1991 front axle ID

Old November 11th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
ElGwako

Default 1991 front axle ID

trying to buy some front end parts. The guy at the counter needs to know
what front axle i have (dana ???) HOw can one tell by the code as to which
axle it is?
thanks

PS how about if that sticker is no longer on the drivers door.

Old November 11th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Charlie Bress

"ElGwako" > wrote in message
. ..
> trying to buy some front end parts. The guy at the counter needs to know
> what front axle i have (dana ???) HOw can one tell by the code as to which
> axle it is?
> thanks
>
> PS how about if that sticker is no longer on the drivers door.

The 92 Service Manual says the Explorer 4x4 uses Dana model 35 front axle.
I would guess that the 91 was the same.

Charlie

Old November 11th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
ElGwako

the clerk at the store is telling me there are two options. Of course he
told me to look at the vin code which i knew was wrong...you need the axle
code off the door.
I got the code....45
now i'm just thumping the net for what the code means in terms of which
axle.
I got that it is a 3.55 ratio...other than that i am stumped thus far.
I guess i need to pull it apart and compare the parts.

Old November 11th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Camperken

'91 Manual says to check tag on axle. Dana 35 code is F07A while
the Dana 28 code is E87A. No mention of a code 45 for front axle.
The only axle identification I found was for the rear.

Hope this helps
John Normile

Old November 11th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
ElGwako

hey thank you...if i turn up ANY of those numbers i should be OK
thanks!!
. ..