automatic transmission failure question

Old April 27th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Steve[_1_]

Default automatic transmission failure question

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

> The AT in the Supra is also rated at 240, and is also used in Jeep Grand
> Cherokees.

The AT in the old Cherokee was the Aisin-Warner AW-4, and yes its
related to the Aisin-Sekei automatics used in rear-drive Toyotas. But it
was ONLY used behind the 4.0 six cylinder in the Grand Cherokee (190
HP), never behind the v8 (220 HP for the 5.2 starting in 1992-3). The
early 5.2 Grand Cherokee v8s got the Chrysler 43RH, and then starting
with the 4.7L and later the Hemi, they the 45RFE and ultimately the
545RFE which is also used in Ram pickups.

The AW-4 was pretty solid and reliable, very well suited to serious
off-roading in the Cherokee if you give it a big enough fluid cooler.
But it was a bit weak in the knees for the added weight of the Grand
Cherokee, and in all forms it shifted like the true definition of a
sludgebox. Its the reason I went out of my way to find a Cherokee with a
5-speed (AX-15, also built by Aisin, but its on its last legs and will
be replaced by an NV3550 from a 2000 or newer Jeep).
Old April 27th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 09:18:02 -0500, Steve wrote:

> and in all forms it shifted like the true definition of a
> sludgebox. Its the reason I went out of my way to find a Cherokee with a
> 5-speed (AX-15, also built by Aisin, but its on its last legs and will
> be replaced by an NV3550 from a 2000 or newer Jeep).

You got that right. Funny thing is, first thing in the morning the shifts
are nice and crisp, but then get sloppy as the trans warms up.

I have the LAST trans cooler line in the WORLD for the MKIII Supra. It was
shipped from a dealer in Japan. Add that to the list of things to do...

Unless...will your 5-speed fit a 7M-GE???

Old April 28th 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Steve[_1_]

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 09:18:02 -0500, Steve wrote:
>
>> and in all forms it shifted like the true definition of a
>> sludgebox. Its the reason I went out of my way to find a Cherokee with a
>> 5-speed (AX-15, also built by Aisin, but its on its last legs and will
>> be replaced by an NV3550 from a 2000 or newer Jeep).

> You got that right. Funny thing is, first thing in the morning the shifts
> are nice and crisp, but then get sloppy as the trans warms up.
>
> I have the LAST trans cooler line in the WORLD for the MKIII Supra. It was
> shipped from a dealer in Japan. Add that to the list of things to do...

Have a hydraulic parts supplier make you any hose you want. It usually
runs less than $30. Some A/C shops are set up to assemble new hoses and
fittings for you also. If you're gonna play the keep-it-forever game,
gotta learn the tricks of the trade ;-)

> Unless...will your 5-speed fit a 7M-GE???

I think that just as the AW-4 has a cousin that Toyota used in automatic
applications, the AX-15 has a cousin that they used in MT applications.
In fact it might just be no more than finding a 7M-GE bellhousing and
clutch that works. AX-15s are common as dirt, people are looking for
NV3550s more these days but the problem is that Jeep only used the
NV3550 starting in 2000, and the percentage of MTs in Jeeps was lower
after 2000 than before (demand shifted to 2wd/automatic in competition
with the flood of "SUVs" never intended to go offroad from other
manufacturers).