Rebuildable Rabbit Front Strut Bearings

Old April 3rd 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Rebuildable Rabbit Front Strut Bearings

I've just acquired a pair of the old-style A1 strut bearings (the kind
that came on the 75 and 76 rabbits, I believe). I'm getting ready to
redo the suspension on my 84 rabbit. But I've just been told
that early rabbit springs were slightly different that later rabbit
springs. Specifically, I heard that the later rabbit springs were
smaller at the ends. The person I was talking to said that if I was
intending to use the older style strut bearings on my '84 rabbit, then
when I purchased replacement oem springs, I needed to be sure that I
ordered oem springs for one of these early rabbits. OEM springs for an
'84 rabbit won't work on the earlier bearings, he said. Can somebody
please confirm/deny this?

Thanks,
Bryan

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email
Old April 4th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> I've just acquired a pair of the old-style A1 strut bearings (the kind
> that came on the 75 and 76 rabbits, I believe). I'm getting ready to
> redo the suspension on my 84 rabbit. But I've just been told
> that early rabbit springs were slightly different that later rabbit
> springs. Specifically, I heard that the later rabbit springs were
> smaller at the ends. The person I was talking to said that if I was
> intending to use the older style strut bearings on my '84 rabbit, then
> when I purchased replacement oem springs, I needed to be sure that I
> ordered oem springs for one of these early rabbits. OEM springs for an
> '84 rabbit won't work on the earlier bearings, he said. Can somebody
> please confirm/deny this?
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

I didn't think it made a difference so long as you used the right upper
spring seat. But I've been known to be wrong before.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old April 4th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Early Rabbit and Scirocco 74-79 had front springs with all equal sized
coils. The 80 on models came with springs that had a smaller diameter coil,
or pig tail at the top. All the coils were the same diameter except the top
coil which is smaller. The newer style springs last longer , have less
breakage due to fatigue. There is a plate between the spring and the upper
bearing, called the upper spring mount. If you use the older spring, you
must use the older spring mount to seat the spring. If you use the newer
spring, then you get a new upper spring mount to match the new spring. The
strut bearing is the same from75-88. rabbit Scirocco. Your strut bearings
are not different and will work, on either spring style. Also Rabbits
,Sciroccos, Jettas 75-84 have external threads on the strut casing. Internal
threads are used on USA Rabbits 79-83. But many have been converted. If you
do change the struts. You must get the ones for internal, or external
threads, which ever you have. Remember to put gear lube or engine oil in the
casing, so the strut will be removable next time and not rusted in. I use
old engine or gear lube for this. Make sure it squeezes out when you insert
the new strut so it fills the whole space. I once disassembled the front
struts on a 80 rabbit in a buddies garage and could not get it back together
because I bought the older springs which fell right around the newer upper
spring mounts that were on the car. I could not find the older spring mount
anywhere and had to buy the newer style spring to match my spring mounts.
ink.com...

Old April 4th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On 2006-04-03, none2u > wrote:
> breakage due to fatigue. There is a plate between the spring and the upper
> bearing, called the upper spring mount. If you use the older spring, you
> must use the older spring mount to seat the spring. If you use the newer
> spring, then you get a new upper spring mount to match the new spring. The

OK. This makes sense. If I'm using the newer spring (and the spring
I'm replacing is also the newer spring) can I reuse the upper spring
mount from that which I'm replacing? More simply put, do I need to
use brand new upper spring mounts every time I replace springs/struts?

> are not different and will work, on either spring style. Also Rabbits
> ,Sciroccos, Jettas 75-84 have external threads on the strut casing. Internal
> threads are used on USA Rabbits 79-83. But many have been converted. If you

I'm a little confused here. So a USA '84 would be EXTERNAL?

> do change the struts. You must get the ones for internal, or external
> threads, which ever you have. Remember to put gear lube or engine oil in the
> casing, so the strut will be removable next time and not rusted in. I use
> old engine or gear lube for this. Make sure it squeezes out when you insert
> the new strut so it fills the whole space. I once disassembled the front

Thanks for this tip. I think I'm probably going to buy new housings,
mine are rusted pretty thoroughly. I can't be sure, as I don't know
the full history of this rabbit, but my hunch is that the
struts/springs, have never been replaced. They are in bad shape.

Thank you everybody for your help!
Bryan

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email
Old April 4th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> On 2006-04-03, none2u > wrote:
> > breakage due to fatigue. There is a plate between the spring and the upper
> > bearing, called the upper spring mount. If you use the older spring, you
> > must use the older spring mount to seat the spring. If you use the newer
> > spring, then you get a new upper spring mount to match the new spring. The

> OK. This makes sense. If I'm using the newer spring (and the spring
> I'm replacing is also the newer spring) can I reuse the upper spring
> mount from that which I'm replacing?

That's my understanding, yes, but I can't give you a 100% on that.

> More simply put, do I need to
> use brand new upper spring mounts every time I replace springs/struts?

No, I think you just need to use the ones appropriate to the springs
that you are using.

> > are not different and will work, on either spring style. Also Rabbits
> > ,Sciroccos, Jettas 75-84 have external threads on the strut casing. Internal
> > threads are used on USA Rabbits 79-83. But many have been converted. If you

> I'm a little confused here. So a USA '84 would be EXTERNAL?

I believe so, that seems to be my recollection from doing the front end
on my '84 Wabbit GTI. Doesn't make any difference to the spring seat
or strut bearing though, only what kind of struts you need to order.
Boge sucks BTW.

> > do change the struts. You must get the ones for internal, or external
> > threads, which ever you have. Remember to put gear lube or engine oil in the
> > casing, so the strut will be removable next time and not rusted in. I use
> > old engine or gear lube for this. Make sure it squeezes out when you insert
> > the new strut so it fills the whole space. I once disassembled the front

> Thanks for this tip. I think I'm probably going to buy new housings,
> mine are rusted pretty thoroughly. I can't be sure, as I don't know
> the full history of this rabbit, but my hunch is that the
> struts/springs, have never been replaced. They are in bad shape.

Good luck with the replacement then, I had to cut the caps off the
struts on my GTI; there was no way to non-destructively remove them.
Fortunately the replacement struts came with new caps (I think this was
the Boge set) but I had to replace them with Konis in only a couple
years because they wore out amazingly fast.

nate

Old April 4th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On 2006-04-04, N8N > wrote:

> Bryan K. Walton wrote:
>> OK. This makes sense. If I'm using the newer spring (and the spring
>> I'm replacing is also the newer spring) can I reuse the upper spring
>> mount from that which I'm replacing?

> That's my understanding, yes, but I can't give you a 100% on that.

OK.

>> More simply put, do I need to
>> use brand new upper spring mounts every time I replace springs/struts?

> No, I think you just need to use the ones appropriate to the springs
> that you are using.

OK.

>> I'm a little confused here. So a USA '84 would be EXTERNAL?

> I believe so, that seems to be my recollection from doing the front end
> on my '84 Wabbit GTI. Doesn't make any difference to the spring seat
> or strut bearing though, only what kind of struts you need to order.
> Boge sucks BTW.

Thanks.

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email
Old April 5th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

You do not need to use brand new upper spring mounts every time you replace
the struts. Its nothing more then a piece of steel molded to the spring,
with a hole in it for the strut to go through. You reuse it all the time
until it rots , or you get the other springs, then you need the other one.
Put some paint on it if you want. There's external and internal threads for
the strut nut. The 84 should be external threads. Its easy to look at your
car and see which you have. I gave the years but it doesn't matter because
people use what they buy, and you just know,what's on your car unless you
look. If you're buying new strut housings , It doesn't matter anyway. You
can see what's on the new ones and order the appropriate struts, with the
correct nuts. Summary. Your bearings will work. Springs have matching
upper spring mounts. Strut housings have internal or external threads. The
new struts have a matching internal or external nut for the housing. And
the kicker,, there's rubber snubbers, or bumper stops, and a plastic cap
that go on the strut to keep them from bottoming out, and keep dirt off the
chrome part. Good luck... Since you seem to be willing to buy so many parts
.. I will add the following because this may be cheaper or easier or both.
Parts place for VWs has brand new completely assembled front strut
assemblies , housings, springs, struts bearings, mounts ,snubbers, caps .
Completely done for, 259 front pair. This means you remove two bottom bolts
and two top bolts and they are out. The Springs are already mounted. They
are Sachs or Boge. OEM. with firmer US springs. They have a core charge of
18 bucks but have a rebate for $20 off. I suspect all your parts ,because
you're buying housings will be more then that. But your way means you have
to mount the springs. There phone number is 1-248-373-2300 . the struts
number is sn 13691 The rebate number is 16386. The core needs to be there in
30 days or you lose your 18 bucks. They sell a rebuild kit for 159 too,
without the housing , but it has everything else brand new with old style
springs. So you have to find the upper mounts old style. Its Boge too.
external No.1996, internal No. 3947. No rebate or core. I don't work there
, just trying to help..

Old April 5th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Everything bryan wrote here is absolutely correct. Good luck.

Old April 5th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On 2006-04-04, none2u > wrote:
> Put some paint on it if you want. There's external and internal threads for
> the strut nut. The 84 should be external threads. Its easy to look at your
> car and see which you have. I gave the years but it doesn't matter because
> people use what they buy, and you just know,what's on your car unless you
> look. If you're buying new strut housings , It doesn't matter anyway. You

Thanks again for the helpful reply. One final question for you and
others, assuming I can get struts for both internally and externally
threaded strut housings, what are peoples thoughts on the two options
with regard to the housings? Assuming that I have access to both, is
one type of thread considered better (easier to work with, or one that
ages better -- with regard to rust)?

Thanks!
Bryan

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email
Old April 5th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I don't know about that. It may be just that the US ones were made here, so
they were different. I,d accept whatever the parts store had . but I think
I'd want the easiest ones to get the nut off, ,which seems to be the
external ones. I would want the later pigtail springs because they lasted
longer. But I,d take the ones that match the upper mounts. Because I never
found any anywhere except a junk yard. If you're worried about rust and
getting them apart again in 5 years, Then I,d put antiseize compound on the
nut threads too. Also don't forget your plastic caps and the snubbers. The
plastic caps are there to keep the dirt off your chrome piston and keep it
from getting inside the strut and damaging the seal when your strut moves up
and down. The snubbers keep your suspension from bottoming out and breaking
something. If you leave these off you will need struts long before the rust
gets to them .I wouldn't be surprised if people who say their struts were
crap, left these off. Logically you could say that the internal threads
should last longer as they aren't exposed to salt spray. But they rot just
as fast inside as out unless you fill them with old engine oil or gear lube.
And the external nuts seem easier to get out if it has to be destructed.