Theft: How do you minimize break ins?

Old November 16th 04, 03:11 PM
Majiin Will

Default Theft: How do you minimize break ins?

I have 91 Accord with JVC Kameleon and Speakers. No alarm or no
keyless entry. I live in an Apartment complex. My radio has been
stolen once, the glass was just smashed in.

Any tricks you've used?

The two tips I've seen are also be a red flag at the same time. Rather
paradoxical:

1) Parking in a lit visible area. = Thief won't risk getting caught
vs. Thief will notice what you have even better.

2) Flashing LED/Alarm = Discourages thief = Encourages thief who
wonders what you're protecting.

3) Tinted windows = Low visibility = hiding something.

For those of you in Apartment complexes, where do you park your cars?

I just try to not park in corners, and to park in parking spots
facing apartments in plain view. I park near lights, but not right
under them. People must be really bold to be daring enough to still
in plain daylight, or is it really not that hard?

I'm actually thinking that the best course of action is to
psychologically just prepare msyelf and assume that it will happen
again sooner or later. At this point in my career, I can only afford
liability insurance, but hopefully in the future, I might just shelf
out the cash for a $50 deductible comprehensive coverage, it just may
be worth it for the peace of mind.
Old November 16th 04, 04:29 PM
Sm704

At least get an alarm installed. This way, if anyone tries to break in,
the alarm goes off and will probably draw attention. Then again, some
people simply ignore them.

You might also consider removing the stereo's faceplate and taking it
in your apartment at night.

I don't know how it is in other states and cities, but where I live,
Hondas seem to be targeted all the time for break-ins, stolen parts,
etc. I too have to park my car in the street, so I wont ever buy a
Honda or any other make that is notorious for theft and stolen parts.

Old November 16th 04, 05:33 PM
Scott Van Nest

buy a house / move to an apartment complex with attached garage.

Scott
om...

Old November 16th 04, 07:52 PM
MZ

> I have 91 Accord with JVC Kameleon and Speakers. No alarm or no
> keyless entry. I live in an Apartment complex. My radio has been
> stolen once, the glass was just smashed in.
>
> Any tricks you've used?

Go with a stock head unit and make sure everything else is hidden. Or, if
you insist on an aftermarket unit, look into using a stock head unit face
(junkyard part) as a mask. Something you could even just velcro into place
at night. Or you could get more elaborate with it. I think this is the
biggest thing you can do. Thieves look inside for an aftermarket head unit.
If they don't see one, they probably won't break in. For instance, last
year there were a bunch of cars broken into in my complex. My car was
spared because, despite having 3 high powered amplifiers, expensive
speakers, and a sub, I was using the stock head unit at the time. The car
next to me had a crappy aftermarket head unit - it was broken into.

Even in the trunk, do a stealth installation (eg. grille cloth over a grille
cover on the sub; amps hidden from view) so that people can't see from a
distance that you have an audio system if you have to open your trunk.

And, of course, turn the volume down when you approach the apartment
complex.

By the way, I agree with you about the tinted windows. An awful idea if
you're trying to prevent your car from being broken into.

Old November 16th 04, 08:37 PM
Sparky

Majiin Will wrote:

> I have 91 Accord with JVC Kameleon and Speakers. No alarm or no
> keyless entry. I live in an Apartment complex. My radio has been
> stolen once, the glass was just smashed in.
>
> Any tricks you've used?
>
> The two tips I've seen are also be a red flag at the same time. Rather
> paradoxical:
>
> 1) Parking in a lit visible area. = Thief won't risk getting caught
> vs. Thief will notice what you have even better.
>
> 2) Flashing LED/Alarm = Discourages thief = Encourages thief who
> wonders what you're protecting.
>
> 3) Tinted windows = Low visibility = hiding something.
>
> For those of you in Apartment complexes, where do you park your cars?
>
> I just try to not park in corners, and to park in parking spots
> facing apartments in plain view. I park near lights, but not right
> under them. People must be really bold to be daring enough to still
> in plain daylight, or is it really not that hard?
>
> I'm actually thinking that the best course of action is to
> psychologically just prepare msyelf and assume that it will happen
> again sooner or later. At this point in my career, I can only afford
> liability insurance, but hopefully in the future, I might just shelf
> out the cash for a $50 deductible comprehensive coverage, it just may
> be worth it for the peace of mind.

Where do you live? This was a real nightmare during the 80's into the
90's in NYC. I lost count of how many times my Rabbit was broken into
after about a dozen. The thieves would steal *anything*, not just
radios, e.g., my son's old winter jacket, a sweater, pack of cigarettes,
etc.

Forget the alarm - if it's anything like NYC it's either ignored or
people call in complaints about the noise. I had an '87 Acura Integra
stolen off the street after only 2 weeks. The alarm meant nothing.

Something that worked well for me was to have the new radio installed in
the glove compartment (on the Rabbit).
Old November 16th 04, 09:07 PM
Google Beta User

I live in Silver Spring, MD (essentially Washington, D.C).

Old November 16th 04, 11:01 PM
JM

> I'm actually thinking that the best course of action is to
> psychologically just prepare msyelf and assume that it will happen
> again sooner or later. At this point in my career, I can only afford
> liability insurance, but hopefully in the future, I might just shelf
> out the cash for a $50 deductible comprehensive coverage, it just may
> be worth it for the peace of mind.

The paradoxes do have some truth to them. Just don't put anything in
a car that you're emotionally attached to -- there's no future in it.

I even had a head unit stolen after I had removed and taken the face
plate. Who the hell knows what they were going to do with it, without
the $150 face.

Also, after your car is broken into, expect the same guy to come back
in 3-9 months. The better theives have a tickler system, at least in
their head. Why do they come back? They figure by then you have
replaced your stuff, probably with something even better.

JM
Old November 17th 04, 01:51 AM
SoCalMike

Majiin Will wrote:

> I have 91 Accord with JVC Kameleon and Speakers. No alarm or no
> keyless entry. I live in an Apartment complex. My radio has been
> stolen once, the glass was just smashed in.
>
> Any tricks you've used?

one i would try would be to put an OEM radio in the slot, and hide the
good stereo in the center armrest, console, or whereever.

or... forgo the chameleon, and try to find a recent, working, "good" OEM
stereo that will suit your needs.

> The two tips I've seen are also be a red flag at the same time. Rather
> paradoxical:
>
> 1) Parking in a lit visible area. = Thief won't risk getting caught
> vs. Thief will notice what you have even better.
>
> 2) Flashing LED/Alarm = Discourages thief = Encourages thief who
> wonders what you're protecting.

i likes the bright blue flashy ones. need to get one.

> 3) Tinted windows = Low visibility = hiding something.

or not. in california, its normal to have some tint.

> For those of you in Apartment complexes, where do you park your cars?

in a garage its a condo...

but i do have a blaupunkt colorado with the 10 disc changer. the
colorado has a tape deck head unit and detachable face. changer is in
the hatch, with 5% limo tint and a blanket over it.

i rarely use tapes, but... *hopefully* someone glancing at the headless
tape unit will realize its a "crappy" tape player and not a
"bling-bling" head unit with CD.

or not. i had a sanyo tape player head unit (old school "pull-out"
design) ripped off that really wasnt worth much of anything.

> I just try to not park in corners, and to park in parking spots
> facing apartments in plain view. I park near lights, but not right
> under them. People must be really bold to be daring enough to still
> in plain daylight, or is it really not that hard?
>
> I'm actually thinking that the best course of action is to
> psychologically just prepare msyelf and assume that it will happen
> again sooner or later. At this point in my career, I can only afford
> liability insurance, but hopefully in the future, I might just shelf
> out the cash for a $50 deductible comprehensive coverage, it just may
> be worth it for the peace of mind.

so.. either

"disguise/hide" the good stuff, go recent OEM with a decent amp, or...?

im leaning toward an ipod myself, with a "crappy" head unit and an
amp... if my blau 10-disc changer ever takes a dump on me.

Old November 17th 04, 03:18 AM
jim beam

Majiin Will wrote:
> I have 91 Accord with JVC Kameleon and Speakers. No alarm or no
> keyless entry. I live in an Apartment complex. My radio has been
> stolen once, the glass was just smashed in.
>
> Any tricks you've used?
>
> The two tips I've seen are also be a red flag at the same time. Rather
> paradoxical:
>
> 1) Parking in a lit visible area. = Thief won't risk getting caught
> vs. Thief will notice what you have even better.
>
> 2) Flashing LED/Alarm = Discourages thief = Encourages thief who
> wonders what you're protecting.
>
> 3) Tinted windows = Low visibility = hiding something.
>
> For those of you in Apartment complexes, where do you park your cars?
>
> I just try to not park in corners, and to park in parking spots
> facing apartments in plain view. I park near lights, but not right
> under them. People must be really bold to be daring enough to still
> in plain daylight, or is it really not that hard?

i used to live on nob hill in san francisco. always well lit & plenty
of people about. cars used to get their stereos ripped all the time.
the theives used to commute from down the hill. bottom line is that
noone's going to confront a kid with a crowbar short of a cop. i even
had my stereo ripped /right/ outside my apartment. even if i'd caught
them doing it, i'm not sure i would have stopped them - you never know
if they have a blade or something more serious. just hide it somewhere
not visible from outside. or keep a rottweiler in the car.

Old November 17th 04, 05:13 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

I once thought that an Optimus stereo system would deter theft but some
crackhead stole it anyway.

A noisy alarm seems to work best.

I wouldn't trust a fake LED indicator. All one has to do it hit the car
on a walk-by to see that it's fake.

Be careful of sleazy car stereo shops. I've had a couple friends go to
places that took the stereo back just hours after installation. Nobody
steals the mounting hardware unless the system was left loose for easy
removal.

People who look in the windows of parked cars are sometimes thieves
taking inventory. Have the police visit if the activity doesn't look
like normal curiosity.

Break Light Circuit message Dara BMW 5 November 29th 04 06:03 PM
98 Caravan instrument panel parking break light Yeasereno Dodge 4 August 2nd 04 03:36 AM