timing

Old August 14th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default timing

Hello, i have a 1968 ford 302 and i'm having a little trouble with the
timing. First of all, the engine was recently rebuilt and i just got it
running. I cant get it to run well unless it is about 30 degrees
advance, where it pulls about 15 inches of vacum. According to the cam
manufacture it should be about 10-14 degrees advance. When i hvae it at
10-14 degreese, it starts a lot harder and idles very roughly and will
stall if i dont give it gas frequently. It only pulls about 5 inches of
vacume. The cam is pretty mild, its a comp cams high energy with .456
inches of lift and 268 degrees of advertised duration. what could the
problem be? any ideas?

Old August 14th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

> Hello, i have a 1968 ford 302 and i'm having a little trouble with the
> timing. First of all, the engine was recently rebuilt and i just got it
> running. I cant get it to run well unless it is about 30 degrees
> advance, where it pulls about 15 inches of vacum. According to the cam

Sounds like the timing chain is off by a tooth.

Chris

Old August 14th 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ted Mittelstaedt

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> > Hello, i have a 1968 ford 302 and i'm having a little trouble with the
> > timing. First of all, the engine was recently rebuilt and i just got it
> > running. I cant get it to run well unless it is about 30 degrees
> > advance, where it pulls about 15 inches of vacum. According to the cam

> Sounds like the timing chain is off by a tooth.

I hope when they rebuilt it they put in steel cam chain sprockets, the
OEM ones were nylon-coated aluminum and were total crap.

Ted

Old August 14th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
2ofdem

lugnut wrote:
> You should be setting the timing with the vacuum line(s)
> disconnected and plugged. IIRC, yous may have a dual
> diaphragm advancer which I would lose if it is not a
> concours resto. If the timing is off that far with the
> lines disconnected, I would suspect that the outer ring of
> the damper has slipped, the damper is wrong for the engine
> or you have the wrong pointer installed. Also, make sure
> you are setting the timing from the #1 plug. On a Ford this
> is the front passenger side. I suspect you know this but
> some from the SBC camp do not. The cam you have is fairly
> mild and usually gives a decent idle.
>
> Lugnut

Damper would be my guess also seen it happen a few times on 302s.

Timing way off - replacement engine in '93 Accord KWW Honda 6 January 9th 06 09:29 PM
Timing 80 degrees off?!? Drink Jeep 13 January 3rd 06 10:15 PM
Ignition Timing: How Automated? Elle Honda 2 December 14th 05 04:06 AM
Mk2 Digifant 1 Timing gurus...need help Matt B. VW water cooled 6 November 30th 05 03:28 AM
1996 Caravan - 3.0L Timing belt replacement aarcuda69062 Dodge 0 November 17th 05 11:10 AM