What kind of maintenance for very low mileage?

Old July 14th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Default What kind of maintenance for very low mileage?

I have a Ford Explorer that I mostly use for hauling boxes over short
distances -- most things are within walking distance around here, so I
put a max of about 3,000 miles per year on the truck. (How many of you
would like to be filling up once a month right now?)

What kind of regular maintenance is appropriate for such low mileage?
An oil change every 3,000 miles would only be once a year, so I go
every 4 months or so. Is this often enough, or too often? Should I
really be waiting five years for the 15k checkups?

Old July 14th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Craig

> wrote...

>I have a Ford Explorer that I mostly use for hauling boxes over short
> distances -- most things are within walking distance around here, so I
> put a max of about 3,000 miles per year on the truck. (How many of you
> would like to be filling up once a month right now?)
>
> What kind of regular maintenance is appropriate for such low mileage?
> An oil change every 3,000 miles would only be once a year, so I go
> every 4 months or so. Is this often enough, or too often? Should I
> really be waiting five years for the 15k checkups?

You sound like me with my '96 and 121k miles. It's now a Forest Road,
hauling bigger items and bad weather vehicle and puts on about 3k per year
like yours. For what it's worth, I go with oil changes every six months and
stick with the Owner's manual mileage suggestions for other items.

I await others' responses.

Craig

Old July 14th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

I am no expert but would suggest doing maintenance sooner than
indicated in the manual (ie do not wait for the mileage mark for
check-ups, etc).

My 96 Ranger has only about 63,000 miles on it (30,000 when bought 3
yrs ago) but I have already replaced parts that you would think might
wear out more with use rather than time, such as belt tensioner, ball
joints, radius arm bushings, rebuilt transmisson (more precautionary,
it did not fail, but had a 2-3 flare that I tried fixing with new
separator plate kit, etc to no avail.). Now i seem to have driveline
play from the t-case chain AND rear end. Definitetly keep the chassis
lubed, esp if you live somewhere where they salt the roads in winter
(like where I live), and stay on top of problems are they arise.

wrote:
> On 13 Jul 2006 18:44:17 -0700, "
> > wrote:
>
> >I have a Ford Explorer that I mostly use for hauling boxes over short
> >distances -- most things are within walking distance around here, so I
> >put a max of about 3,000 miles per year on the truck. (How many of you
> >would like to be filling up once a month right now?)
> >
> >What kind of regular maintenance is appropriate for such low mileage?
> >An oil change every 3,000 miles would only be once a year, so I go
> >every 4 months or so. Is this often enough, or too often? Should I
> >really be waiting five years for the 15k checkups?

> I use Mobil One synthetic, and change it once a year, just before
> winter hits.
>
> On the rare occasion that I plan a road trip, I'll change the oil
> before that, unless it was just changed for the winter season.
>

> Alan Moorman
>
> The only reason some people get lost in thought
> is because it's unfamiliar territory.
>
> Paul Fix

Maintenance Schedule for 2006 Civic Oakparker Honda 15 October 2nd 06 04:31 AM
Maintenance suggestions Road Toad Jeep 3 February 19th 06 03:28 PM
Maintenance suggestions Road Toad Jeep 6 February 18th 06 01:25 PM
Bad Gas Mileage with 2005 330i BMW with Performance Package Kent Lewis BMW 26 December 10th 04 06:14 PM