Req: Some advice on buying a Jeep

Old December 15th 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep

Default Req: Some advice on buying a Jeep

I've been wanting to buy one for a few years and now have a good
reason to do it, since my 88 Honda CRX is beginning to show its age.
The Jeep that I want is a 2003 or 2004 Sahara. Rubicons are a little
too much unless you are a hard core off-roader and I am not crazy
about the way the extra length kind of ruins the classic Jeep lines in
the Unlimited models. Obviously it might make sense to wait a couple
of weeks till 2006, so the 2003-2004 models depreciate a bit more.
The prices may rise a bit as we get closer to the summer, but is there
a good period to look for used Jeeps? Do a bunch of them get traded
in or sold as people buy 2006 models? I would have to finance a large
chunk of it, so I'd have to buy from a dealership. You can get
financing for a private party transaction but its a real pain and the
rates are much higher.
I've been keeping track of Saharas on Ebay and I am wondering if that
maybe the way to go, but I don't seem to be able to get a straight
answer from the Registry ( I am in Arizona) if I'd have to pay sales
tax at 7.6% at some point if I bought a Jeep out of state.
Thanks in advance for any info or advice!

Old December 16th 05, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep

Default Some advice on buying a Jeep

I will comment on the sales tax thing. In NJ anyway, one pays the sales tax
on a used vehicle when one registers it. It does not matter where it was
purchased. It might be that way in Arizona.
Tomes

Old December 16th 05, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep

Tomes wrote:
> I will comment on the sales tax thing. In NJ anyway, one pays the sales tax
> on a used vehicle when one registers it. It does not matter where it was
> purchased. It might be that way in Arizona.
> Tomes
>
> "Ripley59" > wrote in message
>> I've been wanting to buy one for a few years and now have a good
>> reason to do it, since my 88 Honda CRX is beginning to show its age.
>> The Jeep that I want is a 2003 or 2004 Sahara. Rubicons are a little
>> too much unless you are a hard core off-roader and I am not crazy
>> about the way the extra length kind of ruins the classic Jeep lines in
>> the Unlimited models. Obviously it might make sense to wait a couple
>> of weeks till 2006, so the 2003-2004 models depreciate a bit more.
>> The prices may rise a bit as we get closer to the summer, but is there
>> a good period to look for used Jeeps? Do a bunch of them get traded
>> in or sold as people buy 2006 models? I would have to finance a large
>> chunk of it, so I'd have to buy from a dealership. You can get
>> financing for a private party transaction but its a real pain and the
>> rates are much higher.
>> I've been keeping track of Saharas on Ebay and I am wondering if that
>> maybe the way to go, but I don't seem to be able to get a straight
>> answer from the Registry ( I am in Arizona) if I'd have to pay sales
>> tax at 7.6% at some point if I bought a Jeep out of state.
>> Thanks in advance for any info or advice!

I just registered my '02 Liberty in Arizona (moved from Texas) and I
only had to pay registration and title fees. But, it was previously
registered and titled in Texas. I suspect if you show up with paper
dealer plates from another state you'll have to pay sales tax like if
you purchased it in Arizona. And if you first register out of state
you'll have to pay someone else's state sales tax.

--
FRH
Old December 16th 05, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The way most states work it is that you have to pay the "sales and
**USE** tax" when you register it, some states will give you credit for
previous sales taxes paid.

Old December 16th 05, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep

I just bought an '04 Rubicon from a private party here in so. calif. after
looking for a jeep for a few months. My observations a

1. Jeeps will depreciate at a faster rate the first couple or 3 years after
new. I believe that's because if the price of a used 2-3 year old jeep is
too close to that of a new one, the buyer will just get the new one.

2. The extra money you pay for certain "upgrades" like the Sahara or
Rubicon or the hard top is worth it when you go to sell later. You won't
necessarily get all your outlay back but you'll get some and you'll also
sell it quicker.

3. The "turn-over" rate on jeeps, especially Wranglers, is not nearly like
other vehicles. And it seems like Jeep owners tend to keep them a long
time (until they wear out!).

4. If you get a Rubicon from a private party, make certain you get at least
2 working (transponder) keys with it. A spare key from the dealer is
about $100.00.

And so far, I am quite happy with my Christmas present to myself.

Ralph

Old December 16th 05, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep

I have purchased Jeep branded Transponder keys on e-bay for $11.99 each.

If you have 2 working keys then you can program them yourself for free.

If, as in my case, you received only one key you take your e-Bay purchased
key to your local locksmith* and they cut the key and programmed it for
$24.95.

Now that I had 2 working keys I purchased another key from the same e-Bayer
for $11.99, had it cut by the locksmith for $2.50 and programmed it myself
according to the procedure as shown at www.wjjeeps.com

* This method requires you go to a "real" locksmith, not the guy at the
lumberyard.

--
(Remove the SPAM)
2002 WJ Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
ink.net...

Old December 17th 05, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep

Actually, I am a locksmith but I don't work on automotive equipment and I
don't know much about them. I went down to my local distributor and
bought a half dozen transponder blanks at $11.00 each. I then cut one and
took it (and the Jeep) to the local dealer where they programmed it. For
$42.00. I didn't think about having another locksmith do it, just
assumed that I had to go to a dealer. Good advice! Anyway, just as you
did, now having 2 good keys I cut and programmed a 3rd for safetys sake.
By the way, the dealer wanted another $45.00 to cut their blank on top of
the programming. That plus sales tax takes a major portion of a C-note.
Only enough left over to get a small cup of coffee.

Ah, live and learn, huh?

Old December 17th 05, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep

I'll comment on the eBay thing.

If you can look at the jeep in person and test drive it before buying, then
eBay is fine. But I would never recommend buying any used vehicle based on
descriptions and photos alone. Any experienced driver who has spun a few
wrenches can pick up a lot just from the feel of the drive, the sound of the
motor, and various intangible things. Buying without first looking is
asking for unpleasant surprises.

Also ... don't be in a hurry to buy. Another screaming good deal will
always come along if you're not perfectly happy with the vehicle or the
price.

Just my $.02

Old December 28th 05, 11:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,alt.jeep-l,rec.autos.jeep

Remember Jeeps are different than the "A" typical SUV, their ride is totally
different, you hear a lot of rode noise, you feel the road when driving, if
you keep this in mind you will be ok and do not compare them to another SUV
because there is nothing like it. IT is a Jeep Thing and most people do not
understand. I have been driving Jeeps for over 30 years an once you are
hooked you are hooked. If you can test drive one both the automatic and the
standard, I prefer the standards and never have owned a vehicle with an
automatic.

Coasty

"Ripley59" > wrote in message
> I've been wanting to buy one for a few years and now have a good
> reason to do it, since my 88 Honda CRX is beginning to show its age.
> The Jeep that I want is a 2003 or 2004 Sahara. Rubicons are a little
> too much unless you are a hard core off-roader and I am not crazy
> about the way the extra length kind of ruins the classic Jeep lines in
> the Unlimited models. Obviously it might make sense to wait a couple
> of weeks till 2006, so the 2003-2004 models depreciate a bit more.
> The prices may rise a bit as we get closer to the summer, but is there
> a good period to look for used Jeeps? Do a bunch of them get traded
> in or sold as people buy 2006 models? I would have to finance a large
> chunk of it, so I'd have to buy from a dealership. You can get
> financing for a private party transaction but its a real pain and the
> rates are much higher.
> I've been keeping track of Saharas on Ebay and I am wondering if that
> maybe the way to go, but I don't seem to be able to get a straight
> answer from the Registry ( I am in Arizona) if I'd have to pay sales
> tax at 7.6% at some point if I bought a Jeep out of state.
> Thanks in advance for any info or advice!

Newbie Needs Advice On First Jeep Purchase Riles Jeep 3 May 24th 05 01:45 AM
What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 06:06 AM
Early GTV: Buying Advice Simon C Alfa Romeo 2 June 29th 04 09:20 PM
Used 156 buying Advice Please ? Steve Haigh Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 09:12 PM
Advice wanted on buying a used car Rykk General 1 April 8th 04 08:05 PM