Want to replace carpet padding with ... ?

Old August 5th 07, 05:39 PM posted to alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
Gene[_4_]

Default Want to replace carpet padding with ... ?

Problem: car had a musty odor because the factory carpet rubber
backing between the carpet and Jute padding cracked and let water
migrate into the Jute padding. The pulled Jute padding was like placing a
saturated
piece of padding into a Zip-Lock bag and permanently sealing it. The odor
was REALLY bad.

My only solution was to completely remove the entire carpet from the car.
Not a fun job, so I want to do it right when I replace it into the car.

My goal is to re-seal the rubber cracks, then replace the padding with
something that is heat resistant, sound proofing, and will not absorb and
retain water as the Jute does. Something synthetic that will not mold, etc.

I would install a new carpet, but they all have the Jute padding - so I
would
just be back where I am now - in a short time. I need to do a custom job.
My old carpet is in great shape, looks new - it only need new padding.

Here is the plan: find a material with a foil backing, made from 100%
synthetic
material, that is suitable for the high heat floor pan. Something that will
feel
like padding, reflect heat, reflect sound, and not deteriorate with heat.

I have no problem cutting and gluing multiple layers of the selected
material.

QUESTION: what product do I use, and where do I go to get it?

THANKS,
Gene

Here are some links I found:

Thermal/ acoustic insulation:
http://www.stockinteriors.com/HeatSound.asp?Itemid=4783

This one looks good on paper.
Claims to be mold and mildew proof ?
http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/I...HeatShield.htm
Approximately 3/8" thick
Weight (approximate) 3.3-oz/sq.ft.
Acoustical NCR of .63
Tear strength of 125 lbs.
Mold and mildew proof
Needle punched synthetic fiber
Fire Retardant
Reflects 97% of infrared energy
Insulation "R" factor of 18.3

This one looks interesting:
Made from coarse denier non-woven polyester fiber.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Autom...QQcmdZViewItem

Old August 6th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nza

was going to suggest Dynamat:

http://www.dynamat.com

But that one you linked to in the ebay auction is much thicker.
The only advantage to the Dynamat, I would imagine, is the self-
adhesive nature of it.. however, they don't mention how difficult it
is to remove the stuff, should you need to in the future.

Old August 7th 07, 07:55 AM posted to alt.autos.chrysler.sebring,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_3_]

"Gene" > wrote in message

> Problem: car had a musty odor because the factory carpet rubber
> backing between the carpet and Jute padding cracked and let water
> migrate into the Jute padding. The pulled Jute padding was like placing a
> saturated
> piece of padding into a Zip-Lock bag and permanently sealing it. The odor
> was REALLY bad.
>
> My only solution was to completely remove the entire carpet from the car.
> Not a fun job, so I want to do it right when I replace it into the car.
>
> My goal is to re-seal the rubber cracks, then replace the padding with
> something that is heat resistant, sound proofing, and will not absorb and
> retain water as the Jute does. Something synthetic that will not mold,
> etc.
>
> I would install a new carpet, but they all have the Jute padding - so I
> would
> just be back where I am now - in a short time. I need to do a custom job.
> My old carpet is in great shape, looks new - it only need new padding.
>
> Here is the plan: find a material with a foil backing, made from 100%
> synthetic
> material, that is suitable for the high heat floor pan. Something that
> will feel
> like padding, reflect heat, reflect sound, and not deteriorate with heat.
>
> I have no problem cutting and gluing multiple layers of the selected
> material.
>
> QUESTION: what product do I use, and where do I go to get it?
>
> THANKS,
> Gene
>
> Here are some links I found:
>
> Thermal/ acoustic insulation:
> http://www.stockinteriors.com/HeatSound.asp?Itemid=4783
>
> This one looks good on paper.
> Claims to be mold and mildew proof ?
> http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/I...HeatShield.htm
> Approximately 3/8" thick
> Weight (approximate) 3.3-oz/sq.ft.
> Acoustical NCR of .63
> Tear strength of 125 lbs.
> Mold and mildew proof
> Needle punched synthetic fiber
> Fire Retardant
> Reflects 97% of infrared energy
> Insulation "R" factor of 18.3
>
> This one looks interesting:
> Made from coarse denier non-woven polyester fiber.
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Autom...QQcmdZViewItem

How about roofing felt--the black stuff that comes in rolls and
different thicknesses & goes on roof-sheeting and under the shingles?. They
get HOT! Cheap, too. s

Want to replace carpet padding with ... ? Gene[_4_] Technology 1 August 7th 07 07:55 AM
Carpet John Ferris Saturn 0 August 8th 06 01:02 AM
Headliner Padding (was headliner padding substitutes) Spike VW air cooled 6 July 13th 05 12:42 PM
Headliner padding substitues Spike VW air cooled 3 July 9th 05 10:46 PM
Where can I buy a carpet kit? Jess Ford Mustang 5 December 21st 04 09:48 PM