Lost fish in dead of winter

Old February 12th 04, 09:55 PM
Simmons

Default Lost fish in dead of winter

I about a week ago, one of my fish came up from the bottom and started gasping at the deicer. This behavior was odd as I have never seen it in the 8 years I have had the pond. A few days later the fish was dead at the bottom. The other fish seem fine, but I am concerned as to what might be going on.

In the dead of winter is there really anything I can do anyways?

Does someone have suggestions what might have (or is) happening?

As the water starts to warm this spring, should I be overly concerned that more deaths may occur? (and is there anything I could do to stop it)??

Thanks.

Old February 12th 04, 10:07 PM
Nedra

I'll need a little more information ... it sounds like an a lack
of aeration so I'm wondering if you have an airstone bubbling
up at the surface? Is your pond ice covered? Is it open?

I would go ahead and buy an air pump (about
8 or 9 dollars) and air hose; attach this to a 12 inch airstone.
My airstones are about 6 inches down from the surface of the
pond. In this cold weather I do run the de-icer right above the
airstones.

Let us know what your set-up is.

Nedra in Missouri
zone 6

Old February 12th 04, 10:38 PM

this is typical of ponds with leaves and crap on the bottom and a lack of air being
injected into the water. if you dont have an air pump and airstones in the pond, do
it. Ingrid

"Simmons" wrote:

I about a week ago, one of my fish came up from the bottom and started gasping at the deicer. This behavior was odd as I have never seen it in the 8 years I have had the pond. A few days later the fish was dead at the bottom. The other fish seem fine, but I am concerned as to what might be going on.

In the dead of winter is there really anything I can do anyways?

Does someone have suggestions what might have (or is) happening?

As the water starts to warm this spring, should I be overly concerned that more deaths may occur? (and is there anything I could do to stop it)??

Thanks.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com