In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction

Old October 29th 04, 07:10 PM
Kirk Matheson

"Al Smith" > wrote in message >...
> "Silver Surfer" > wrote in message
> > Maybe I'm dense or something, but how can the in-tank fuel pump be blamed
> > for these two incidents?

>>> Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>

I have found that one cannot be too careful when working with
gasoline.

Last winter, a person in my neighborhood was working on his motorcycle
in his carport. He setup an electric heater to keep warm. He
disconnected the fuel line, and some gasoline spilled out on the
floor. As soon as the fumes came in contact with the heater, well you
can imagine what happened. The cold dry air didn't help either.

Because the fire dept. was able to respond quickly, most of the damage
was confined to the carport. The bike was a total loss.

-Kirk Matheson
Old October 29th 04, 07:10 PM
Kirk Matheson

Old October 29th 04, 10:12 PM
Mark

AMEN to that!

Old October 29th 04, 10:12 PM
Mark

AMEN to that!

Old October 29th 04, 10:14 PM
Mark

actually a FULL gas tank is safer because of less fumes in the tank

Old October 29th 04, 10:14 PM
Mark

Old October 29th 04, 10:32 PM
SRG

"Nomen Nescio" > wrote in message
There are four self-locking nuts on a Wal-Mart
> shopping cart.

There's one NUT right here in this newsgroup, Why, it's YOU Nomen!!!!

Old October 29th 04, 10:32 PM
SRG

Old October 29th 04, 11:18 PM
WhyDoYouAsk

Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Have you all observed that not one automobile has a drain valve installed
> to the fuel tank? Obviously, a drain valve installed at the tank sump
> would safely allow the complete drainage of a fuel tank before in-tank-fuel
> pump or fuel gauge sending unit servicing. To the drain valve, a length of
> hose would be attached and led to one or more 5 gallon Jerry cans. Once
> drained, the fuel tanks are much safer to work on, although caution should
> still be exercised.
>
> Attempting to drain a fuel tank by disconnecting the fuel outlet hose and
> attaching a shop pump will drain all the usable fuel, but not all the fuel.
> A gallon or more gasoline will be retained in the tank.
>
> Fuel tank drain valves have always been required on aircraft, but totally
> ignored for cars. They are useful for draining water and or other
> contaminants. I am sure that is a useful feature for mechanics trying to
> efficiently diagnose or correct a refractory fuel system problem.
>
> There may be a few objections to a drain valve, but there are workarounds.
> 1. Makes it easy to steal fuel. 2. Vandalism and arson. 3. Accidental
> collision damage to valve and resultant fuel leakage. 4. Leakage. 5. Cost
> Workarounds are 1. build in key lock 2. build in key lock 3. Locate tank
> higher than low point of nearby structures 4. install screw cap as per fuel
> injection rail shraeder valve. 5. cost is a non-issue for safety,
> particularly on $30,000 plus cars.
>
> A drainable fuel tank makes fuel pump servicing safer than presently;
> however, an external pump design is still much safer yet. One reader
> suggested that the mechanic wait until the fuel level is half or less --
> good luck if you fill your tank and 10 minutes later the pump quits. When
> the pump quits, the engine stops right now! Now, if you had a DUAL fuel
> pump system, you actually could run the fuel level down. I have addressed
> this issue befo dual pumps, automatic controls, and warning indicators
> when one fails.
>
> Think your car is advanced? There are four self-locking nuts on a Wal-Mart
> shopping cart. They retain the casters. How many self-locking nuts are on
> your $30,000 car. My car has none that I'm aware of. Car manufacturers
> will do anything to avoid self lockers because of cost. Instead, auto
> engineers did their own work-around for plain fasteners. They specify
> torques at least 150% the maximum recommended by fastener torque tables.
> Check it out. Every important fastener on your car is overtightened and
> overstressed.

Please cite references for for your accusations

Old October 29th 04, 11:18 PM
WhyDoYouAsk