Best Shop Manuals for '94 Explorer?

Old September 25th 05, 04:05 PM

Default Best Shop Manuals for '94 Explorer?

I just bought a 94 Explorer, and like to do as much of my own work as
possible.
Can anyone recommend a shop manual for the 94 Explorer which has been
found to be superior?

Also, I was interested in getting a Ford service manual, and was just
looking on ebay. I found a used 2 volume set for $130, and a CD that is
said to cover "AEROSTAR, BRONCO, CARGO, DIESEL ENGINE, ECONOLINE (
E150,E250,E350), EXPLORER, F + B SERIES HEAVY TRUCK, F150, F250 , F
SUPER DUTY , F450 ,( INCLUDING THE DIESEL ENGINE) , L SERIES HEAVY
TRUCK, RANGER, VILLAGER".

The CD is considerably less expensive than the paper manual. Can anyone
comment on how good that CD is? I'm used to computers and have a laser
printer, so if it's the same as the paper manual, I think I'd prefer
the CD.
Thanks for your help.
-Paul

Old September 25th 05, 10:27 PM
Ulysses

Hi. So you ended up getting a '94? Have fun.

I don't know that much about which manual is which. I just have the Hayne's
manual and it's pretty good expcept it has almost NO information on AC and
automatic transmissions. It's very clear, however, on how to replace engine
gaskets and things like that and some fairly good troubleshooting info. I'm
not sure why you would need a $130 manual instead of a $15 manual unless you
are rebuilding your automatic transmission or something.

ups.com...

Old September 26th 05, 12:33 AM
stevie

got a Ford CD on ebay. may not be what you're looking for, but you won't be
out much money.
ups.com...

Old September 26th 05, 01:07 AM

Ulysses wrote:
> Hi. So you ended up getting a '94? Have fun.
>
> I don't know that much about which manual is which. I just have the Hayne's
> manual and it's pretty good expcept it has almost NO information on AC and
> automatic transmissions.

Yeah, I was going to buy a '92, but changed my mind. This '94 has
higher miles but is in better condition. It's an XLT with manual
transmission. It runs and drives well, but does need some work. It was
cheap- I was tempted to spend a lot more and get a newer one, but it's
not going to be a daily driver. I figured why have a bunch of money
tied up in something that sits most of the time- heck, I could get a
ski boat if I wanted that. ;-)

The transmission plugs need replacing -I'm going to put in platinums
because they'll last 100,000 miles.

The speedometer also reads too high and starts swinging erratically
above about 60 mph. I only test drove it to 55, and didn't catch that.
I read a lot of posts about this problem, some saying it's the speedo
cable, others saying there is no speedo cable, it's electronic using
the VSS (vehicle speed sensor)signal. So I'll have to sort that out.
Interesting that it reads too high...

I prefer Haynes manuals to Chiltons, but thought I'd ask in case there
is a "bible" for the Explorer. The service manual on CD is cheap, so I
may get that anyway.

Just kidding about the platinum transmission plugs. ;-))
-Paul

Old September 26th 05, 01:13 AM

stevie wrote:
> got a Ford CD on ebay. may not be what you're looking for, but you won't be
> out much money.

Yeah, they're cheaper than a Haynes manual. Is yours extremely
detailed? I'd really like to have complete, accurate electrical
schematics fpr one thing, and lots of detail on the smog equipment and
troubleshooting procedures.

-Paul

Old September 26th 05, 05:49 AM
ross n via CarKB.com

If that cd is supposed to be the factory service manual, then I would get it.
It has TONS of info in it. I use it, and once you learn your way around, it
has ALL the answers unlike Haynes or Chilton

Old September 26th 05, 04:08 PM
Ulysses

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ulysses wrote:
> > Hi. So you ended up getting a '94? Have fun.
> >
> > I don't know that much about which manual is which. I just have the

Hayne's
> > manual and it's pretty good expcept it has almost NO information on AC

and
> > automatic transmissions.

> Yeah, I was going to buy a '92, but changed my mind. This '94 has
> higher miles but is in better condition. It's an XLT with manual
> transmission. It runs and drives well, but does need some work. It was
> cheap- I was tempted to spend a lot more and get a newer one, but it's
> not going to be a daily driver. I figured why have a bunch of money
> tied up in something that sits most of the time- heck, I could get a
> ski boat if I wanted that. ;-)
>
> The transmission plugs need replacing -I'm going to put in platinums
> because they'll last 100,000 miles.
>
> The speedometer also reads too high and starts swinging erratically
> above about 60 mph. I only test drove it to 55, and didn't catch that.
> I read a lot of posts about this problem, some saying it's the speedo
> cable, others saying there is no speedo cable, it's electronic using
> the VSS (vehicle speed sensor)signal. So I'll have to sort that out.
> Interesting that it reads too high...
>
> I prefer Haynes manuals to Chiltons, but thought I'd ask in case there
> is a "bible" for the Explorer. The service manual on CD is cheap, so I
> may get that anyway.
>
> Just kidding about the platinum transmission plugs. ;-))
> -Paul

Well, not kidding, I got 100,000 miles on my platinum plugs. They looked
perfect except they looked like they should have been changed at 75,000 ;-)

I thought about getting one of those manuals on CD (very cheap on eBay) but
I prefer being able to flip through my manual and walk around with it and
put it under the hood of my Explorer and like the fact that it doesn't need
any batteries or other electricity. But if the CD has additional
information then that would be worth getting. You can also find alternate
instructions on some things on Auto Zone's web site. Since I am a long way
from being what would rightfully be called an "auto mechanic" I like to get
all the instructions I can find before starting any major jobs ;-)

Old September 26th 05, 05:00 PM

Ulysses wrote:

> Well, not kidding, I got 100,000 miles on my platinum plugs. They looked
> perfect except they looked like they should have been changed at 75,000 ;-)

I was just looking thru the records my '94 came with. The stock
platinum plugs are supposed to go 60K miles. So you're probably right.

> I thought about getting one of those manuals on CD (very cheap on eBay) but
> I prefer being able to flip through my manual and walk around with it

Yeah- but the paper one would cost me 15X as much- used. Plus it's a
lot easier and quicker to search thru a CD than a manual. I figure
I'll print out what I need before starting a job, and have the best of
both worlds. Greasy finger prints on my keyboard would be a problem.
;-)

> Since I am a long way
> from being what would rightfully be called an "auto mechanic" I like to get
> all the instructions I can find before starting any major jobs ;-)

That's just being smart. I had two semesters of autoshop in highschool,
many moons ago. Best class I ever took. We had a great teacher who also
taught electronics, so he really knew his theory. My line of work
(electronics) is so broad and changes so fast that you have to be good
at using manuals. So same here- I research before starting a job. The
net is fantastic for that- I'm going to post the info I found on
changing the plastic transmission shift tower plugs.

I ordered an old Haynes and the CD on ebay (cheap!), and I'll probably
buy the new Haynes locally. The new Haynes covers a lot of years, but
the old one is said to have more detail specific to '94 Explorers.
-Paul