Explorer Sport - boots deteriorated on ball joints

Old December 1st 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jean[_2_]

Default Explorer Sport - boots deteriorated on ball joints

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport (i.e., the 2-door version). I took the vehicle
to the dealership this weekend for some recall work, and the mechanics
showed me the boots on the ball joints -all 4 are totally deteriorated. The
vehicle only has 24K miles on it, so the problem is aging. Despite the
boots being shot, the ball joints are fine.

I don't want to spend the quoted $800 for replacing all four ball joints
and an additional $100 for an alignment. Is there some way to replace the
boots without having to disassemble/replace the ball joints? If I have to
bite the bullet and replace all the ball joints, is there a brand out there
that will last longer than the 7 years that the Ford versions lasted?

Old December 2nd 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Vic Klein

I needed to replace the CV joint boots on an older Ford Taurus and found
split boots for sale through JC Whitney. They come with grease, clamps, and
glue and you assemble them around the joint without having to pull the axle.
Really not hard at all and they lasted for many years until the car got
wrecked.

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA

net...

Old December 2nd 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jean[_2_]

Thanks for the info - the slit boots sound like a workable plan. Do you
have to disassemble anything on the vehicle to install these?

news | I needed to replace the CV joint boots on an older Ford Taurus and found

Old December 2nd 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jean[_2_]

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
| On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 16:14:46 -0500, "Jean" > wrote:
|
| >I have a 2001 Explorer Sport (i.e., the 2-door version). I took the
vehicle
| >to the dealership this weekend for some recall work, and the mechanics
| >showed me the boots on the ball joints -all 4 are totally deteriorated.
The
| >vehicle only has 24K miles on it, so the problem is aging. Despite the
| >boots being shot, the ball joints are fine.
| >
| >I don't want to spend the quoted $800 for replacing all four ball joints
| >and an additional $100 for an alignment. Is there some way to replace
the
| >boots without having to disassemble/replace the ball joints? If I have
| >bite the bullet and replace all the ball joints, is there a brand out
there
| >that will last longer than the 7 years that the Ford versions lasted?
|

| Depending on just how bad they are I would probably try and slather
| silicone seal or something similar on whatever remains of the boots.

Unfortunately, the boots are pretty shot ...it looked like chunks of rubber
were missing.

Old December 5th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Vic Klein

Nothing to disassemble on the Taurus we did, just remove the old boot and
clamps. It went pretty easily and the replacement split boots lasted for
years afterwards.

=Vic=

net...

Old December 5th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jean[_2_]

I've searched the net and contacted a couple auto stores - no one has any
split boots for the ball joints. Given a little cutting and customization,
would the split boot for the cv joint work for the ball joint as well?

Jean

"Vic Klein" > wrote in message
| Nothing to disassemble on the Taurus we did, just remove the old boot and
| clamps. It went pretty easily and the replacement split boots lasted for
| years afterwards.
|
| =Vic=
|
| "Jean" > wrote in message
| net...
| > Thanks for the info - the slit boots sound like a workable plan. Do you
| > have to disassemble anything on the vehicle to install these?
| >

| > "Vic Klein" > wrote in message
| > news | > | I needed to replace the CV joint boots on an older Ford Taurus and
found
| > | split boots for sale through JC Whitney. They come with grease,
clamps,
| > and
| > | glue and you assemble them around the joint without having to pull
the
| > axle.
| > | Really not hard at all and they lasted for many years until the car
got
| > | wrecked.
| > |
| > | =Vic=
| > | Bear Gap, PA
| > |
| > | "Jean" > wrote in message
| > | net...
| > vehicle
| > deteriorated.

| > joints
| > the

| > |
| > |

Old December 6th 08, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jean[_2_]

But I can't find a source (internet or local) that has generic ball joint
boots ....that's the problem. So I'll have to come up with a kluge.

Jean

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
| the CV joint boots I've seen a huge compared to the side of typical
| ball joint boots. I think you can buy new, generic ball joint boots.
| You could cut them along one side and slip them over and glue it back
| together with weather strip cement. just don't get grease on the
| mating surface. Unlike cv joints, there are no large forces on the
| ball joint boots so a decent glue joint should hold. I'm guessing
| your ball joints are not greasable so you won't have grease pressure
| from a lube job splitting the seam open.
|

| On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:58:41 -0500, "Jean" > wrote:
|
| >I've searched the net and contacted a couple auto stores - no one has
any
| >split boots for the ball joints. Given a little cutting and
customization,
| >would the split boot for the cv joint work for the ball joint as well?
| >
| >Jean
| >

| >"Vic Klein" > wrote in message
| .. .
| >| Nothing to disassemble on the Taurus we did, just remove the old boot
and
| >| clamps. It went pretty easily and the replacement split boots lasted
for
| >| years afterwards.
| >|
| >| =Vic=
| >|
| >| "Jean" > wrote in message
| >| net...

| >found
| >clamps,
| >the
| >got
| >| > |
| >| > |
| >mechanics
Despite
| >the

| >replace
| >have
| >out
| >lasted?

| >| > |
| >| > |

| >|
| >|

Old December 7th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Many years ago, tie rod and ball joint boots were available separately... If
you check with aftermarket suppliers.... Moog, TRW, McQuay-Norris.... you
may get lucky but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If worse comes to worst... simply allow the ball joints to finish out
whatever life span they may have left.... As long as the joints aren't worn
to the point of being unsafe... as long as they aren't stiff to the point of
no returnabilty... there is no concern that needs to be dealt with today.

I will suggest putting money aside for the repair that you know is
coming.... but, unless there is a safety concern, I wouldn't get into a
panic....

net...

Old December 7th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jean[_2_]

Your advice pretty much echoes what my brother told me. My only concern is
that I'd like to prolong the life of the joints, if I can do it fairly
cheaply. If I can't do it for a few dollars, I'll just do as you say.
Thanks.

Jean

Old December 7th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jean[_2_]

Thanks for the links - I'll check them out!

Jean

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message

http://www.classicchevy.com/product....1828&cm_mmc=Fr
oogle-_-Suspension%2C+Chassis+%26+Steering+-+Steering+-+ALL-_-21-234-_-X

| has ones for chevies.
|
| and this place

http://www.innerauto.com/store/index...t=ball+joint+b
oot&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matc hallpartial&N=1616+429496
5373&Nty=1

| has some for fords and other cars
|

| On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 10:29:02 -0500, "Jean" > wrote:
|
| >But I can't find a source (internet or local) that has generic ball
joint
| >boots ....that's the problem. So I'll have to come up with a kluge.
| >
| >Jean
| >

| >"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
| .. .
| >| the CV joint boots I've seen a huge compared to the side of typical
| >| ball joint boots. I think you can buy new, generic ball joint boots.
| >| You could cut them along one side and slip them over and glue it back
| >| together with weather strip cement. just don't get grease on the
| >| mating surface. Unlike cv joints, there are no large forces on the
| >| ball joint boots so a decent glue joint should hold. I'm guessing
| >| your ball joints are not greasable so you won't have grease pressure
| >| from a lube job splitting the seam open.
| >|
| >|
| >| On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:58:41 -0500, "Jean" > wrote:
| >|
| >any
| >customization,

| >| .. .
| >and
| >for
| >| >|
| >| >|
Do
| >you

| >car
| >| >| > |
| >| >| > |
| >the
| >Despite

| >ball
If
| >brand

| >| >|
| >| >|

u-joints and ball joints on 93 cherokee sport breton Jeep 14 April 27th 07 11:58 PM
Now the ball joints... .. . rdoc VW air cooled 1 July 23rd 06 12:04 AM
Where to get "split" boots to go over CV Joints ? Courtney Thomas Audi 7 August 11th 05 08:30 PM
Ball Joints 01 TJ Troy Jeep 10 May 17th 05 04:14 AM
Upper and Lower ball joints in 2000 explorer frank27603 Ford Explorer 0 January 4th 05 03:09 AM