1989 Honda Accord

Old April 12th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default 1989 Honda Accord

Hi,

Over the past year I have had some ongoing trouble with my Honda. This
problem happens during driving, when the vehicle is off, even when the
keys aren't in the ignition and the lights are off. The problem is
that there is a buzzer, more of a high pitched alarm that sounds and
stays on. The problem comes on and off randomly, and there doesn't
seem to be any reason for it. Also, the chime, that is supposed to
ring when the lights are left on, sometimes rings once right before it
happens, and once after. For example... Ding, High pitched ring (stays
on for a random amount of time) ding, and then it's all off. Also with
the alarm, the seatbelt and brake light on the dash will come on and
stay on till the alarm goes off.

I found out that the alarm is coming from the integrated control unit,
but I still can't figure out why. Also, so far the only way I have
found to make it shut off is to unplug the wiring harness form the
back of the ICU and then plug it back in.

Any ideas?

Ben
Old April 12th 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

wrote in news:239ef034-cbc5-473c-9de5-e2747572b7d5
@k2g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

> Hi,
>
> Over the past year I have had some ongoing trouble with my Honda. This
> problem happens during driving, when the vehicle is off, even when the
> keys aren't in the ignition and the lights are off. The problem is
> that there is a buzzer, more of a high pitched alarm that sounds and
> stays on. The problem comes on and off randomly, and there doesn't
> seem to be any reason for it. Also, the chime, that is supposed to
> ring when the lights are left on, sometimes rings once right before it
> happens, and once after. For example... Ding, High pitched ring (stays
> on for a random amount of time) ding, and then it's all off. Also with
> the alarm, the seatbelt and brake light on the dash will come on and
> stay on till the alarm goes off.
>
> I found out that the alarm is coming from the integrated control unit,
> but I still can't figure out why. Also, so far the only way I have
> found to make it shut off is to unplug the wiring harness form the
> back of the ICU and then plug it back in.

Pull the ICU and inspect it for corroded/leaking capacitors. This is common
on some models of ICU.

Also inspect the ICU for corrosion that may have developed from water
coming in through rust in the cowl.

You may be able to find a replacement ICU cheaply from a wrecked Accord.
Visit your local wreckers.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old April 13th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_3_]

Tegger wrote:
> wrote in news:239ef034-cbc5-473c-9de5-e2747572b7d5
> @k2g2000yql.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Over the past year I have had some ongoing trouble with my Honda. This
>> problem happens during driving, when the vehicle is off, even when the
>> keys aren't in the ignition and the lights are off. The problem is
>> that there is a buzzer, more of a high pitched alarm that sounds and
>> stays on. The problem comes on and off randomly, and there doesn't
>> seem to be any reason for it. Also, the chime, that is supposed to
>> ring when the lights are left on, sometimes rings once right before it
>> happens, and once after. For example... Ding, High pitched ring (stays
>> on for a random amount of time) ding, and then it's all off. Also with
>> the alarm, the seatbelt and brake light on the dash will come on and
>> stay on till the alarm goes off.
>>
>> I found out that the alarm is coming from the integrated control unit,
>> but I still can't figure out why. Also, so far the only way I have
>> found to make it shut off is to unplug the wiring harness form the
>> back of the ICU and then plug it back in.
>>

> Pull the ICU and inspect it for corroded/leaking capacitors. This is common
> on some models of ICU.
>
> Also inspect the ICU for corrosion that may have developed from water
> coming in through rust in the cowl.
>
> You may be able to find a replacement ICU cheaply from a wrecked Accord.
> Visit your local wreckers.

i second the replacement approach. if your accord is a wagon with rear
wash/wipe, you'll need one for the same type of vehicle, but other than
that you should be ok. cheap from a wreckers yard. easy to do.

Knock sensor on Honda Accord 2005 and Honda Odyssey 2002 [email protected] Honda 3 January 2nd 09 11:00 PM
1989 Honda Accord AC JAW[_2_] Honda 1 August 12th 07 03:44 PM
1989 Honda Accord fuel filter locations Menace Honda 1 January 17th 07 02:55 AM
1989 Honda Accord LXi Big Problems NonFiction Honda 3 July 15th 06 05:19 AM
1989 Honda Accord LXi Big Problems johnin[_10_] Honda 0 July 14th 06 09:35 AM