New Veriable Speed transmission

Old October 25th 06, 08:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

Default New Veriable Speed transmission

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:26:55 -0400, "Dave Gower"
> wrote:

>"Some O" > wrote
>
>> They definitely will take over the automatic market, but they should be
>> lower cost than the geared 5/6sp automatics.

>I also wonder if a version stripped of its automatic control circuitry could
>replace conventional manuals. They would have far fewer parts, and be much
>easier to learn to drive (no need to clutch when shifting, for example). <snip>

Brilliant idea...so the driver, instead of shifting 4 times during
acceleration, would keep one hand on a control lever ALL the time to
adjust the belt position while watching the tach, right?

Why not call GM with this idea? They're so stupid, they'd buy
anything!
Old October 25th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country[_5_]

Default TROLL ALERT: "DESERTBOB"

DESERTBOB (not its real name) is a troll.
It regularly frequents at least twenty news groups,
including many rabid/sex/racist/liberal idiot/wannabee mechanic groups.

Normally, it starts off with reasonable, even witty lines,
but rapidly drifts into lies, abuse and stupidity.
Check its details at Google Groups at this URL:

http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...Te82ZIng&hl=en

See it's pathetic picture and myspace page at this URL- as it searches
for companionship at age 50- looks like a quart of oil for the car in
that hair...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...did=303 21125

It had 2 Ebay usernames, both banned due to abuse, auction
interference, and harassment- they were VOXPOPPER and XCALIBER44- see
them here- search history of VOXPOPPER to see how it left (8) negative
feedbacks for a seller, for items that cost only a penny each !

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...erid=voxpopper

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...rid=xcaliber44

It is a sad creature, deserving of pity, not anger.
Any direct response simply feeds it,
but it will go away if you ignore it.

Old October 26th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bret Ludwig

DeserTBoB wrote:
<<snip>>
> >I also wonder if a version stripped of its automatic control circuitry could
> >replace conventional manuals. They would have far fewer parts, and be much
> >easier to learn to drive (no need to clutch when shifting, for example). <snip>

> Brilliant idea...so the driver, instead of shifting 4 times during
> acceleration, would keep one hand on a control lever ALL the time to
> adjust the belt position while watching the tach, right?
>
> Why not call GM with this idea? They're so stupid, they'd buy
> anything!

The aircraft industry has been that stupid since the late 30s. See
"constant speed propeller".

Old October 26th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 25 Oct 2006 16:45:24 -0700, "Bret Ludwig" >
wrote:

> The aircraft industry has been that stupid since the late 30s. See
>"constant speed propeller". <snip>

CSPs were/are hardly the same thing. Prop speed is a constant; a road
vehicle's load and speed changes almost infinitely.
Old October 26th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dave Gower

"Bret Ludwig" > wrote

> The aircraft industry has been that stupid since the late 30s. See
> "constant speed propeller".

Like most people here, I've killfiled this Desert Bob creep, but this
exchange highlights just how practical a manual-only CVT might be. In fact
they do exist. There are several CVT autosticks for sale, including
top-level Calibers and Compasses. They use a 6 -speed fixed detent system
(more in some systems), so they shift sequentially like paddle-shifts in
expensive supercars. I suppose one could also allow the driver to program in
the position and number of preset "gears".

Another possibility I've seen mentioned is more detents (say 15 or more) but
set it up so that the driver can slide a shifter over more than one click,
thereby determining how big a gap he wants between the "gears".

Old October 26th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

DeserTBoB wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2006 16:45:24 -0700, "Bret Ludwig" >
> wrote:
>

>>The aircraft industry has been that stupid since the late 30s. See
>>"constant speed propeller". <snip>

> CSPs were/are hardly the same thing. Prop speed is a constant

Not really- prop speed is under PILOT CONTROL, not truly "constant".
Most airplanes with "constant speed" propellors have two power levers
instead of just a throttle- one lever is the prop control, which sets
RPM. The other lever is the throttle. The pilot can set the prop speed
to where he wants it and independently control engine torque with the
throttle, and also increase prop speed (for more power, or actually more
"thrust") or decrease it (for more fuel efficiency) at will. What the
pilot does NOT control directly is the actual pitch of the prop blades-
the prop governor controls that based on the selected prop speed, the
throttle (torque applied to the prop) and also airplane speed (the speed
of the air hitting the prop affects where the pitch has to be set to
maintain a constant RPM.

I also was thinking that a CVT with a manual control lever would be
almost exactly like flying an airplane with prop control. Really cool
(for 5 minutes) then a PITA after that :-)

Old August 12th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
phreaq

First I am amassed at the wealth of information here about CVT's, I had
no idea so many of them were used on cars back then.

My only 2 cents: I belive the Saturn Vue AWD V6 came with a CVT

--
phreaq
phreaq's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=421753

http://www.automotiveforums.com