'96 LHS cats

Old April 27th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Default '96 LHS cats

Mike Easter wrote:

> I'm thinking that if the same engine didn't even have a 3rd cat, with my
> brand new rear cat taking care of a little weakness in one of the front
> cats, I'll probably be OK anyway.

Not if the front cats are reduction catalysts and the rear cat is the
oxidation catalyst.... if so then all 3 need to work. I'm not sure how
the 96 LH is set up in that regard.

But you're still HEAVILY speculating. Cats rarely fail, CELs are almost
always set by some other problem throwing the O2 readings out of balance.
Old April 27th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mike Easter

Steve wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> MoPar Man wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your input.

>>> I've been told that the catalytic convertor units (left and right) are
>>> very expensive. Are you sure that your's is defective?

>> It passed CA smog check 1 year ago. Recently the check engine light
>> came on which 'suggested' the R cat's function. A friend with some
>> experience had a computer that allowed us/him (I was confused by the
>> dynamic readout) to look at the upstream and downstream O2 levels
>> comparing one side to the other. If people like to think of cats as
>> getting 'tired', I suppose that was the idea he was trying to get
>> across. He turned off the check engine light and I'm waiting to see
>> if it comes back on now.

> Its much more probable that what is getting "tired" is either the
> upstream or downstream O2 sensor that is then giving false erroneous
> readings to the engine management system. Either that or another engine
> management problem like a leaky injector causing an excessively low O2
> reading on one bank but not the other, or an intake leak causing a high
> O2 reading on one bank but not the other. Those upstream cats very
> rarely fail on LH cars, unless there's a catastrophic problem like a
> badly leaking fuel injector or an un-treated misfire that causes a
> severe overheat.

Ah, so. Perhaps it needs more accurate diagnostics than he was using.
Those O2 levels upstream and downstream were all over the map on both
sides to my untrained eye.

--
Mike Easter

Old April 27th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mike Easter

Steve wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>

>> I'm thinking that if the same engine didn't even have a 3rd cat, with
>> my brand new rear cat taking care of a little weakness in one of the
>> front cats, I'll probably be OK anyway.
>>

> Not if the front cats are reduction catalysts and the rear cat is the
> oxidation catalyst.... if so then all 3 need to work. I'm not sure how
> the 96 LH is set up in that regard.
>
> But you're still HEAVILY speculating. Cats rarely fail, CELs are almost
> always set by some other problem throwing the O2 readings out of
> balance.

This is 3 days later and I'm still waiting for the light to come back on.

--
Mike Easter
Old April 28th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

Mike,

If it does, make sure it isn't just the O2 sensor... A much simpler and
cheaper fix.

Bob

Old April 28th 09, 10:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Phillip Mcracken[_2_]

the rear cat is the reduction cat, the post cat o2 sensors are always behind
the ox cat.

Old April 28th 09, 10:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

If you do replace O2 sensors, do *not* use Bosch sensors - they do not
work on the LH cars.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

Bob Shuman wrote:
> Mike,
>
> If it does, make sure it isn't just the O2 sensor... A much simpler and
> cheaper fix.
>
> Bob
>
> "Mike Easter" > wrote in message
>> Steve wrote:

>>> Not if the front cats are reduction catalysts and the rear cat is the
>>> oxidation catalyst.... if so then all 3 need to work. I'm not sure how
>>> the 96 LH is set up in that regard.
>>>
>>> But you're still HEAVILY speculating. Cats rarely fail, CELs are almost
>>> always set by some other problem throwing the O2 readings out of
>>> balance.

>> This is 3 days later and I'm still waiting for the light to come back on.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Easter

Help keeping cats off my car Curtis Sweeney Ford Mustang 18 February 6th 08 04:14 AM
liz! You'll fear cats. Sometimes, I'll believe the desk Walter General 0 January 15th 05 01:44 PM
New Cats 4.12 Mitch_A Simulators 0 December 14th 04 12:05 AM
97 5.0 cats klb Ford Explorer 2 November 6th 04 08:55 PM
cats and cars tonyrama Mazda 15 September 7th 04 03:54 AM