93 3.3 GV Trans leak

Old November 7th 04, 03:41 PM
ncs

Default 93 3.3 GV Trans leak

I'm still trying to diagnose a small transmission leak from the drivers side
cv. I've replaced the CV joint for the 2nd time and it's still leaking, but
not as much as before.

Larry, I know you mentioned that the carrier bearing might be shot. My
transmission guy said it's solid and he didn't find any slop. I changed the
timing chain this summer and was wondering if it is possible the engine is
not centered anymore and the cv is not seated all the way in the trans. I
intend to check the cv length, it should be between 7.2 and 7.6 inches. I'm
going to check it and then take it back to the trans. guy to see if he can
see anything else. Had it back a number of times and he didn't see
anything. Even mic'd the old cv against the new and didn't find any
variations in the circumference. Still trying to determine what's causing
it to leak. No noise from the cv and all the hoses etc. are fine. Any
additional things to check out is appreciated.

thanks,
Nick

Old November 8th 04, 12:05 PM
jdoe

I worked on one once that was leaking very slghtly from the solenoid pack.
It looked for all the world like the axle. There are many ways oil can get
there. Pretty easy to tell on the engine. Did the bolts all line up in the
same markings? If not you might be on something. But it's pretty hard to
misalign them that much. Make sure the fluid really IS coming from the axle.
Has the seal itself been replaced? THat one is a bite to do.
Larry

Old November 8th 04, 12:05 PM
jdoe

Old November 8th 04, 02:19 PM
ncs

Thanks Larry, the bolts for the mount on the passenger side (the one I had
to remove) did not look like they were lined up exactly as they were before
I removed it. I didn't loosen the front mount so I'm thinking, like you,
that it would be hard to throw it out of alignment if that mount was still
tight. But I'll check the measurement. The seal was replaced twice, first
time thinking it might be bad (which the trans guy said looked ok) and the
second time he tried a different style.

Nick

Old November 8th 04, 02:19 PM
ncs