Honda Fit or Scion xA?

Old November 10th 06, 11:32 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.toyota
Don Fearn

Default Honda Fit or Scion xA?

I think it was "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > who
stated:

>In article <3788249.d55MKlOzoD@misha>,
> "Mikhail T." > wrote:
>
>> We are looking for a small car to get around city and be easy to find
>> parking for. Has to be easy to get in and out. Both Fit and xA fit the
>> bill...

>Scion xB.

No side airbags. (The original poster mentioned them, so I assume
they're important.)

-Don (enjoying his xBox despite that lack)
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman
Old November 10th 06, 11:36 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.toyota
Don Fearn

I think it was Don Fearn > who stated:

>I think it was "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > who
>stated:
>
>>In article <3788249.d55MKlOzoD@misha>,
>> "Mikhail T." > wrote:
>>
>>> We are looking for a small car to get around city and be easy to find
>>> parking for. Has to be easy to get in and out. Both Fit and xA fit the
>>> bill...

>>Scion xB.

>No side airbags. (The original poster mentioned them, so I assume
>they're important.)

Not to mention that xBoxen aren't really in the same category -- MUCH
more interior space than either the Fit or the xA . . . . ;^)

-Don (who carried home a 10'x16' shed in his xB; in several trips ;^)
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman
Old November 11th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bob[_9_]

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 20:02:24 -0500, "Mikhail T."
> wrote:

>We are looking for a small car to get around city and be easy to find
>parking for. Has to be easy to get in and out. Both Fit and xA fit the
>bill...

My parents, both in 80's, survived a head-on in an xA. No serious
injuries, just beat up a little. The car was a total.

According to a consumers' mag description of the Fit, the gas tank is
under the passenger's seat. Somehow, that doesn't seem to be a really
great idea. Maybe someone else can shed some light on that issue.

Herb
Old November 11th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

"Bob" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 20:02:24 -0500, "Mikhail T."
> > wrote:
>
>>We are looking for a small car to get around city and be easy to find
>>parking for. Has to be easy to get in and out. Both Fit and xA fit the
>>bill...

> My parents, both in 80's, survived a head-on in an xA. No serious
> injuries, just beat up a little. The car was a total.
>
> According to a consumers' mag description of the Fit, the gas tank is
> under the passenger's seat. Somehow, that doesn't seem to be a really
> great idea. Maybe someone else can shed some light on that issue.
>
> Herb

Gas tank in the middle of the car seems like a safe spot to me. Plus those
plastic tanks are darn strong these days.

Old November 11th 06, 04:49 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.toyota
mike[_15_]

Mikhail T. wrote:
> The second-best was Fit, according to CR with 64-points to Versa's 65. But
> all of Toyotas/Scions were below Korean models, and Scion xA, in
> particular, had only 37 :-(

which means... absolutely nothing. nissan was a non-issue for me. i
looked at the fit, i looked at the yaris hatch. going with the xA was a
no-brainer.
Old January 5th 07, 11:54 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.toyota
Robert A. Cunningham

"Mikhail T." > wrote in message
> Art wrote:
>> Consumer Reports just rated the cars you are looking at. Check it out
>> at
>> your local library. I think Fit was their favorite but they actually
>> indicated that the slightly outdated Focus with all of the incentives
>> available could be a better buy than all of the new models. Worth
>> reading.

> Thanks, I'm actually, their Internet-subscriber. Nissan Versa is the best,
> in their opinion, although Fit is the most economical.

Actually, Consumer Reports liked the Honda Fit with manual transmission much
better than
the Versa with manual trans., but they liked the Versa automatic better than
the Fit automatic

Old January 6th 07, 02:17 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.toyota
Gordon McGrew

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 03:54:26 -0800, "Robert A. Cunningham"
> wrote:

>"Mikhail T." > wrote in message
>> Art wrote:
>>> Consumer Reports just rated the cars you are looking at. Check it out
>>> at
>>> your local library. I think Fit was their favorite but they actually
>>> indicated that the slightly outdated Focus with all of the incentives
>>> available could be a better buy than all of the new models. Worth
>>> reading.

>> Thanks, I'm actually, their Internet-subscriber. Nissan Versa is the best,
>> in their opinion, although Fit is the most economical.

The Fit AT which scored 64 was a base model which cost $1400 less than
the Versa SL which scored 65. The MT Fit scored 75 so it was much
better than the AT Versa, largely because it was the better equipped
Sport model. One might surmise that, if a Fit Sport AT had been
tested, it would have scored better than 65 and the cost would have
been about equal to the Versa SL.

Also, CR reported overall mpg for the several months they owned the
cars:

Fit MT 34
Fit AT 32
Versa MT 29
Versa AT 28

Finally, Nissan's reliability has been erratic ever since Renault took
over (big surprise.)