How to **** Off an Arrogant Pedalcyclist

Old May 18th 05, 12:05 AM
Jim Yanik

(Brent P) wrote in
:

> In article >, Matthew Russotto
> wrote:
>
>> Two words: Critical Mass.

> The counterparts to you, yanik, and galt.
>
> They want cars off the road, you want bicycles off the road.

Autos pay for the roads,bikes do not.
Autos move more commerce than bikes,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 18th 05, 01:09 AM
Bill Sornson

Jim Yanik wrote:

> WRONG;Jim Yanik did NOT say this,somebody else did.

Psst, Jim. Your spacebar called. It wants to be used once in a while.

Old May 18th 05, 02:07 AM
Zoot Katz

17 May 2005 23:05:08 GMT,
.>demonstrated its stupidity with this bull****:

>Autos pay for the roads,bikes do not.

Everybody pays for the roads.
Autos destroy the roads. Bikes do not.

>Autos move more commerce than bikes,too.

Autos require subsides to offset their negative externalities.

Get your ugly stinking lethal scud off my road, scum.
--
zk
Old May 18th 05, 03:33 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"Zoot Katz" > wrote in message ...
> 17 May 2005 23:05:08 GMT,
> >, scud slave, Jim Yanik
> .>demonstrated its stupidity with this bull****:

I wouldn't care too much about what nobodies like Yankit have to say.
This is what happens when some dork cross posts to loser newsgroups
like autos.driving.

Old May 18th 05, 03:36 AM

Jim Yanik wrote:

> Have a car smack into a bicyclist at speeds 25mph or over and the

cyclist
> loses every time. Smack an import into a big SUV or the reverse at 25

mph
> and the people almost always survive ,often with few injuries.Even

with a
> helmet,the cyclist is vulnerable to head/neck injuries that any auto
> occupant will not get.

Jim, you may not know that in the US, the greatest source of head
injury fatalities by FAR is riding in a motor vehicle. It causes
roughly 50% of those fatlities. Falls around the home account for
about 40%. Cycling accidents cause considerably less than 1%.

And it's not just that more hours are spent in cars. On a per-hour
basis, riding in a car and riding a bike are about equal in fatal head
injury risk. Incidentally, walking near traffic is even worse - mostly
because of road zombies mowing people down in crosswalks.

Most people - especially enthusiastic motorists - like to pretend that
driving is extremely safe, and cycling is extremely dangerous regarding
accidental deaths. But that's absolutely wrong. See
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetyS...SafetyQuiz.htm

Next time you drive through an intersection on a green light, think
about what happens when a larger vehicle runs the red from the left.
Think about your head and that hard door frame, hard roof, hard window
glass. Yeah, it doesn't happen all that often - just often enough to
make it number one.

> Any honest cyclist will acknowledge their vulnerability.

An honest motorist would do the same.

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 18th 05, 03:50 AM
Bob

Jim Yanik wrote:

> Autos pay for the roads,bikes do not.
> Autos move more commerce than bikes,too.

No, all taxpayers pay for the roads. The day that fuel taxes become the
sole or even primary source of revenue for road construction and
maintenance will be the day that construction and maintenance ceases.
Autos move commerce? That explains all those Mustangs hauling machine
parts to the local Ford assembly plant.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old May 18th 05, 03:55 AM
John David Galt

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Matthew Russotto wrote:
>

>>Two words: Critical Mass.

> The counterparts to you, yanik, and galt.
>
> They want cars off the road, you want bicycles off the road.

Not at all. I just expect everyone on the road to obey the rules as
accepted by the majority, including "never delay faster traffic
needlessly" which unfortunately is not the law in most places yet.
Old May 18th 05, 04:14 AM
Bob

fbloogyudsr wrote:
> "Bob" > wrote
> > No, the real point is that you are making the assumptions that:
> > 1) bicyclists cause other traffic to slow (something I've rarely
> > witnessed) and

> Your anectdotal evidence is negated by my anectdotal evidence
> on SR 900 and May Valley Road (near Issaquah, WA near Seattle);
> both designated bike routes. However, neither of these two-lane
> 40mph roads have adequate shoulders, and traffic slows until
> there is room to pass. Every Day.
>
> FloydR

I made a parenthetical comment that I've rarely seen cyclists cause any
real traffic slowdowns. It was never meant as anecdotal evidence but
I'll stand by my comment. The only times I've seen cyclists cause more
than an inconsequential delay have been Critical Mass rides and large
(1000+ riders) organized rides that had the blessing of the local DOT.
I don't count either of those as simply being cyclists anymore than I
count a demonstration or parade as "pedestrians".
Since you are claiming anecdotal evidence that bicycles *do* cause
traffic slowdowns, please quantify those slowdowns. Does a trip on one
of those roads you mention take 10% longer because of the bicycles?
20%? Do they cause travel times to increase more than say mass transit
or school buses? I'd be amazed if they do and if not, should we build
separate roadways for buses so drivers of private autos aren't impeded
by their frequent stops?

Regards,
Bob Hunt