2004 Audi: US -> Canada

Old March 8th 05, 10:50 AM
Darren

Default 2004 Audi: US -> Canada

Hey all, just writing to see if anyone has experience with importing an Audi
from the US to Canada. I'm looking at a 2004 S4, and by all acounts,
(primarily government regulations, and Audi from a warranty perspective), it
seems like a 'go', but I'd like any real world feedback.

Thanks,
Darren

Old March 8th 05, 03:28 PM
Steve Sears

Darren,
Canada Customs has a decent amount of stuff on their web site, as does the
Registrar of Imported Vehicles - if the car was available in Canada when it
was new, then it will probably be allowed in, subject to any modifications
that were done to satisfy Canadian regs. You can find a list of banned
vehicles at:
www.riv.com - Registrar of Imported Vehicles.
Most importantly, contact US Customs well in advance and find out what they
will need - when I brought my '62 DKW out they needed a 72 hour advance
notice with the original documentation for the car. Don't forget to contact
US Customs - they can fine you, and confiscate the car, and your rig if
you're trailering it.
It's always best to talk to a live person instead of just reading stuff on
the net. Be prepared to pay for things like AC tax (~$100?), etc. etc. when
you get to Canada.
Be thankful it's not coming from overseas - you'd need to get it washed - so
what? See:
http://www.quattro.ca/85urquattro.html
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ - daily driver to be replaced by 1995.5 urS6 Avant when I am
allowed to import one
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - both from the US
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old March 10th 05, 06:50 AM
Pete

Any idea if the instrument cluster would have to be replaced considering
that the US versions already have km/h scale on the speedometer (alas
very small font in addition to the big mph font), and the odometer
display can be changed from miles to km with VAG-COM?

Pete

Old March 10th 05, 06:21 PM
Steve Sears

Pete,
I doubt that the change of the instrument cluster would be required. But
then again....
It would be best to contact the Registrar and ask whether the vehicle you
plan on importing needs any mods or can be brought in as-is.
Regards,
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - both US imports with MPH on the
speedo - no worries about speeding, though

Old March 10th 05, 09:55 PM
Darren

No fears there..the only normal requirements (as I've been lucky to import
before, just not an Audi), are typically daytime running lights and the
safety child hooks for the back. I'm covered with both of those I believe.

Darren

. ..

Old March 12th 05, 03:06 PM
Jay Somerset

I recently did this with a '98 A6. Instrument cluster will not be a problem,
as long as the speedometer has markings on it for kilometers/hour (while I'm
sure it does). Odometer in miles is not a problem, and this may be
resettable by a dealer or with a Vag-Com.

The one thing that you will need is the installation/activation of daytime
running lights (DRLs) in most Provinces (Ontario and Quebec for sure), and
verification that the car does not have to be modified to provide infant car
seat anchor points. I believe that all Audis imported into the US since
1997 do comply here.

--
Jay.
(remove dashes for legal email address)
Old March 13th 05, 03:10 AM
Darren

Jay, thanks for the followup response. I tried emailing you offline but it
bounced so I'll send this out.

Two questions:
1) Did you have any problem getting the Audi dealership (or anyone else) to
do the daytime running lights? With my current car that I imported, I just
rewired the fog lights to be on with the ignition.
2) For importing an Audi, did you have to pay duty or just GST? If duty,
do you remember the %?

Thanks,
Darren

Old March 13th 05, 06:47 PM
+ Rob +

"Darren" > wrote in message
> Jay, thanks for the followup response. I tried emailing you offline but

it
> bounced so I'll send this out.
>
> Two questions:
> 1) Did you have any problem getting the Audi dealership (or anyone else)

> do the daytime running lights? With my current car that I imported, I

just
> rewired the fog lights to be on with the ignition.
> 2) For importing an Audi, did you have to pay duty or just GST? If duty,
> do you remember the %?
>
> Thanks,
> Darren

Fortunately for you, daytime running do exist on all U.S. spec Audis.
They simply are not activated by default. So, like various other functions
that can be switched on or off in software (i.e. autolocking, etc.), they
can be activated with a VAG-COM utility either by a dealer or private party.
By the way -- in case you are new to Volkswagen/Audi -- VAG-COM is a
piece of diagnostic software that you can buy and run yourself. When
installed on a laptop and used in conjunction with and special cable that
connects to your car's cpu, it allows you to both diagnose problems and
change various switchable user settings (like the daytime running lights).

Rob
2002 A4 3.0Q (black)
2005 TT 3.2 DSG (ocean blue)