89 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 hard to start, PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Old June 15th 05, 05:35 AM
Ty78

Default 89 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 hard to start, PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I don’t know much about cars, so please be patient with me , and
please help. My 89 jeep cherokee 4.0 4x4 just statrted taking about
30 seconds to start. It cranks fine, and fast, btu it takes a while
to start, and when it does, it kind of sputters, and then it runs
perfect. If I turn it off, and immediatly restart it it will start
just fine, like it always has, but if i let it set for over 30 seconds
and restart it, it is again hard to start. In the past 6 months I
have replaced the plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, starter, fuel pump,
cadaledit converter (spelled wrong), and exhust. What could this
possibly be? Like I said it runs fine, after it starts. I really
appriciate any and all help!!! THANK YOU

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/4X4-89-Jee...ict124604.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=606678
Old June 17th 05, 05:43 AM
Carl Saiyed

Ask over in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys about cleaning the crank position
sensor connections, throttle body, ect. Are the spark plugs OK? When was the
last time you had it tuned up?

Carl

news:1_606678_fec7d002a5029ac4b308aae362008791@aut oforumz.com...

Old June 19th 05, 07:36 AM
Ty78

"Carl Saiyed3" wrote:
> Ask over in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys about cleaning the
> crank position
> sensor connections, throttle body, ect. Are the spark plugs
> OK? When was the
> last time you had it tuned up?
>
> Carl
>
> "Ty78" > wrote in message
> news:1_606678_fec7d002a5029ac4b308aae362008791@aut oforumz.com...
> > I don't know much about cars, so please be patient with me ,

> and
> > please help. My 89 jeep cherokee 4.0 4x4 just statrted

> taking about
> > 30 seconds to start. It cranks fine, and fast, btu it takes

> a while
> > to start, and when it does, it kind of sputters, and then it

> runs
> > perfect. If I turn it off, and immediatly restart it it

> will start
> > just fine, like it always has, but if i let it set for over

> 30 seconds
> > and restart it, it is again hard to start. In the past 6

> months I
> > have replaced the plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, starter,

> fuel pump,
> > cadaledit converter (spelled wrong), and exhust. What

> could this
> > possibly be? Like I said it runs fine, after it starts. I

> really
> > appriciate any and all help!!! THANK YOU
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request

> standards
> > Topic URL:

> http://www.autoforumz.com/4X4-89-Jee...ict124604.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report

> abuse:
> http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=606678

Hi, thanks for the response! The plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are
all less than 3 months old, it also has a brand new starter, water
pump, cateletic converter, fuel filter, air filter, within the last 4
months.... I just passed emmisions testing today with flying colors
(exept I had to buy a new gas cap), so doesnt that rule out a few
possible sensors?? Thanks again... And please explain where you
told me to ask??
Thanks
Old June 19th 05, 07:36 AM
SnoMan

"Ty78" wrote:
>I don’t know much about cars, so please be patient with me , and
>please help. My 89 jeep cherokee 4.0 4x4 just statrted taking about
>30 seconds to start. It cranks fine, and fast, btu it takes a while
>to start, and when it does, it kind of sputters, and then it runs
>perfect. If I turn it off, and immediatly restart it it will start
>just fine, like it always has, but if i let it set for over 30

seconds
>and restart it, it is again hard to start. In the past 6 months I
>have replaced the plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, starter, fuel pump,
>cadaledit converter (spelled wrong), and exhust. What could this
>possibly be? Like I said it runs fine, after it starts. I really
>appriciate any and all help!!! THANK YOU

You might check the fuel line from tank for a pin hole that lets pump
lose prime and lets air suck in with fuel and takes a while to prime
up explaining the rough running when it first starts and fine
performance otherwise. If there is a leak it will be closer to engine
than tank I think but check all of it.
Old June 20th 05, 02:45 AM
Carl Saiyed

another usenet group called rec.autots.makes.jeep+willys.

Carl

news:1_609015_7dc209a9132308ccdf0e6a42606142df@aut oforumz.com...

Old June 26th 05, 04:32 AM
bigtee62

I had the same problem with 2 of my jeeps both 4.0 both 1989 I replaces
crankcase postion sensor in both no problems after theat

Old July 2nd 05, 04:35 AM
timcole

"" wrote:
> I had the same problem with 2 of my jeeps both 4.0 both 1989 I
> replaces
> crankcase postion sensor in both no problems after theat

Is this the same as the Throttle Position Sensor?

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/4X4-89-Jee...ict124604.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=618280
Old July 2nd 05, 04:35 AM
timcole

"Ty78" wrote:
> I don't know much about cars, so please be patient with me ,
> and please help. My 89 jeep cherokee 4.0 4x4 just statrted
> taking about 30 seconds to start. It cranks fine, and fast,
> btu it takes a while to start, and when it does, it kind of
> sputters, and then it runs perfect. If I turn it off, and
> immediatly restart it it will start just fine, like it always
> has, but if i let it set for over 30 seconds and restart it,
> it is again hard to start. In the past 6 months I have
> replaced the plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, starter, fuel
> pump, cadaledit converter (spelled wrong), and exhust. What
> could this possibly be? Like I said it runs fine, after it
> starts. I really appriciate any and all help!!! THANK
> YOU[b:f0c179ca4f][/b:f0c179ca4f]

Hey - me too! Not only that, but the engine misses erratically, maybe
two cylinders! Started a few months ago -- 118,000+ miles -- before
that, it ran fine.
I have replaced plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter,
and fuel injector o-rings; I’ve blown out or cleaned the CCV line,
the Throttle Barrel, the TPS (and readjusted it according to specs),
and the IAS.
What I do have wrong: I can’t get the o-rings to seal on Fuel
Injector #3; I might have a fuel pressure problem (don’t have a
gauge).
Not only does it miss and squirt gas out of the Injector seal, but it
dies when I take my foot off the accelerator (it won’t idle any more
without stalling); it stinks something fierce on the road and attracts
a lot of attention; hesitates on acceleration from a stop, but
occasionally runs fairly decent, especially from cold.
A few months ago, this thing beat a lot of people from the light
(maybe I did that too often . . .). I’m retired and lost half my
pension and all my benefits and life insurance -- still have a
mortgage. I have a summer job inspecting corn fields and need my Jeep
for that (gets hilly, and slippery under the irrigators).
Old July 2nd 05, 06:16 AM
Will Honea

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 03:35:52 UTC timcole >
wrote:

> "Ty78" wrote:
> > I don't know much about cars, so please be patient with me ,
> > and please help. My 89 jeep cherokee 4.0 4x4 just statrted
> > taking about 30 seconds to start. It cranks fine, and fast,
> > btu it takes a while to start, and when it does, it kind of
> > sputters, and then it runs perfect. If I turn it off, and
> > immediatly restart it it will start just fine, like it always
> > has, but if i let it set for over 30 seconds and restart it,
> > it is again hard to start. In the past 6 months I have
> > replaced the plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, starter, fuel
> > pump, cadaledit converter (spelled wrong), and exhust. What
> > could this possibly be? Like I said it runs fine, after it
> > starts. I really appriciate any and all help!!! THANK
> > YOU[b:f0c179ca4f][/b:f0c179ca4f]

> Hey - me too! Not only that, but the engine misses erratically, maybe
> two cylinders! Started a few months ago -- 118,000+ miles -- before
> that, it ran fine.
> I have replaced plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter,
> and fuel injector o-rings; IÆve blown out or cleaned the CCV line,
> the Throttle Barrel, the TPS (and readjusted it according to specs),
> and the IAS.
> What I do have wrong: I canÆt get the o-rings to seal on Fuel
> Injector #3; I might have a fuel pressure problem (donÆt have a
> gauge).
> Not only does it miss and squirt gas out of the Injector seal, but it
> dies when I take my foot off the accelerator (it wonÆt idle any more
> without stalling); it stinks something fierce on the road and attracts
> a lot of attention; hesitates on acceleration from a stop, but
> occasionally runs fairly decent, especially from cold.
> A few months ago, this thing beat a lot of people from the light
> (maybe I did that too often . . .). IÆm retired and lost half my
> pension and all my benefits and life insurance -- still have a
> mortgage. I have a summer job inspecting corn fields and need my Jeep
> for that (gets hilly, and slippery under the irrigators).

Tim, the problem is that the leaking injector seal lets the pressure
drop - you would see this immediately with a fuel pressure guage. Fix
the injector seal! Open the hood and look where the fuel from that
injector is going: straight down onto the exhaust. Are you sure the
leak is from the o-ring on the rail? Both of the ones I've replaced
were actually leaking around the electrical plug. For the first, the
cure is new o-rings (careful, some kits have two sizes and
compositions so put the right ones on the right end). FIX THE LEAK!
It's a fiew waiting to happen.

Ty, yours sounds like a fuel pressure problem as well but since you
don't see a leak it's more likely to be bleeding off pressure back to
the tank. You have a pressure regulator on the forward end of the
fuel rail that will do this if the regualtor is shot and leaking
through. Try this: turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump to
run (don't go all the way to the starter position). When it stops
running, turn the key off then turn it back on to cycle the fuel pump
again. Do this several times then try to start the engine. If it
catches fairly quickly, then it's likely a pressure problem. To be
sure, do the key cycle thing a couple of times then turn it off and
press the center pin in the schroeder valve (oversized tire valve)
near the front of the fuel rail. Hold a rag to catch any gas. You
should get a decent spray even after waiting 5-10 minutes - mine holds
a noticable pressure overnight. If it just dribbles out, then you
know it's fuel pressure. Since you've changed the pump, it's most
likely the regulator but there is a test for that so write back when
you try the above steps. It could also be losing pressure through an
injector leaking into the manifold so a couple more tests migh be
needed. BTW, the 87-89 4.0 used a Renix fuel control computer and it
takes relatively long to fire up cold under any circumstances (about
one full turn of the engine). 30 seconds is way too long, but 5-6
seconds is not that unusual. The later MOPAR models catch right away.

For both of you, a fuel pressure guage is $12 - $18 bucks at the local
Advanced Auto or Auto Zone. Worth the price is savings on unnecessary
parts and agravation

--
Will Honea
Old July 2nd 05, 07:21 PM
extremetjs

"timcole" > wrote in message
news:1_618280_0683d7307327ef9d08262ea2dcc634b5@aut oforumz.com...
> "" wrote:
> > I had the same problem with 2 of my jeeps both 4.0 both 1989 I
> > replaces
> > crankcase postion sensor in both no problems after theat

> Is this the same as the Throttle Position Sensor?
>
> --

no they are 2 diffrent sensors

LRO