superbeetle

Old June 3rd 05, 08:50 AM
Kevin Holzer

Kay, thanks. Thats what I'm (not) doing (with regards to putting brake
fluid in). We just had it start to rain here in Southern California
(the DAY after I washed my GTI for christs sake...after a month and a
half of sunshine). I'm planning on taking off my calipers and cleaning
them up and painting them, putting in new o-rings...etc...same with my
drums, then putting in the new fluid bottle I just bought (old one was
cracked). I'll fill her up once the rest of my braking system is in
order...as the last step.
Thanks!
-Kevin

Lynn Martin wrote:
> Probably would be a good idea not to put fluid in just yet, unless the
> entire system is closed to the atmosphere (No open lines, etc). Brake fluid
> is very hygroscopic (water loving), so it absorbs the water that is in the
> air. Not good, especially if it is humid.
>
> Lynn
> 1974 Superbeetle
>

>>Thanks! Got it done. Another question -- it ought not hurt to have no
>>(rather very limited) brake fluid in there for the moment...would it? Am I
>>risking rust or anything serious? The car is not going to be driven. I'd
>>prefer to rebuild the wheel cylinders and have the brakes lathed (and new
>>shoes in rear, pads in front--discs on my ghia) before I put new fluid in.
>>Since the rubber hasn't seen brake fluid yet, I oughtta be alright for a
>>week or two, yeah?
>>Thanks!
>>-Kevin

REQ: Help and or advice brake lines - speficically front to rear line.... [email protected] Jeep 2 March 15th 05 02:19 PM
replacing brake lines Steve Chrysler 4 January 23rd 05 09:27 AM
How to replace brake lines on 1976 Rabbit? Joseph Meehan VW water cooled 10 January 2nd 05 03:21 AM
How to replace brake lines on 1976 Rabbit? HerHusband VW water cooled 0 January 1st 05 02:08 AM
Car Brake Pads Installed Incorrectly eddy eagle General 0 August 11th 04 12:27 PM