fuel leakage / smell?

Old October 31st 04, 01:57 AM
Ed Botwinik

Default fuel leakage / smell?

I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out a problem. I have a 73 Thing
with a 1600cc dual port that is newly rebuilt.

The problem is the smell of raw fuel when the car is running.
I've recently replaced the fuel tank, all fuel lines, fuel filter and fuel
pump. There don't seem to be any cylinders that are not firing. I've
replaced the carb with a used one in known good condition. I can eliminate
the heater system as a source because it is currently not in the car, nor
are any of the associated lines attached.

Does anyone have any other ideas where to look?

Old October 31st 04, 02:11 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: "Ed Botwinik"

>The problem is the smell of raw fuel when the car is running.
>I've recently replaced the fuel tank, all fuel lines, fuel filter and fuel
>pump. There don't seem to be any cylinders that are not firing. I've
>replaced the carb with a used one in known good condition. I can eliminate
>the heater system as a source because it is currently not in the car, nor
>are any of the associated lines attached.
>
>Does anyone have any other ideas where to look?

check your charcoal canister...if it is still hooked up to vent the fuel tank,
but not to the fanshroud and aircleaner you will get a fuel smell....
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old October 31st 04, 02:31 AM
Ed Botwinik

I'm not sure the '73 had one. There is a canister up by the fuel tank, but
it appears to be nothing more than an expansion tank as it doesn't contain
anything. Also there is what appears to be a vent hose attached to the fan
shroud, but the other end doesn't seem to go anywhere, it's just looped over
the rear axle. This has not however caused the smell in the past.

Old October 31st 04, 02:39 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: "Ed Botwinik"

>I'm not sure the '73 had one. There is a canister up by the fuel tank, but
>it appears to be nothing more than an expansion tank as it doesn't contain
>anything.

yeah that is the expansion tank...it should run back to the tank and to the
rear of the vehicle to where the charcoal canister is/was...

>Also there is what appears to be a vent hose attached to the fan
>shroud, but the other end doesn't seem to go anywhere, it's just looped over

that hose was to the charcoal canister...
-------------------
Old October 31st 04, 09:53 AM
DGB

Check the engine oil for gas smell. If it's there as well then check the
rubber diaphragm beneath the fuel pump. Took me almost forever to find this
one.

DGB

Old November 1st 04, 12:36 AM
Ed B

Fuel pump was recently replaced, but from previous experience that may not
mean much. I'll be sure to add that to the list of places to check. Plenty
of ideas so far, but this one has me stumped.

Old November 1st 04, 12:38 AM
Ed B

>>I'm not sure the '73 had one. There is a canister up by the fuel tank, but
>>it appears to be nothing more than an expansion tank as it doesn't contain
>>anything.

> yeah that is the expansion tank...it should run back to the tank and to
> the
> rear of the vehicle to where the charcoal canister is/was...
>
>>Also there is what appears to be a vent hose attached to the fan
>>shroud, but the other end doesn't seem to go anywhere, it's just looped
>>over

> that hose was to the charcoal canister...

Could you give me a brief description of where the charcoal cannister should
be and what hoses should run where from it? That may help me put this back
together the right way. I cannot find a diagram for a Thing's hoses
anywhere, but it should be similar to any other VW aircooled I would think.

Old November 1st 04, 01:19 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: "Ed B"

>Could you give me a brief description of where the charcoal cannister should
>be and what hoses should run where from it? That may help me put this back
>together the right way.

not sure of location in a thing, but usually they were located near the rear of
the car...in beetles they were under the right rear fender....there is usually
a line running from the front(from the expansion chamber you have already
located) to the charcoal canister....there is a line from the fanshroud(usually
top right while looking at the engine) that helps to pressure the canister and
push the vapors out of another line that runs to the aircleaner....now this is
all from memory since it has been litterally years since i had a bug that had
the system intact(was a 71SB)....others may be able to help more....
-------------------
Old November 1st 04, 04:38 AM
Hairy

"Ed Botwinik" > wrote in message
> I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out a problem. I have a 73

Thing
> with a 1600cc dual port that is newly rebuilt.
>
> The problem is the smell of raw fuel when the car is running.
> I've recently replaced the fuel tank, all fuel lines, fuel filter and fuel
> pump. There don't seem to be any cylinders that are not firing. I've
> replaced the carb with a used one in known good condition. I can eliminate
> the heater system as a source because it is currently not in the car, nor
> are any of the associated lines attached.
>
> Does anyone have any other ideas where to look?

Pull the shift coupler cover and sniff for fuel in the tunnel. Also make
sure there's no leak around the tank sending unit. Could also be leaking at
the carb inlet nipple.

Old November 1st 04, 05:37 AM
Jim Adney

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:57:24 -0500 "Ed Botwinik" >
wrote:

>The problem is the smell of raw fuel when the car is running.

The fuel filler pipe is connected to the tank by a short, large hose.
There is supposed to be a large black "rubber band" under each end of
this large hose. The "rubber band" is essential to making a good seal
at each of those 2 connections; they will never seal without them.

Are they there? They often get left out because they are thought to be
unimportant, and they're a pain to get in there correctly.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Fuel supply problem Major Tom Corvette 0 January 4th 05 03:31 AM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 03:41 PM
76 Difficult Cold Starts daveo76 Corvette 22 September 9th 04 12:54 AM