acura rl engine revs when stopping!

Old August 25th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
r bewer

Default acura rl engine revs when stopping!

just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. when i'm coming to a
stop either at a red light or a parking space, the brake pedal seems to
get a little hard and the engine revs like i've got the accelerator to
the floor. it feels like it wants to take off! and all the time i have
my foot on the brake, not the accelerator. it happens when i'm about
10-15 ft from stopping. nothing is touching the accellerator pedal to
cause this. i slowly shift it to park and then shut it off. if does jerk
a bit as i shift it while it's revving. someone suggested a vacuum
issue? anyone else have this happen to them?

'96 rl premium
Old August 25th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad[_1_]

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 23:23:46 -0500, r bewer > wrote:

>just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. when i'm coming to a
>stop either at a red light or a parking space, the brake pedal seems to
>get a little hard and the engine revs like i've got the accelerator to
>the floor. it feels like it wants to take off! and all the time i have
>my foot on the brake, not the accelerator. it happens when i'm about
>10-15 ft from stopping. nothing is touching the accellerator pedal to
>cause this. i slowly shift it to park and then shut it off. if does jerk
>a bit as i shift it while it's revving. someone suggested a vacuum
>issue? anyone else have this happen to them?

>'96 rl premium

Keep in mind that if you have an automatic transmission, you're going to
destroy the torque converter if you keep driving that car without the wild
idle fixed.
Old August 26th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
« Paul »[_1_]

r bewer wrote:

> just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. when i'm coming to a
> stop either at a red light or a parking space, the brake pedal seems to
> get a little hard and the engine revs like i've got the accelerator to
> the floor. it feels like it wants to take off! and all the time i have
> my foot on the brake, not the accelerator. it happens when i'm about
> 10-15 ft from stopping. nothing is touching the accellerator pedal to
> cause this. i slowly shift it to park and then shut it off. if does jerk
> a bit as i shift it while it's revving. someone suggested a vacuum
> issue? anyone else have this happen to them?
>
> '96 rl premium

Have the brake booster checked.
Old August 26th 06, 08:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_31_]

r bewer Wrote:
> just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. when i'm coming to a
> stop either at a red light or a parking space, the brake pedal seems to
> get a little hard and the engine revs like i've got the accelerator to
> the floor. it feels like it wants to take off! and all the time i have
> my foot on the brake, not the accelerator. it happens when i'm about
> 10-15 ft from stopping. nothing is touching the accellerator pedal to
> cause this. i slowly shift it to park and then shut it off. if does
> jerk
> a bit as i shift it while it's revving. someone suggested a vacuum
> issue? anyone else have this happen to them?
>
> '96 rl premium

I'll concurr, you have a vacuum leak in the brake booster's vacuum
circuit, or something tee'd off the same line....the wild revving is
the ECM commanding a higher idle to deal with the excess air it's not
expecting...

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old August 26th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
oceangoing

"r bewer" > wrote in message
.. .
> just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. when i'm coming to a
> stop either at a red light or a parking space, the brake pedal seems to
> get a little hard and the engine revs like i've got the accelerator to the
> floor. it feels like it wants to take off! and all the time i have my foot
> on the brake, not the accelerator. it happens when i'm about 10-15 ft from
> stopping. nothing is touching the accellerator pedal to cause this. i
> slowly shift it to park and then shut it off. if does jerk a bit as i
> shift it while it's revving. someone suggested a vacuum issue? anyone else
> have this happen to them?
>
> '96 rl premium

I had this once - turned out to be a bad ground wire at the computer. There
were other symptoms also - temp guage was erratic.

Old August 28th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
r bewer

the dealer mechanic said this could not happen, because of a limiter.

Old August 28th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_2_]

r bewer wrote:
> the dealer mechanic said this could not happen, because of a limiter.
>

> > Keep in mind that if you have an automatic transmission, you're going to
> > destroy the torque converter if you keep driving that car without the

> wild
> > idle fixed.

> AZ Nomad wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 23:23:46 -0500, r bewer > wrote:
>>

>>> just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. when i'm coming
>>> to a stop either at a red light or a parking space, the brake pedal
>>> seems to get a little hard and the engine revs like i've got the
>>> accelerator to the floor. it feels like it wants to take off! and all
>>> the time i have my foot on the brake, not the accelerator. it happens
>>> when i'm about 10-15 ft from stopping. nothing is touching the
>>> accellerator pedal to cause this. i slowly shift it to park and then
>>> shut it off. if does jerk a bit as i shift it while it's revving.
>>> someone suggested a vacuum issue? anyone else have this happen to them?

>>> '96 rl premium

And this "dealer mechanic" couldn't fix it?

YES IT WILL DAMAGE THE TRANS. The sudden shock of the trans engaging has
nasty side effects, damaged input shafts, splines sheared off the pump
drive, damage to the differential or axles as well. Ever seen a
transmission/axle fail during a drag race, that was due to instant shock

With a hard brake pedal and high idle I would say the vacuum line to the
brake booster is split or disconnected. Could also be that the vacuum
diaphragm in the booster has failed

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!