Was I burned and not even KNOW it?

Old July 19th 05, 05:45 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, NoName wrote:

> To be quite irritable about it, I am amazed that Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth
> engineered the goofy headlamp assembly

Chrysler specializes in engineering goofy headlamp assemblies that are a
pain to service, don't perform well and use hard-to-find bulbs. The reason
your particular lamps are such a hassle to service is that they were
engineered as a kludge fix for the truly awful headlamps fitted to the
'96-'97 T&C and the '96-'00 Caravan/Voyager (all the same lamp). Guess
the complaints of people who buy Chryslers count more than the same
complaints of people who buy Dodges and Plymouths.

Old July 19th 05, 09:38 PM
NoName

Heh heh heh.
I hear that.

Here's a 'completely' different question, on a 91 Dodge Caravan.
Headlights on the OUTSIDE seem to have had a 'coating' or something on them.
its partially coming off, and makes the lights look dull (during the
daytime), though my son followed me for a while last night, and they seemed
to be pretty bright.

Is there something I could DO that would replace the 'film' on the
headlights? or to remove the 'raggedy' looking stuff that is peeling off?

Sorry to change subjects in mid flame against Chrysler/Dodge.....
Thanks in advance for any info.

n.umich.edu...

Old July 19th 05, 10:09 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, NoName wrote:

> Here's a 'completely' different question, on a 91 Dodge Caravan.
> Headlights on the OUTSIDE seem to have had a 'coating' or something on them.

They always have -- a hardcoat that protects the polycarbonate lens
material underneath from being scratched. Like cheap car paint, it
oxidizes, dulls and chalks-up over the years. You can polish these lenses
a couple times before they're completely dead, IF the degradation isn't
too severe. Use a good grade of car polish (not rubbing compound!) such as
Meguiars Body Scrub or blue-label TR3. It'll take some elbow grease. If
the coating is flaking and peeling, the lenses *are* dead-dead-dead and
you need new headlamps.

If you're trying to *see* in the '91, put in headlamp relays. Chrysler's
headlamp wiring sucks.
Old July 19th 05, 11:59 PM
NoName

Thanks for the info.
I will give the car polish (not rubbing compound) a try. the coating is
flaking, so I suspect your right. However, when I drive the car, I can see
well enough, but not as nice as on my wife's T&C. Since THAT car still has
nice clear and shiny lens, should the TR3 or Mequiars be used on IT, or wait
till the lenses start to be less clear. Also have a '94 Taurus whose
headlight lens is crystal clear and shiny. On the 91 Caravan, it almost
looks like the lens have been 'sandblasted'. The clear PLASTIC lens for the
reflector part of the assembly is nice and clear/shiny. Is it the heat from
the headlamps which hasten the decomposition of that polycarbonate
coating???

Old July 20th 05, 12:57 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, NoName wrote:

> nice clear and shiny lens, should the TR3 or Mequiars be used on IT, or wait
> till the lenses start to be less clear.

Wait.

> Is it the heat from the headlamps which hasten the decomposition of that
> polycarbonate coating???

Mostly UV exposure from sunlight