91 Accord can't shift out of park

Old January 21st 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default 91 Accord can't shift out of park

I have a 91 Accord LX that can't shift out of park unless I use the
key to manually release the shift lock.

The problem all started when I left my lights on one day and had to
have the car jumped. When I went to start it, the dash lights started
flickering on/off rapidly, and the shift lock was locking/unlocking
quickly (it also sounded like something was shorting out near the
pedals, and smelled like burned electronics afterwards for a couple
days).

The brake lights still work (all three), and cruise control is
disengaged when I press the brake pedal. However, the accel/decel
functions no longer work on the cruise control.

Does anybody here have any idea what could be causing this? I would
love to be able to fix this myself and save the labor costs of taking
it to the dealer. Thanks in advance.
Old January 22nd 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TE Chea

|I have a 91 Accord LX that can't shift out of park unless I use the
| key to manually release the shift lock.

Neither can my SM4's gear*lever, if engine is off. Only when
engine is on, & brake pedal pressed down, can * move out of
park.

| I left my lights on one day
Didn't a beep come on, when driver opened door ?

| have the car jumped.
Engine jump started ? Bad vocab.

Old January 25th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

Replace the battery, it is probably toast. When the battery looses its
filtering capacity there is a lot of electrical noise on the electrical
system which causes all kinds of problems. Jumpering cars today is dangerous
and can wipe out the electronics. When the battery is discharged you should
connect a charger and charge the battery all the way before starting the
car.