Steering damper shot?

Old November 17th 04, 03:02 AM
Jack Bilstein

Default Steering damper shot?

Hello,

I have a '66 Beetle...every once in a while, when I hit a bump in the road,
the steering wheel starts shaking violently until I slow way down or speed
up. I haven't done much front end work on it, but it looks to me that the
obvious problem is the steering damper.

- is this a correct diagnosis?

- any tips on replacing this? Procedure?

- if I do replace the SD, will I need to do a front end alignment as well?
Never done one of those...is it difficult?

Thanks in advance!!

Jack Bilstein

Old November 17th 04, 03:17 AM
Tim Rogers

"Jack Bilstein" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a '66 Beetle...every once in a while, when I hit a bump in the

road,
> the steering wheel starts shaking violently until I slow way down or speed
> up. I haven't done much front end work on it, but it looks to me that the
> obvious problem is the steering damper.
>
> - is this a correct diagnosis?
>
> - any tips on replacing this? Procedure?
>
> - if I do replace the SD, will I need to do a front end alignment as well?
> Never done one of those...is it difficult?

...............It's not difficult. Empty the gas tank and remove it. You'll
then have easy access. I'd look at the rest of the suspension and be sure
that the tie rod ends, steering arm connection, ball joints, etc. are tight
while the tank is out. If you do just replace the damper, no change in
alignment would result from that alone.

Old November 17th 04, 03:30 AM
SRVMoJo

Didn't have to remove the gas tank on my '69. Enough room in the right
wheel well. Didn't need the front aligned either. No more shakes.

Old November 17th 04, 04:10 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: Jack Bilstein

>I haven't done much front end work on it, but it looks to me that the
>obvious problem is the steering damper.
>
>- is this a correct diagnosis?

no....

>- any tips on replacing this?

replace it along with any worn tierods/balljoints/wheel bearings...a bad
steering damper will not cause violent shaking like you describe...a new one
won't fix it either....if you have play in the joints or wheel bearings, and
possibly need an alignment the front wheels will fight each other and when you
hit the bump they will "bounce" back and forth off each other....
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old November 17th 04, 11:06 AM
Howard Rose

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:17:37 -0500, "Tim Rogers" >
wrote:

>..............It's not difficult. Empty the gas tank and remove it. You'll
>then have easy access. I'd look at the rest of the suspension and be sure
>that the tie rod ends, steering arm connection, ball joints, etc. are tight
>while the tank is out. If you do just replace the damper, no change in
>alignment would result from that alone.

You don't have to remove the petrol/gas tank, but you'll loose a
little more skin from your knuckes doing it that way :-)

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old November 17th 04, 11:55 AM
Chris Perdue

>Is alignment something I can do? Or is that something that needs to be done
>at a garage with special equipment?

a home alignment *can* be done....i have done many on my cars and on my
racecar, but it is better left to a shop....if you do a google search on this
group someone actually posted a "how to" with pictures...
-------------------
Old November 17th 04, 11:55 AM
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Your, steering damper might be shot, but that's not the reason the front end
vibrates / resonates at certain speeds.
Check that the wheels are not bent and that they are ballanced. Then if
necessary change the steering damper, which might be shot from the excesive
vibration. It would be a good idea to check all front end components.

Bill,
'67 Bug.

Old November 17th 04, 12:04 PM
Tim Rogers

"SRVMoJo" > wrote in message

> Didn't have to remove the gas tank on my '69. Enough room in the right
> wheel well. Didn't need the front aligned either. No more shakes.

...............Removing the tank is easy and it makes it easier to work on
everything underneath the tank including the steering box and master
cylinder. JMO

Old November 17th 04, 12:11 PM
Tim Rogers

"Bill Spiliotopoulos" > wrote in message

> Your, steering damper might be shot, but that's not the reason the front

end
> vibrates / resonates at certain speeds.
> Check that the wheels are not bent and that they are ballanced. Then if
> necessary change the steering damper, which might be shot from the

excesive
> vibration. It would be a good idea to check all front end components.

.................Good point. A bent wheel is the culprit more often than most
people realise. When I installed new wheels and tires on my '77, I was
amazed at how smooth it started feeling at highway speeds. I thought at
first that it was just the tires but when I did a close inspection of the
the old wheels & tires, I discovered that 2 of the original wheels were
bent.

528i vs 530i vs 540i USA Versions FSJ BMW 37 January 16th 05 06:38 PM
Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 12:59 AM
Cracked Steering Damper Assembly- Be careful Jason 4x4 2 May 19th 04 12:42 PM