BMWNA October Sales

Old November 6th 04, 06:26 PM
Ramone Cila

Default BMWNA October Sales

In it's last year the 3 series is down about 4% year to date. In terms of
market performance...what a product! The A4 is down 10% year to date and the
C Class is down 3% but selling far fewer units that the E46.

The 5 is doing great and appears be the second best 5 series year (2003 E39
being the best) ever, and despite having two full months to go is already
better than the first full year of E39 sales. The E-Class still outsells
everybody in this segment in the US. They are down for the month but up for
the year. The A6 is way off track and down 20% year to date.

7 sales are down 19% for YTD but so is the market. Merc S Class sales are
down 37% for the month and 12% for the year. By comparison Audi sells very
few A8's..but their numbers are up about 68% 2004 vs. 2003.

Z4's are off 2003 numbers by 23%, But so is everyone else's roadster
numbers. There may be too much competition for the market levels. By
comparison Boxster numbers are off by 37% for 2004 vs. 2003. TT's off 31%,
SLK's off 17%.

Production must have ramped up for the 6 because like the 5 those sales
numbers are growing.

2004 X5/X3 combo has outdone the 2003 X5 numbers by 23,000+ year to date.
And given the sales figures for the sedans it sure doesn't seem like many of
those buyers were cannibalized from the 3 and 5 series cars. No one else
comes close to BMW in success with an SUV, but Porsche is selling the living
crap out of the Cayenne.

If my math is worth a **** BMW is having their best year ever and outselling
Merc in the US. Despite all the commotion over design and i-drive BMW is
doing great. And where BMW is suffering unit sales losses in certain
segments, so are their competitors, which seems to indicate it is the
market, rather than anyone's particular offering, that is dictating the
those reduced sales.

Despite bad press about design and almost constant criticism in forums like
this, BMW can only be happy about their performance this year and
particularly ecstatic about their performance compared to competitors in
various market segments that are suffering across the board.

Unlike some of the posters on this ng, I am really happy to see BMW selling
cars and pumping money.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...008/bmw/1.html

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...porsche/1.html

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...ercedes/1.html

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...06/Audi/1.html

http://www.e60.net/information/ click "US Unit Sales"

Old November 6th 04, 11:29 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Just for comparison it would be interesting to see the situation in Germany,
where Merc sales are always greater than BMW's overall, though different
individual models fare differently.

Unfortunately the source I have is still stuck in July:
http://www.kfz-auskunft.de/kfz/pkw_n...juli_2004.html

C just ahead of 3
E substantially over 5

But only the 5 has shown an increase over the same month in the previous
year.

DAS
---

"Ramone Cila" > wrote in message
> In it's last year the 3 series is down about 4% year to date. In terms of
> market performance...what a product! The A4 is down 10% year to date and
> the
> C Class is down 3% but selling far fewer units that the E46.

[...]>
> Unlike some of the posters on this ng, I am really happy to see BMW
> selling
> cars and pumping money.

[...]

Old November 7th 04, 02:09 AM
GRL

How about comparison with Lexus? Or Infiniti?

George Litwinski

Old November 7th 04, 02:28 AM
GRL

People who frequent this news group are not your typical BMW heads. They are
car enthusiasts with a particular liking for Bimmers.

I think a large part of the audience for BMW's in this country (USA) are
people who view a BMW as a respectable Buick and really don't care all that
much about the driving experience as impacted by, for example, cryptic
controls...or questionable styling. (Who do you think they screwed up the
steering effort for in 2001 3-series?) If it has the spinning propeller
blades on it somewhere, the two kidneys grill, and a sufficiently high price
tag to make it "exclusive", that's good enough. If it's a new model, so much
the better. Evidence is the large number of 2.5 L 3-series and 5-series cars
sold and the overwhelming preponderance of automatic cars sold here. The 2.5
L 3-series is seriously under-powered (test drove one this summer with a
manual and words escape me as to how under-whelmed I was, the 5-series has
to be worse), yet it is the 3-series bread and butter version. I already got
flamed to the moon for my comments on what I think about the concept of
automatics in supposed BMW sporting machinery, so no more here on that -- I
was right, though.

Anyway, as such, what the consensus is about Bangle styling is irrelevant to
sales of BMW cars. We are out of touch with their mass market. We represent
a small niche that they can safely afford to ignore...and will. Let's face
it, ugly or not, what else will you buy once you have a BMW Jones?

GRL

Old November 7th 04, 03:51 PM
Somebody

"GRL" > wrote in message
> automatics in supposed BMW sporting machinery, so no more here on that --

I drove a 1997 328i auto, and was underwhelmed. But driving a heavier 1997
528i 5-speed was *way* more fun. It felt faster and more lively but a wide
margin. I don't even care what the numbers were, but the driving experience
was transformed by the manual.

-Russ.

Old November 7th 04, 10:18 PM
Ramone Cila

"GRL" > wrote in message
> How about comparison with Lexus? Or Infiniti?

I don't see Lexus or Infiniti targeting similar balance between performance
and luxury in the way the German makes are, so I don't see the relevance in
comaring sales figures with the Japanese makes. Though Caddy might have been
a good one to include, despite the great disparity in selling price.

The bottom line is that in a very competitive and decidedly "down" market
BMW is doing quiet well, indeed record well, with both it new models and
it's older ones. I like seeing that.

> George Litwinski
> "Ramone Cila" > wrote in message
> > In it's last year the 3 series is down about 4% year to date. In terms

of
> > market performance...what a product! The A4 is down 10% year to date and

> the
> > C Class is down 3% but selling far fewer units that the E46.
> >
> > The 5 is doing great and appears be the second best 5 series year (2003

> E39
> > being the best) ever, and despite having two full months to go is

already
> > better than the first full year of E39 sales. The E-Class still outsells
> > everybody in this segment in the US. They are down for the month but up

> for
> > the year. The A6 is way off track and down 20% year to date.
> >
> > 7 sales are down 19% for YTD but so is the market. Merc S Class sales

are
> > down 37% for the month and 12% for the year. By comparison Audi sells

very
> > few A8's..but their numbers are up about 68% 2004 vs. 2003.
> >
> > Z4's are off 2003 numbers by 23%, But so is everyone else's roadster
> > numbers. There may be too much competition for the market levels. By
> > comparison Boxster numbers are off by 37% for 2004 vs. 2003. TT's off

31%,
> > SLK's off 17%.
> >
> > Production must have ramped up for the 6 because like the 5 those sales
> > numbers are growing.
> >
> > 2004 X5/X3 combo has outdone the 2003 X5 numbers by 23,000+ year to date

..

Old November 8th 04, 02:23 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

THAT is LA-speak. Very few (I daren't say "nobody") in RoW would think 2.5
litres as "underpowered" in a 3!

DAS
---

[...]

Old November 8th 04, 02:25 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Exactly!

DAS
---

[...]

Old November 8th 04, 03:11 PM
Fred W

Somebody wrote:

> I drove a 1997 328i auto, and was underwhelmed. But driving a heavier 1997
> 528i 5-speed was *way* more fun. It felt faster and more lively but a wide
> margin. I don't even care what the numbers were, but the driving experience
> was transformed by the manual.

Now go drive the 5 speed in a few hours of stop and go city traffic.
Repeat 5 days a week for 50 weeks a year, then tell me which you would
choose.

I am a fan of standard transmissions in "fun" cars too. Most of my cars
have them (Z3, 325i, Wrangler). But my 540i (which I bought with the
express purpose of driving in and out of city traffic) and my Ford
Exploder (whose purpose in life is pulling trailers) have slush boxes
because that is what makes sense for their intended uses.

If I could only have one car, and if I was commuting or driving
regularly in a major metropolitan area, I would go for a "sluggish"
automatic any day.

-Fred W
Old November 8th 04, 03:30 PM
Somebody

"Fred W" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>
> > I drove a 1997 328i auto, and was underwhelmed. But driving a heavier

1997
> > 528i 5-speed was *way* more fun. It felt faster and more lively but a

wide
> > margin. I don't even care what the numbers were, but the driving

experience
> > was transformed by the manual.
> >

> Now go drive the 5 speed in a few hours of stop and go city traffic.
> Repeat 5 days a week for 50 weeks a year, then tell me which you would
> choose.
>
> I am a fan of standard transmissions in "fun" cars too. Most of my cars
> have them (Z3, 325i, Wrangler). But my 540i (which I bought with the
> express purpose of driving in and out of city traffic) and my Ford
> Exploder (whose purpose in life is pulling trailers) have slush boxes
> because that is what makes sense for their intended uses.
>
> If I could only have one car, and if I was commuting or driving
> regularly in a major metropolitan area, I would go for a "sluggish"
> automatic any day.

I've done the congested city commute enough times to admit that if that was
my daily life, I would be forced into an automatic. Begrudgingly. Your
Exploder slushie choice is appropriate too. I just remain surprised that
more people don't opt for manual in BMWNA land, because the difference in
driving experience for enthusiastic driving is immense. Many people that
love their autos have literally never driven a manual long enough to get
good at it and really appreciate it.

But if you're forced into an auto, a Bimmer is the best auto to buy. :-)

-Russ.