A4 1.9 TDi SE 1998 - Front Indicator Bulb

Old December 5th 04, 04:54 PM
Graeme

Default A4 1.9 TDi SE 1998 - Front Indicator Bulb

Sadly I haven't invested in a Haynes manual (thankfully never need to until
now!) for my beloved A4 - but a front indicator bulb failed on Friday and
although I have a replacement bulb and a pretty decent set of tools, I can't
see a way to replace the bulb without taking most of the front bumper off.

There are two star-headed bolts that seem to clamp the rubber moulding
around the headlamp in place, but removing these doesn't allow me to take
the headlight out, and although I think I can just about see where the bulb
goes, my (large) hands have got bugger-all chance of getting in there.

Can anyone enlighten me ?

regards

Graeme

Old December 5th 04, 05:55 PM
Toy

"Graeme" > wrote in message
> Sadly I haven't invested in a Haynes manual (thankfully never need to
> until
> now!) for my beloved A4 - but a front indicator bulb failed on Friday and
> although I have a replacement bulb and a pretty decent set of tools, I
> can't
> see a way to replace the bulb without taking most of the front bumper off.
>
> There are two star-headed bolts that seem to clamp the rubber moulding
> around the headlamp in place, but removing these doesn't allow me to take
> the headlight out, and although I think I can just about see where the
> bulb
> goes, my (large) hands have got bugger-all chance of getting in there.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me ?
>
> regards
>
> Graeme

open bonnet, look inside behind each light, press down the 2 top clips that
retain the back moulding............hey presto there's all yer bulbies

toy

Old December 5th 04, 06:05 PM
Toy

"Toy" > wrote in message

> "Graeme" > wrote in message
>> Sadly I haven't invested in a Haynes manual (thankfully never need to
>> until
>> now!) for my beloved A4 - but a front indicator bulb failed on Friday and
>> although I have a replacement bulb and a pretty decent set of tools, I
>> can't
>> see a way to replace the bulb without taking most of the front bumper
>> off.
>>
>> There are two star-headed bolts that seem to clamp the rubber moulding
>> around the headlamp in place, but removing these doesn't allow me to take
>> the headlight out, and although I think I can just about see where the
>> bulb
>> goes, my (large) hands have got bugger-all chance of getting in there.
>>
>> Can anyone enlighten me ?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Graeme
>>

> open bonnet, look inside behind each light, press down the 2 top clips
> that retain the back moulding............hey presto there's all yer
> bulbies
>
> toy

sorry that's the main and side light,

next to this you should see the rear of the direction indicator cluster.
Using a small screwdriver pivot the locking bar rearwards then depress the
locking tab and withdraw the unit from the front of the vehicle. (Haynes
assisted for this one) I knew the main off by heart.............just done my
side light...........well it had not blown just wanted reseating.

toy

Old December 5th 04, 09:26 PM
Graeme

"Toy" > wrote in message

> "Toy" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Graeme" > wrote in message
> >> Sadly I haven't invested in a Haynes manual (thankfully never need to
> >> until
> >> now!) for my beloved A4 - but a front indicator bulb failed on Friday

and
> >> although I have a replacement bulb and a pretty decent set of tools, I
> >> can't
> >> see a way to replace the bulb without taking most of the front bumper
> >> off.
> >>
> >> There are two star-headed bolts that seem to clamp the rubber moulding
> >> around the headlamp in place, but removing these doesn't allow me to

take
> >> the headlight out, and although I think I can just about see where the
> >> bulb
> >> goes, my (large) hands have got bugger-all chance of getting in there.
> >>
> >> Can anyone enlighten me ?
> >>
> >> regards
> >>
> >> Graeme
> >>

> > open bonnet, look inside behind each light, press down the 2 top clips
> > that retain the back moulding............hey presto there's all yer
> > bulbies
> >
> > toy
> >

> sorry that's the main and side light,
>
> next to this you should see the rear of the direction indicator cluster.
> Using a small screwdriver pivot the locking bar rearwards then depress the
> locking tab and withdraw the unit from the front of the vehicle. (Haynes
> assisted for this one) I knew the main off by heart.............just done

my
> side light...........well it had not blown just wanted reseating.
>
> toy

Thanks !