Power Window Motor removal

Old September 17th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Sam[_3_]

Default Power Window Motor removal

94 EB 4 door with power windows.
got the door panels off.
drilled out the pop rivets.
motor is hanging loose except for electical connection and 2 cable
connections that transfer power to the up and down mechanism.
I disconnected the electrical connection however I HAVE NOT figured
out how to remove the other 2 connections.

HELP !!!

Sam in Raleigh.
Old September 18th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Sam[_3_]

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 18:39:30 GMT, Sam > wrote:

> 94 EB 4 door with power windows.
>got the door panels off.
>drilled out the pop rivets.
>motor is hanging loose except for electical connection and 2 cable
>connections that transfer power to the up and down mechanism.
>I disconnected the electrical connection however I HAVE NOT figured
>out how to remove the other 2 connections.
>
>HELP !!!
>
>Sam in Raleigh.

I figured it out. After removing the pop rivets.....I put my hand
back in the door to hold the motor ..moved the motor into position so
as to be able to access the screws that attach the motor to the mount
assembly that attaches to the door. I manipulated the motor so that
one at a time each screw was over one of the holes in the door thus
allowing me to access the screw with a drive. The screws that attach
the motor to the mount assembly had square holes for drive. I do not
know what you call that kind of drive but I had one and was able to
remove the screws. The screws were long and once removed the motor
assembly split in two which separated the motor from the drive
mechanism that has the cables that crank the window up and down. I
removed the separated half which contained the motor assembly.

I first removed the service cover for the drive gear and what a mess.
A bunch of plastic pieces were in bits and pieces thus becoming
apparent why the motor was just free spinning. The little plastics
pieces were the little cams which transferred power from the motor
drive gear to the shaft which spins the metal gear that meshes with
the gear mechanism of the cable assembly still left in the door.
I totally disassembled the window motor to clean the plastic pieces.
This caused the repair to take much longer because the brushes popped
out and the springs went sailing away never to be found.
I removed a couple of push button ball point pens to use their springs
for the tension the brushes need to push against the armature. What a
time I had getting the brushes to stay after installing the brushes. I
had to carefully insert the grease seal with enough clearance
remaining to provide the stopper needed to hold the brushes in place
until I could put the cover back on.

I put the window motor all back together and reattached it to the
motor mount assembly with the long screws. Then the mount assembly
had to be mounted to the door however there were no pop rivets any
more. I used some 2 inch long machine screws with washers and lock
washers. I routed the power cord to its connection and tested the
window.

WOW...the motor was is so quiet and works perfectly. I attached the
speaker to the door and then installed the door skin. Made sure all
was back together.

I am now finished with door one with 3 more left. I will get these
done this week at night in the garage.

I took pictures but some of them did not focus too well. I will take
some better pictures this week of the other doors. I will post an
update about the project with picture info if you want. Just let me
know here.

Thanks,

Sam in Raleigh.

Old September 20th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim[_15_]

Sam, when you get a chance I would like to see your pictures of this..
jim
Old September 20th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Sam[_3_]

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 01:09:42 GMT, Jim > wrote:

> Sam, when you get a chance I would like to see your pictures of this..
>jim

I am going to take some better pictures today when I continue the
job..

I completed both drivers side doors. Awesome!

Last night I started on the passenger side front door.
The window came off the track and I had to learn how to glass back on
track. Now I have to remove the motor again as I did not install it
at the right point along the guide as the motor gear teeth and guide
gear teeth are meshing at the wrong point. When I removed the guide
to address an issue I had a hard time getting the spring loaded gear
on the guide at the right position. I thought I had it in the right
position and once put back together the window motor did not mesh
properly so I stopped immediately and went to bed.

Will get back on it today.

Sam in Raleigh.
Old November 12th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
fladevil

"Sam" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 01:09:42 GMT, Jim > wrote:
>
>> Sam, when you get a chance I would like to see your pictures of this..
>>jim

> I am going to take some better pictures today when I continue the
> job..
>
> I completed both drivers side doors. Awesome!
>
> Last night I started on the passenger side front door.
> The window came off the track and I had to learn how to glass back on
> track. Now I have to remove the motor again as I did not install it
> at the right point along the guide as the motor gear teeth and guide
> gear teeth are meshing at the wrong point. When I removed the guide
> to address an issue I had a hard time getting the spring loaded gear
> on the guide at the right position. I thought I had it in the right
> position and once put back together the window motor did not mesh
> properly so I stopped immediately and went to bed.
>
> Will get back on it today.
>

> Sam in Raleigh.

Sam,
Do you have the pictures of motor assembly?
All four of my windows are shot and I'm starting with the drivers side
first.

I'd like to ask a few questions.
My motor spins, but nothing happens. Do know what the signs of a bad
regulator vs. the motor?

I read alot of people talking about replacing plastic pieces in the motor
assembly, but what do they look like and where do they go?

Thanks
Paul