97 SC2 leak in trunk.

Old May 6th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default 97 SC2 leak in trunk.

Hello, The water is coming in from somewhere on the passenger side of
the trunk in that side well. It only gets wet when driving in the rain.
Am assuming it is getting in from the water being thrown off of the
rear wheel. That being said seems to me the seal on the outside has
failed. So the water is wicking in. It gets to the carpet and continues
to wick in. Capillary action. I cleaned the inside of the trunk where
the leak seemed to be coming in from and re-sealed what was originally
done at the factory with RTV. Hopefully this will stop the leak for
now. My concern is that the water is already into the outside seal and
will rust now.
Any ideas how do deal with this? How would one get to the source of the
outside seal leak before it gets totally rusted through?
Thanks, Dan.

Old May 17th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Well I was totally wrong on where the water was coming in from. I live
near Chigago and there has been measurable rain here, I think, every
day for the last 5 days. I pulled all of the matting away from the
trunk well and everyday there was about an inch of water there. With or
without driving. Using a watering can I was able to pinpoint where the
water was coming in from. The seal on the rear window on that side has
failed. So using a silicone sealant I sealed it back up. Hope fully
this will do the trick.

car trunk won't stay closed Strr3 Technology 2 October 24th 05 01:32 PM
Trunk Leak Tim Honda 4 April 4th 05 05:01 AM
Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors Chrysler 1 January 23rd 05 06:01 PM
Soft Touch trunk won't stay closed on 740iL BMW 0 December 29th 04 03:47 PM