Snow Chains not allowed? WTF?

Old December 31st 04, 09:06 PM
Jason G

Default Snow Chains not allowed? WTF?

I'm heading up to ski on Monday, and was going to go pick up some snow chains
for the 330Cic.

I look in my manual, and it first discusses how I should only by overpriced
"official BMW" chains from the dealer, blah blah blah fine whatever.

Then is says:

"You cannot mount snow chains on the following tires:
255/35 R 18
225/40 R 18
"

Which are my tires! Why can't I use low-profile cables like I have on every
other car I've ever owned? Is this an overprotective liability disclaimer, or a
true "you will ruin your car and be stranded" prohibition?

Help! I leave in two days for Mammoth Mountain!

--
Jason G
"This isn't a matter of being tolerant;
Old December 31st 04, 09:43 PM
Tom Allen

Jason G wrote:

> I'm heading up to ski on Monday, and was going to go pick up some snow chains
> for the 330Cic.
>
> I look in my manual, and it first discusses how I should only by overpriced
> "official BMW" chains from the dealer, blah blah blah fine whatever.
>
> Then is says:
>
> "You cannot mount snow chains on the following tires:
> 255/35 R 18
> 225/40 R 18
> "
>
> Which are my tires! Why can't I use low-profile cables like I have on every
> other car I've ever owned? Is this an overprotective liability disclaimer, or a
> true "you will ruin your car and be stranded" prohibition?
>
> Help! I leave in two days for Mammoth Mountain!

Jason,

My thoughts would be the following:

Can you find chains that will fit those size tires?
With all the plastic in and around your wheel wells, if part
of a "chain" breaks off and starts flapping around in your
wheel well, you'll chew up the plastic real quick. Probably
your biggest worry.
Can the low-profile cables be mounted with your wheels?
Don't ruin them.

My advice (and I assume no liability for this advice)....buy
some chains that fit, buy some cables that fit, slap them on
once you have hit the snow line and hope for the best.
Assume the liability for whatever happens to your car,
wheels, and tires. Go skiing. I'd love to go to Mammouth!!!

Whatever you buy, try them on before you leave.

And maybe next time, look at an xi models.....what do they
call it...."the world's fastest snowplow"

Have fun.

Tom Allen
St. Louis
2002 330xi
Old January 1st 05, 02:36 PM
Harri Holopainen

>Can you find chains that will fit those size tires?
>With all the plastic in and around your wheel wells, if part
>of a "chain" breaks off and starts flapping around in your
>wheel well, you'll chew up the plastic real quick. Probably
>your biggest worry.

or having the chains slip bad and tear off brake hoses and other
nice-to-have features.

>Can the low-profile cables be mounted with your wheels?
>Don't ruin them.
>
>My advice (and I assume no liability for this advice)....buy
>some chains that fit, buy some cables that fit, slap them on
>once you have hit the snow line and hope for the best.
>Assume the liability for whatever happens to your car,
>wheels, and tires. Go skiing. I'd love to go to Mammouth!!!
>
>Whatever you buy, try them on before you leave.
>
>And maybe next time, look at an xi models.....what do they
>call it...."the world's fastest snowplow"

you might also consider getting a set of *real* winter tires, although
getting a set of those for just a skiing trip might be a bit of an
overkill

of course, AWD completely removes the need for chains

--
harri
525ixT -95

Old January 1st 05, 02:55 PM
Huw

"Harri Holopainen" > wrote in message
> ..
>>Can you find chains that will fit those size tires?
>>With all the plastic in and around your wheel wells, if part
>>of a "chain" breaks off and starts flapping around in your
>>wheel well, you'll chew up the plastic real quick. Probably
>>your biggest worry.

> or having the chains slip bad and tear off brake hoses and other
> nice-to-have features.
>
>>Can the low-profile cables be mounted with your wheels?
>>Don't ruin them.
>>
>>My advice (and I assume no liability for this advice)....buy
>>some chains that fit, buy some cables that fit, slap them on
>>once you have hit the snow line and hope for the best.
>>Assume the liability for whatever happens to your car,
>>wheels, and tires. Go skiing. I'd love to go to Mammouth!!!
>>
>>Whatever you buy, try them on before you leave.
>>
>>And maybe next time, look at an xi models.....what do they
>>call it...."the world's fastest snowplow"

> you might also consider getting a set of *real* winter tires, although
> getting a set of those for just a skiing trip might be a bit of an
> overkill
>
> of course, AWD completely removes the need for chains

All together now. *Oh no it doesn't!*

Huw

Old January 1st 05, 02:56 PM
Andrew Thomas

Jason G wrote:

> "You cannot mount snow chains on the following tires:
> 255/35 R 18
> 225/40 R 18
> "
>
> Which are my tires! Why can't I use low-profile cables like I have

on every
> other car I've ever owned? Is this an overprotective liability

disclaimer, or a
> true "you will ruin your car and be stranded" prohibition?

How low were your "low-profile" tyres on previous cars? Snow chains
are prohibited* by BMW in every country, so I doubt it's anything to do
with liability. it's probably because they don't fit properly, and
will ruin your alloy and possibly the tyre, too. So I suspect it's
more of a safety thing.

* Well, not prohibited, of course - you're free to do exactly as you
like, which includes going against better advice and wrecking your rear
alloys

Old January 2nd 05, 03:13 AM
Matt O'Toole

Harri Holopainen wrote:

> you might also consider getting a set of *real* winter tires, although
> getting a set of those for just a skiing trip might be a bit of an
> overkill
>
> of course, AWD completely removes the need for chains

The California Highway Patrol frequently allows only cars with chains.
Sometimes they'll allow 4WD with snow tires, but other times it's chains only.
This is mostly to slow people down. Californians drive like complete morons
anyway, but they don't adjust their driving style *at all* for poor conditions.
The carnage on the freeways during wet weather is incredible enough, let alone
in snow and ice (which there's more of in CA than most people might think).

Matt O.

Old January 2nd 05, 12:54 PM
Harri Holopainen

"Matt O'Toole" > wrote:
>The California Highway Patrol frequently allows only cars with chains.
>Sometimes they'll allow 4WD with snow tires, but other times it's chains only.
>This is mostly to slow people down. Californians drive like complete morons
>anyway, but they don't adjust their driving style *at all* for poor conditions.

the bad thing with AWD+snow tires is that you can drive 90mph on a
snowy road with no problem whatsoever, until you need to stop
acceleration is like in the summer, whereas braking distances are at
least x 4.

Old January 2nd 05, 04:05 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

I hope he was going down the slope backwards!

DAS
---

"Harri Holopainen" > wrote in message
.. .
[...]
> down because braking was not sufficient to slow the car
> down. fortunately he had a manual gearbox and ABS could be switched
> off so he braked with reverse gear.

[...]

Old January 2nd 05, 05:16 PM
Matt O'Toole

Harri Holopainen wrote:

> the bad thing with AWD+snow tires is that you can drive 90mph on a
> snowy road with no problem whatsoever, until you need to stop
> acceleration is like in the summer, whereas braking distances are at
> least x 4.

I've spent several nights in the parking lot of a local ski area because some
moron in a 4WD took out a dozen cars on his way down the hill, blocking the road
for hours. Every time I went skiing in CA I saw several accidents obviously
caused by aggressive driving. Getting people to use common sense is futile, so
they make everyone put chains on and go 25 MPH.

Matt O.

'05 S4 Cabriolet in the snow Ramzi Nassar Audi 3 December 30th 04 07:23 AM
Second set of wheels for snow tires ? Allroad 03 Audi 3 December 21st 04 12:50 AM
Snow Tires for a '98 740iL Rob Kos BMW 2 November 1st 04 02:50 PM
Snow tire recommendations for 1997 M3 sedan? Robert La Ferla BMW 3 October 17th 04 02:18 PM
Snow Chains in Audi A6 Quattro Ascot Audi 13 July 24th 04 05:35 PM