91 Accord engine stall

Old July 24th 05, 03:10 PM
Fijoy George

Default 91 Accord engine stall

Hi all,

I bought a used 1991 Honda Accord DX Coupe recently, and it has been giving
me problems. Sometimes the engine would stall while driving, and I have to
restart the car. This happens both at signals and on the highway. It also
sometimes would not start after parking somewhere.

I gather this is a common problem with Accords, and it is usually caused by
a faulty ignition system or fuel pump. Is there anything cheap that I can do
to narrow down the cause to just one component? This is my first car, I know
practically nothing about car repairing. Is it possible for me to do some
diagnosis by myself, perhaps by looking at some reference book?

Thanks
Fijoy

Old July 24th 05, 03:49 PM
motsco_ _

Fijoy George wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I bought a used 1991 Honda Accord DX Coupe recently, and it has been giving
> me problems. Sometimes the engine would stall while driving, and I have to
> restart the car. This happens both at signals and on the highway. It also
> sometimes would not start after parking somewhere.
>
> I gather this is a common problem with Accords, and it is usually caused by
> a faulty ignition system or fuel pump. Is there anything cheap that I can do
> to narrow down the cause to just one component? This is my first car, I know
> practically nothing about car repairing. Is it possible for me to do some
> diagnosis by myself, perhaps by looking at some reference book?
>
> Thanks
> Fijoy

-----------------------

Forget the fuel pump for now. The MAIN RELAY causes it to not start when
it's warm under the dash. Smack the dash with the key in position II, it
will start until next time. The failed ignition switch stops it dead in
traffic / on the highway. Resolder the relay, get the ignition switch
replaced before you get killed.

'Curly'

Old July 24th 05, 05:00 PM
TeGGeR®

"Fijoy George" > wrote in
:

> Hi all,
>
> I bought a used 1991 Honda Accord DX Coupe recently, and it has been
> giving me problems. Sometimes the engine would stall while driving,
> and I have to restart the car. This happens both at signals and on the
> highway. It also sometimes would not start after parking somewhere.

Might be the Main Relay or ignition switch, as Curly says.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#startrun

> I gather this is a common problem with Accords, and it is usually
> caused by a faulty ignition system or fuel pump.

An *old* ignition system, yes. The fuel pump would not cause this.

Is there anything
> cheap that I can do to narrow down the cause to just one component?
> This is my first car, I know practically nothing about car repairing.
> Is it possible for me to do some diagnosis by myself, perhaps by
> looking at some reference book?

Clean the throttle body and EACV. Reset idle speed correctly.

Replace the plugs, wires, rotor and distributor cap. With OEM. A weak spark
can cause stalling.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 25th 05, 04:13 AM
SoCalMike

Fijoy George wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I bought a used 1991 Honda Accord DX Coupe recently, and it has been giving
> me problems. Sometimes the engine would stall while driving, and I have to
> restart the car. This happens both at signals and on the highway. It also
> sometimes would not start after parking somewhere.
>
> I gather this is a common problem with Accords, and it is usually caused by
> a faulty ignition system or fuel pump. Is there anything cheap that I can do
> to narrow down the cause to just one component? This is my first car, I know
> practically nothing about car repairing. Is it possible for me to do some
> diagnosis by myself, perhaps by looking at some reference book?

ignition switch behind the lock cylinder
main relay

its rarely the fuel pump... id swap the first 2 out just because theyre
due.